Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #31
younglorax

Default Re: [OOC] Shattered Magic -- GURPS 4e High magic fantasy -- RECRUITING!

@ Captain-Captain

If you want him to be able to move around, add Invisible and Mute.

If you're okay with him just being in your head, just buy Move down to 0 (), and add Mute (but you still need the Mindlink).

You could throw in some form of astral projection to the second one, if you want.
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #32
Captain-Captain

Ok, let's try this. In keeping with both the general idea that Korbin alone hears him and to reduce costs because of invisibility being added, His Illusions are visual only.

Added a couple of other disads, dropped history a level and it should come out to 141 pts.

Name: Ortavahn
Race: Human Spirit

Attributes [109]
ST 0 (ST includes -10 from 'Reduced ST')
DX 10
IQ 14 [80]
HT 10

HP 10 [20]
Will 10
Per 13 [-5]
FP 10

Basic Lift 0
Damage 1d-6/1d-5

Basic Speed 5
Basic Move 5

Ground Move 5
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 3 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages:

Advantages [192]
Doesn't Breathe [20]
Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]
Doesn't Sleep [20]
Illuminated [15]
Illusion (Visual Only) [18]
Illusion Talent (1) [5]
Invisibility [40]
Insubstantiality (Always On) [40]
Mindlink (1 person) [5]
Unaging (Accessibility (Only in Normal or better mana) (+2)) [12]

Disadvantages [-150]
Cannot Speak: Mute [-25]*
Code of Honor (Gentleman's) [-10]
Discipline of Faith (Asceticism) [-15]
Reduced ST (-10) (Affects displayed ST score) [-100]*
Social Stigma: Monster [-15]*
* Part of the Racial Template

Skills [19]
Connoisseur (Ancient Literature) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Demon Lore) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Spirit Lore) IQ/A - IQ+1 15 [4]
History (Ancient Known World) IQ/H - IQ+0 13 [4]
Literature IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Naturalist (Known World) IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Occultism IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Philosophy (Transmogrification) IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Savoir-Faire (Magical) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Thaumatology IQ/VH - IQ-1 13 [4]

Stats [95] Ads [192] Disads [-165] Quirks [0] Skills [19] = Total [141]

Edit again: You said to drop the Intimidation. I don't have to lower History. Fix made.

Edit: Minor note. On re-reading "Illuminated", Ortavahn CAN communicate with any mortals who have the Illuminated Advantage also any non-mortals who happen to be Illuminated.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.

Last edited by Captain-Captain; 06-09-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #33
younglorax

That mostly looks good. To confirm, I am fine with the massive numbers of disad points, since it makes sense for him.

Question:
-Is it redundant for an entity that doesn't eat, drink, or sleep to be an ascetic?

Problems:
-Demon Lore is inappropriate in this setting.
-As is, it looks Ortavahn at over 80% Korbin's point total.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #34
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglorax View Post
@Wild Bill

Overall, it looks like almost everything is in order.

There are a couple issues with Attributes:
(1) Why is your HP significantly higher than your ST? It's technically a little too much higher according to RAW (B16), but if you're wanting to be built pretty stocky (or are just be tall but not skinny), then I'm OK with it. If you're small and scrawny, then it's a little odd.
Wel... but, 9+30% = 12 (2.7 rounded up = 3; they list ST 10 to HP 7 - 13) and for someone who has been training in Martial Arts, it seems fair to say that he has hardened his body against injury. It doesn't just have to be my size or build, rather HP "represent your body's ability to resist injury". But I can drop some points if you'd prefer. Just let me know what the cap is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglorax
(2) Your FP is more than 30% above your HT, which is not OK by RAW (B16). I'd be fine with it if you take Usable Only For Spellcasing -10% (M15) for your FP that exceeds 13. (If you're wanting it for other things, buy up HT or buy (Very) Fit.)
I meant to add that limitation. I will fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglorax
(3) I'm still wondering what's up with Striking ST. Yes, I mentioned that, but I'm putting it here again in case you skip the earlier post : ).
I just went through MA, and it is listed under Desireable Advantages, becuase it should be considered Cinematic (Chi related). I'll lose it and just put the points in ST :D.

Bio still coming.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #35
Captain-Captain

Quote:
That mostly looks good. To confirm, I am fine with the massive numbers of disad points, since it makes sense for him.

Question:
-Is it redundant for an entity that doesn't eat, drink, or sleep to be an ascetic?

Problems:
-Demon Lore is inappropriate in this setting.
-As is, it looks Ortavahn at over 80% Korbin's point total.
Apparently I read 131.25 as 141.25 as the 3/4th value of 175. oops. Have to lose 10 points. Demon Lore goes bye for some of that.

"It might even involve sporadic bouts of severe self punishment to excise the mortal taint of desire." B.132 So he's a bit or more than a bit masochistic and still meets the qualifications for the disadvantage.

