Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #21
Riggler

Default Re: Suggested resources for a fantasy campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarc View Post
I'm having a bit of a second thought - there seems to be a lot of useful templates for a starting point to a generel fantasy campaign and other useful things in Fantasy. Are they as recommendable as the rest of book? If so, it could be Fantasy and Magic I'll end up getting.

So many choices!
Unfortuantely this is one of those situations that can make shopping difficult. Digital publishing and sometimes hard to find books (on the shelf) make it difficult to "flip through" a book and decide what best suits your needs for the budget you have at the time. Although e23 provides some preview pages, to me it's not the same as flipping through a product at a store.

I don't own the Fantasy PDF's, but I probably will one day. (If only they'd combine them all into a hardback one day). If you are completely comfortable worldbuilding a fantasy realm, and are not interested in a single tid-bit of advice on the matter (I wasn't and still am not), you'll still find a significant portion of Fantasy helpful.
Riggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #22
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post

Note to Bill: We need Fantasy 2 with every crunchy detail from income /acre on different types of lands,gross income of cities...whats there to loot(Army sized loots and how much it could be in $).

Actually every crunchy tidbit possible...how to build castle..how much it costs...workforce...

Example: 10000 population port city with breadbasket fields on one side,wineyards on other....how much is "gross" income of city,what are taxes....etc

Edit: Also some "hard" numbers on everything and approximations of variations...
(maybe all of above is few books ;)
Some of what you're asking for with the above mentioned, depends a lot on the specifics of the game world in question. Can mages turn out iron in multi-ton lots daily? Can mages produce worked stone blocks in a matter of seconds? Do castles have to be built in a fashion much as they were in real historical life? There are so many different possibilities, that any one "set" of assumptions may not work for your needs. As Bill also pointed out, what culture are we talking about as well as what time period?

Ironically enough? GURPS already gives you a set of tools you can use to estimate the gross product of a given region. GURPS SPACE gives you tools for determining the Per Capita income (as does GURPS CHARACTERS AND CAMPAIGNS for that matter) as well as gross domestic product. Those guidelines work for not only a sci-fi campaign, but also a fantasy one. All YOU need to do as a GM, is determine what percentage of the population earn "poor" incomes, what percentage earn "struggling" incomes, etc. When all is said and done, the "average" income for the entire society is expected to equal the per capita income overall.

As for the income per acre of land - you can generally find that by looking into either history books for pre industrial societies, or you can look it up for modern societies, or extrapolate the trend into the future with sci-fi socities.

In fact? I seem to recall participating in a thread years ago that did just that - extrapolate the overall values for "demographics" using GURPS 4e rules. Ah well, I have to call it quits here <g>.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #23
kdarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler View Post
Unfortuantely this is one of those situations that can make shopping difficult. Digital publishing and sometimes hard to find books (on the shelf) make it difficult to "flip through" a book and decide what best suits your needs for the budget you have at the time. Although e23 provides some preview pages, to me it's not the same as flipping through a product at a store.

I don't own the Fantasy PDF's, but I probably will one day. (If only they'd combine them all into a hardback one day). If you are completely comfortable worldbuilding a fantasy realm, and are not interested in a single tid-bit of advice on the matter (I wasn't and still am not), you'll still find a significant portion of Fantasy helpful.
Alright, it seems it might end up being Magic and Fantasy then (: Damn you, limited bugdet and damn you, gaming passion, that makes me ignore it!

And yeah, I know exactly what you mean - stalking through rpg products in the store is better than a pdf preview.
kdarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #24
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarc View Post
Alright, it seems it might end up being Magic and Fantasy then (: Damn you, limited bugdet and damn you, gaming passion, that makes me ignore it!
And yeah, I know exactly what you mean - stalking through rpg products in the store is better than a pdf preview.
If I have any problem with GURPS at all, the part I underlined is it; there are so many great suppliments that I would like to have that it's hard to get them all.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, magic