Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #41
younglorax

Default Re: [OOC] Shattered Magic -- GURPS 4e High magic fantasy -- RECRUITING!

So, it looks like all of you are pretty much good to go.

However, I'm waiting on one other player (who I know from outside the forums), so I'll probably start the IC thread on Monday or Tuesday.
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:09 AM   #42
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglorax View Post
@ Wild Bill

Also, a question about your character's story (which has a minor effect on game mechanics):
Is he from the East or the West? You can pretty much choose whether your magic is Ordered or Wild, but it would make the most sense if it matches your origin (Ordered for East, Wild for West).
He is from the East, so his magic is ordered. Sorry for the delay on the bio. It's been a bit of hectic week, and I will have it posted by the end of the weekend :D.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #43
Captain-Captain

Let's see if i have this right:

Father Boadeus, an animal worshipping priest who is reluctantly leaving his adopted home for the sake of his religion. Played by Big Phut

Koban T. Ritual Magician from the east, more to follow - his player swears! Played by Wild Bill

Lucy Redhill young girl who works magic when she dreams. Her dreams guide her now to seek something. Played by hari

Arlen Siler Nature spell wizard, standard magic, emphasis on shapeshifting. Travels because of wanderlust and employment reasons. Played by Old Sam.

Korbinian Poldi Village Hedge wizard, standard spell system, Herb Lorist, spirit "familiar". On the road trying to find a healer for his brain injured daughter. Played by Captain-Captain.

Unkown off Board Player running an as yet undescribed character.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.

Last edited by Captain-Captain; 06-16-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #44
hari

Okay, I redid the numbers both to fit with what you told me earlier Younglorax, and also to fit the concept a little better after having written up the bio.

Lucy is less capable with magic now, which is fitting, it's something that is still pretty new to her. This is both in the form of a lower Will and less points placed in magic skills and rituals. With 55 points in attributes and advantages that make her a magician but only 21 in skills and rituals, her powers are definately still largely untapped.

Her Street Urchin skills fit her a little better. Another level of the Talent makes her better at what she is good at while points are taken out of holdout and fast talk (the best fall back option is always to simply run) and pickpocket (individual ownership may mean nothing to Lucy, but pickpocketing is a little too physically invasive). I was hoping to add area knowledge (Quanton) to the Street Urchin talent and wanted to ask your opinion.

I also added the combat techniques sweep and disarm. And I added the perk combat vaulting (Perks, p. 5). I'm assuming that jump and acrobatics can be applied towards the 20 point requirement to take a combat perk for the purposes of this particular combat perk, after all, combat vaulting adds range to the combat uses of those two skills. But I'm not entirely sure if I should not have both combat vaulting and weapon bond. I wanted to pass that by you to be sure.

My disadvantages are slightly off from what you stated as a general guideline as well. I'm not counting the 10 points from ST 9 towards that total, I lowered it after all. That might not be kosher huh? If not, tell me and I'll juggle points around again. Speaking of which, I hope ST 9, HP 11 is alright. Similar to WildBill, I don't conceive of Lucy's high HP as extra bulk so much as being pretty unusually accustomed to being bruised and scraped. And I also have 51 point of Disadvantages and only 4 or quirks. Lucy now only has illiterate at accented instead of broken, it seems the orphanage did her some good after all. I kind of thought of that 1 point disadvantage as the 5th quirk. I don't think it matters but thought I'd mention it anyways.

Aside from that, I still have to go in and put in relative values for the skills.

Wait. I forgot something. I got rid of less sleep and got deep sleeper. I imagine that she can sleep pretty well through noise (street noises especially). But I don't like the idea of Lucy going to sleep just for the purpose of doing magic. I'm assuming that even though she sleeps 8 hours a day, she can't use magic for all 8 of them, although how many hours she can use them I'm not entirely sure. I'm also assuming that dreams don't begin until she's been asleep for sometime. I would welcome penalties to do magic if Lucy tries to sleep only to do magic. Maybe instead saying that she can only do magic a certain number of hours a day we can say that she gets a -1 penalty to do magic after four hours of sleep used to fulfill the time requirement of a ritual and for every hour over four that she tries to use in the same way. Something like that. It seems to fit better. I got deep sleeper because I didn't want external things to disturb her. But I would be more than happy to have things during dreams disturb Lucy's sleeping and dreaming.