Name: Ortavahn
Race: Human Spirit

Attributes [109]
ST 0 (ST includes -10 from 'Reduced ST')
DX 10
IQ 14 [80]
HT 10

HP 10 [20]
Will 10
Per 13 [-5]
FP 10

Basic Lift 0
Damage 1d-6/1d-5

Basic Speed 5
Basic Move 5

Ground Move 5
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 3 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages:

Advantages [192]
Doesn't Breathe [20]
Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]
Doesn't Sleep [20]
Illuminated [15]
Illusion (Visual Only) [18]
Invisibility [40]
Insubstantiality (Always On) [40]
Mindlink (1 person) [5]
Unaging (Accessibility (Only in Normal or better mana) (+2)) [12]

Disadvantages [-150]
Cannot Speak: Mute [-25]*
Code of Honor (Gentleman's) [-10]
Discipline of Faith (Asceticism) [-15]
Reduced ST (-10) (Affects displayed ST score) [-100]*
Social Stigma: Monster [-15]*
* Part of the Racial Template

Quirk [-2]
Glutton for Punishment [-1]
Distrustful of Church types [-1]

Skills [19]
Connoisseur (Ancient Literature) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Demon Lore) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Spirit Lore) IQ/A - IQ+1 15 [4]
History (Ancient Known World) IQ/H - IQ+0 13 [4]
Literature IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Naturalist (Known World) IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Occultism IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Savoir-Faire (Magical) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Thaumatology IQ/VH - IQ-2 12 [2]

Stats [95] Ads [187] Disads [-165] Quirks [-2] Skills [16] = Total [131]
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

Old 06-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #36
younglorax

@ Wild Bill
The HP as you have it is fine, I just wanted a reason for it. The fact that your body can now take a disproportionate number of hits due to years of practice is reasonable enough to me -- and like you mentioned, it's only 0.3 too high anyway.

(Also, now that you're going to increase ST, it's more or less irelevant.)

Also, a question about your character's story (which has a minor effect on game mechanics):
Is he from the East or the West? You can pretty much choose whether your magic is Ordered or Wild, but it would make the most sense if it matches your origin (Ordered for East, Wild for West).

@ hari
Same question for you: Is your character from the East or the West, and is his magic Ordered or Wild? Thematically, it might make the most sense if it were Wild -- regardless of where he's from -- because the use of willpower (rather than a knowledge of particular arcane words) is indicative of Wild magic.

@ Captain-Captain
That looks good to me. I understand the ascetism now, thanks.

I was sort of assuming that Korbin can see and hear Ortavahn as if he were visible and could speak. How he appears and sounds to Korbin is entirely up to you. Is that more or less what you were thinking?

Back to my questions about controlling them:
- Do you want to control Alycia most of the time? I'm fine with it either way.
- How do you feel about me controlling Ortavahn?

I also have some story questions:
- How well does Korbin know him?
- Where is he when his Frequency of Appearance roll fails?
- Do you have the details in mind of what it was Ortavahn did to anger that long-dead wizard?

Last edited by younglorax; 06-10-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 AM   #37
Captain-Captain

Quote:

Back to my questions about controlling them:
- Do you want to control Alycia most of the time? I'm fine with it either way.
- How do you feel about me controlling Ortavahn?

I also have some story questions:
- How well does Korbin know him?
- Where is he when his Frequency of Appearance roll fails?
- Do you have the details in mind of what it was Ortavahn did to anger that long-dead wizard?
Alycia has the intellect of a smart golden retriever at this point. She has perhaps a vocabulary of 100 words, and the ability to speak, which puts her one up on the Golden Retriever. She's not incontinent at any rate and reasonably obedient, allowing for a natural short attention span. She's basically in the game to be occasionally endangered, more than a bit of a hindrance and delay, and the McGuffin that brings Korbin into play.

Ortavahn is probably best played by the GM. There is a piece of Korbin's soul in him and vice versa so both characters do have the best interest of the other at heart.

He did nothing to offend the wizard, the wizard summoned him to get information and had the misfortune of keeling over from a stroke while Ortavahn was sealed in a pentagram or ward of some sort. The ward actually kept fresh ectoplasm out (critical success?) and he was literally existing on his own waste products for centuries. Ultimately terminal to a spirit and a pretty ugly way to 'die'.

He literally returns to whatever afterlife he was in before being summoned by that wizard when 'off'. Sometimes he has things he has to do there or otherwise can't get out for some reason. (Just as summon Spirit won't let anyone learn about the afterlife, Ortavahn isn't allowed to say anything about it to mortals.)

They know each other reasonably well due to the soul bits switching, and a dozen plus years of being linked. That Korbin had the courage to let this trapped spirit go through him tends to be something of a plus for Ortavahn.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #38
hari

Yeah... that post thing was annoying. My internet is also messing up, I'm stuck using the internet at an internet cafe tonight but couldn't be bothered last night. Luckily internet cafes are super cheap in Korea. I hope it doesn't continue on like this for long, it shouldn't.

