Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Shadow1psc

Default A few questions about fighting!

This thread might have been more appropriately named 'Fighting multiple monsters'. I apologize for the ambiguous title.

I apologize in advance if they've been asked before, or seem more common sense/self explanatory, but my group likes to argue, and I keep forgetting to ask if these would be the way to rule but...

1) When fighting a monster with a special condition (IE: Says you can only use your levels (no bonus) against it) is joined by another, how does the condition work?

I rule that the condition applies to the whole fight. Only your levels count vs. the total of both monsters.

2) When fighting multiple monsters, can you choose to flee from one, but fight the other(s)?

I rule that if you choose to run, you're running from the entire engagement (rolling for each bad stuff still, of course).

3) When activating a charm effect (Wizard or otherwise) in combat with multiple monsters, when is treasure allocated?

This is asked, because I rule that treasure is allocated when all monsters are dealt with. The player in question argues that you can discard your hand, charm one, collect the treasure, then charm again (etc.) Effectively never losing, but admittedly never having any cards (or running out of things to discard should a monster only be worth one treasure).

Anyway, these have all been posed to me at work, when I can post, 'cause we tend to play at Denny's and forget about our questions before the night is through (I mean, seriously long 10pm to 2+ am Munchkin sessions). Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Shadow1psc; 01-20-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Title
Shadow1psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
comino

Default Re: A few questions about fighting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow1psc View Post
1) When fighting a monster with a special condition (IE: Says you can only use your levels (no bonus) against it) is joined by another, how does the condition work?

I rule that the condition applies to the whole fight. Only your levels count vs. the total of both monsters.
That's right.
comino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Nerftw

You are correct on all three. And, in fact, all three of your questions are answered in the rules under "fighting multiple monsters".
(In the old rules, it's not under a specific heading, and the treasure question is under treasures, though)
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
I apologize in advance if they've been asked before, or seem more common sense/self explanatory, but my group likes to argue, and I keep forgetting to ask if these would be the way to rule but...
Lucky for you, all of these questions are answered in the Munchkin FAQ, so now you have backup the next time your group starts to argue.

Quote:
Combat conditions stack, just as you said. However, you Run Away independently from all monsters; if one of them gives you a penalty, that's for that monster only.

Quote:
2) When fighting multiple monsters, can you choose to flee from one, but fight the other(s)?
No. If you decide to run, you run from all of them.

Quote:
3) When activating a charm effect (Wizard or otherwise) in combat with multiple monsters, when is treasure allocated?
This wasn't as clear as it could have been in the old version of the rules, but the newer versions make it very clear that no rewards for combat are allocated until the entire combat is resolved.

Thanks for your questions! I'm glad I was able to tell you that you're 100% correct . . .

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Shadow1psc

Question #1 came about from Rokukourobi (god that's probably spelled so wrong) of Munchkin Fu.

IIRC, stating you can only use your base level against him (or was it bonus' only and no base level?). So if he's joined then by anything, does that apply to the entire total? For simplicity's sake;

If I'm level 5 and have +5 worth of gear, vs. that monster and any other, it's their total level vs. my 5 right? The question was also just posed to me, if you charm/otherwise remove said Rokukourobi(sp), does his effect persist until combat is over and he is removed, or does the effect remain present? I imagine this also may differ per card that can have a removal effect, and this is probably getting convoluted fast (should I make another topic?)
Shadow1psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
IIRC, stating you can only use your base level against him (or was it bonus' only and no base level?). So if he's joined then by anything, does that apply to the entire total?
Yes, it does. It gets worse: in Munchkin, you can get a situation where one monster says "Use your Level only" and another monster says, "Your Level does not count," and then you're REALLY in a world of hurt.

Quote:
if you charm/otherwise remove said Rokukourobi(sp), does his effect persist until combat is over and he is removed, or does the effect remain present?
If a monster is bounced out of a fight, because it was charmed or Magic Lamped or otherwise removed entirely, any special effects it might have brought are no longer in force.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Grax

Quote:
Question #1 came about from Rokukourobi (god that's probably spelled so wrong) of Munchkin Fu.

IIRC, stating you can only use your base level against him (or was it bonus' only and no base level?).
It applies to the combat - so if you are fighting a monster that only allows your levels, and more monsters are added ~ no mater what bonuses you have (other than 1 shot) they do NOT count.

You fight ALL monster with your level ONLY.
Grax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, penalty