Speaking of which Younglorax, I'm not sure how you want to run Lucy's dreams. Let me propose to you what I have come up with after thinking about it a little bit. Say I tell you what I'm trying to do with my magic and maybe ask questions less for the purpose of getting a straight answer than for the purpose of helping you understand what I see going on in Lucy's funny little head. Then you repond as you see fit. Sound good? That would be by PM of course.

Speaking of PM, I got what you sent me about Quanton. I'm curious as to what the characters who are not based in Quanton know of the city. If and when I have questions about the city in the future, remember that Lucy's perspective of the city is pretty skewed. I'm thinking along the lines of unbelievable horror stories about those who you mentioned don't like the poor. Also, how much time will be spent in the city? I was assuming that, although my character was a predominately urban one, the campaign wouldn't be.

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”

Last edited by hari; 06-12-2009 at 09:32 AM.
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #45
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Let's see if i have this right:
Arem So;er Nature spell wizard, standard magic, emphasis on shapeshifting. Travels because of wanderlust.Played by Old Sam.
Basically correct, but my character name is misspelled... ;-)
It's Arlen Siler.
maybe you could add that travelling is also a 'job' for Arlen, because he works as an (wilderness) guide etc.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #46
younglorax

@ Captain-Captain

Yup, that's right.

The one mystery player should be posting his concept during the course of today (he's GMT-8, I think).

@ hari

The campaign won't spend much time in urban settings, but there will definitely be some. Most people only know that Quanton is a mystical, magical, and thoroughly weird place. It's seen as a paragon of wealth and prosperity, so Lucy's perspective is highly unusual for outsiders. Magic users especially have lofty ideas of what Quanton will be like before they visit (if they ever do).

I'm not sure I understand your proposal for running her dreams.

If you want to add Area Knowledge I'll allow it, so long as you make it bring the Talent up to the 10-pt level. It does make some sense that you'd be able to adapt to new urban settings quicker than the average person, but I'll leave it up to you whether you want to increase the cost (if you do, I'll let you have a couple of extra skills it affects). For comparison:
[5] version: Urban Survival, Panhandling, Scrounging, Streetwise, Observation, Filch (conditional)
[10] version: Urban Survival, Panhandling, Scrounging, Streetwise, Observation, Filch (conditional), Area Knowledge (urban only), Camouflage (urban only), Stealth (urban only; conditional: only to hide, not sneak)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #47
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
maybe you could add that travelling is also a 'job' for Arlen, because he works as an (wilderness) guide etc.
Noted and soon to be fixed above.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #48
BigPhut

So is this guy going to turn up or not?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #49
younglorax

Quote:
So is this guy going to turn up or not?
Apparently not immediately; I was expecting an email from him the day before yesterday, and still haven't heard from him. When he shows up, his character will join the party, but for now we'll start without him.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #50
younglorax

We're going to begin as soon as I get the answers to these questions

The game will begin mid-morning in a small town (about 100 residents, called Farstream) just outside of Quanton's reign, controlled by a Kingdom called Hillen. Everyone's first stop (except Lucy) is Quanton, because if you have questions about magic, that's where you go.

@Everyone -- You can decide whether your characters stayed in Farstream the night before, or are just entering.

@hari -- You have two options: You can start a little later in the game then the others by being in Quanton (where they will be shortly) or you can come up with a reason (any will do) that Lucy left Quanton.

@OldSam -- The town is small, but still there may be a dozen people on the streets at a given time. If Arlen spent the night, then you can decide whether he's camping outside town or (uncomfortably) staying within Farstream proper.

Tags
fantasy, magic, ooc