To answer the question about the type of magic, yeah, sorry for not having thought to say something about that earlier. Definately wild magic, I never considered anything else. As for a place of origin, I'm sure the past is much less of a concern for my character as it is for others. But yeah, a general place of origin is needed. Although Quanton would probably be the obvious choice, this kid's originally a country kid. Having grown up for the first 5 years or so of life with an elderly couple, and the next 5 years or so in an oppressive orphanage, this kid later ran away from the orphanage and made it as far as Quanton. I should really add a theology to my skills to reflect the orphanage background and flesh it out a bit more. I'm thinking of it being an out of the way rural area. Maybe somewhere to the north or south of the Eastern half of Verold, and somewhat near the mountains. A river would be great too, as I picked river survival and thought to explain it as a skill gained while traveling from that place of origin to Quanton. I thought that the journey was made in the company of some ranger or hunter or something who I have since lost touch with (I don't want to spend points on an ally but also can't think of another way to sensibly travel to Quanton). It might work well to have the person I came to Quanton with not be an out of play NPC who I will never see again but one of the other PCs. If anyone likes the idea, I'm all up for it.

What follows next is an attempt at reproducing what I wrote and lost before. It didn't go into detail about the past, so I included that here while answering those two questions.

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #39
hari

Lucy "Lucian" (of) Redhill... or maybe Littlehill.

It's not that she doesn't like her name, even if she does not like it when people use it. It's that Lucy instead prefers to go by the name of Lucian because life as a fourteen year old orphaned street urchin is precarious enough as it is without having the additional difficulty of being a member of the fairer sex. So she simply pretends to be a boy. It's not necessarily a secret, but Lucy does expect to be generally regarded as a boy, especially in public and around those who make her uncomfortable. However, the fact that Lucy is short for Luciola is definately a secret, it's just too girly. As for the confusion about the names Redhill and Littlehill, well, if you asked her she would probably tell you that these are the names of the orphanage she lived in, or the town it was in, or the town her grandparents lived in or continue to live in. And although these explanations are not entirely truthful, it is true that she lived for sometime in an orphanage, and lived for sometime before that with an elderly couple she thought of as her grandparents. As misleading as these explanations may be, they do carry in them the kernal of truth in that Redhill and Littlehill are the names she has given to the place that she considers her true home. Lucy considers her true home to be the playground she has discovered and claimed as her own, a small and secret land found only in her dreams. It is a place where she is free from the danger and hardship that plague her during her waking hours, free from worries of hunger, or of the town gaurd, free from the need to find shelter for the night.

As difficult as Lucy's life is, she manages her way through it with a remarkable light heartedness. Although material comforts are few for one as destitute as she is, Lucy's life is made much easier by her skill in begging for spare change, filching bread and the fruit she so loves from preoccupied merchants, rummaging around for valuables discarded in the city and finding nice safe little hidden spots to lay her head at night. Perhaps Lucy's skill in taking what is not her's is the result of her difficulty with the concept of private property. It's not that she has trouble with the thought that anything she sees should be hers, it's more that she has difficulty conceiving of anything she lays her hands on as really being hers. There are only a few objects that Lucy keeps for any real length of time. Her charity ensures that she is quickly welcomed among people as impoverished as herself and especially at ease among her fellow orphans. When she is not enjoying the company of other orphans, marveling in a newly found lost treasure or happily munching on juicy stolen fruit, Lucy loves to run. She loves to run, and to jump, and to find the best views in the city by climbing as high up it's buildings as possible, anything that makes her feel free. She can often be seen simply running through town, often with the trusty staff that she sometimes is forced to use to pole vault over those she has angered, or to relieve them of their weapons or the stability of their feet.

However, there is no longer any question that the end has already come for the carefree and cheerful life that Lucy has led until now. The disturbing dreams that Lucy has recently begun to have are proof enough for Lucy. But one cannot forget about the recent failures of Veikko, a healer renowned among the poor of Quanton. And Lucy in particular cannot forget that his attempt to heal her left her instead with a wound that will not close. To add to that, Lucy has the nagging doubt that Veikko's failure to heal her is somehow the result of her own disconcerting dreams. But worst of all is Lucy's recent inability to keep her dreams contained within the sleeping world.

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #40
younglorax

@ Captain-Captain

Cool, that all looks good.

I think that instead of just not allowed to speak about the afterlife, Ortavahn actually can't; it is almost as if he doesn't know what it is like when he isn't there.

@ hari

That backstory is great. You should ask OldSam if his character could have taken Lucy to Quanton -- his character being a wilderness guide and all. (All the details of that are up to you guys, of course). If you want to take a point or two in Area Knowledge (Quanton), feel free. You character should start with Cultural Familiarity (Quanton), and you can take Cultural Familiarity (East Verold) if you want (it's up to you how bizarre and different life in the orphanage was from life outside it).

If you want some background information on Quanton (since your character should start with it) let me know. Actually, I'll PM you something.

Tags
fantasy, magic, ooc