Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #151
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: First GURPS Mage

<Moderator>
Keep it civil here please. Things are getting heated from several posters. Stop now please.
</Moderator>
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #152
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander View Post
No, it doesn't. It depends entirely on your character concept. It's perfectly valid to have a Mage who can cast 3 spells in the same turn while he concentrates, but can't Concentrate and Move at the same time.

It may not be what the you or the OP wants, but it's valid nonetheless. I doubt I would take it for a Mage build either, but the Limitation exists and I thought it appropriate to point it out.
I never said it wasn't a valid limitation, it's great for thing like Psi...

But please point out 1 spell user build that would benefit for Compatimized mind with this limitation, and I will conseed my point
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #153
Kazander

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I never said it wasn't a valid limitation, it's great for thing like Psi...

But please point out 1 spell user build that would benefit for Compatimized mind with this limitation, and I will conseed my point
Any spell user that wants to cast multiple spells that don't require attack actions.

FREX:

Force Dome and Major Healing (i.e. Turtle Mode)

Invisibility and Flight (for escape the next turn)

etc.

As I said, it's not a great build and I probably wouldn't do it (-10% just isn't worth it), but it works in some situations.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #154
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godogma View Post
I'll leave off your very condescending pet shop analogy . . .
The point wasn't to be a condescending jerk, but to use humor to illustrate one of my favorite of life's cruel lessons: Sometimes when we ask for help, the help we get isn't the help we want but the help we need.

Although, in all fairness, my puckish nature may have lent a slight tone of condescension ;-)

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #155
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Any spell user that wants to cast multiple spells that don't require attack actions.

FREX:

Force Dome and Major Healing (i.e. Turtle Mode)

Invisibility and Flight (for escape the next turn)

etc.

As I said, it's not a great build and I probably wouldn't do it (-10% just isn't worth it), but it works in some situations.
Not really the Turtle Mage would want to Drop Shield/not pay maintain) Move + Cast, Else he much better of either more ER and/or More Regeneration than speeding up the drain even quicker.

And Healer Mage most definatatle want Move + Cast
Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #156
Kazander

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Not really the Turtle Mage would want to Drop Shield/not pay maintain) Move + Cast, Else he much better of either more ER and/or More Regeneration than speeding up the drain even quicker.

And Healer Mage most definatatle want Move + Cast
You're assuming that a Move will get you out of the dangerous situation you're already in (i.e. the reason he needs Healing). IME, that's rarely true unless your Move score is significantly higher than your opponent's, because you typically have to Turn as well as Move, reducing your overall Move. Unless you're backing up (at half Move), you often be exposing your back to a missile attack--or long reach.

Quite possibly you're adopting Turtle Mode because of a reduced Move situation; low FP, low HP, crippled/lost leg or foot, failed resistance roll against Rooted Feet, Glue, etc.

The build is also applicable on the offense; you can cast multiple spells of any type that doesn't require an Attack. This should leave any Area, Resisted, Information or Regular spell. You could cast 3 Tanglefoot at the same time (affecting 3 opponents simultaneously), or 3 Charm spells, etc.

And of course he'd *want* Move + Cast....that's why this is a 'Limitation'! :-)
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #157
Jerander

Did I read somewhere upthread that this character has a form of magical gadgeteering? If so, then build a magical ring of laying waste (or similar).

Or, with the nice high skill levels in *all* spells, start building up some massive powerstones, then quick-n-dirty some more conventional magical items of laying waste with levels of Power and/or dedicated/exclusive powerstones built in.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #158
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
You're assuming that a Move will get you out of the dangerous situation you're already in
Not I'm assuming the reason he can't wait for the next second to cast healing isn't going to be used move to get out of the way, but to get into danger to help his fallen complain before it's too late.

And the reason a turn mage want's to move and cast is his biggest weakness is oppentes moving out of effective range.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #159
Psychotime

http://www.grv.it/temp/newspells.pdf

Apparently the member Lupo has done something you could find useful.

Tags
combat, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, first mage, magic! mages