Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-19-2019, 01:07 AM   #31
schoon

Default Re: Roleplaying experiences without a GM in Car Wars?

Wow! This thread is a treasure trove.

Thanks to all!
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #32
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
Wow! This thread is a treasure trove.
Perhaps a sticky version would be useful here?

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #33
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
Holy cow!!!!

@43Supporter, Blue Ghost, philreed, swordtart, Tom H. and owenmp- You guys are awesome!!!

First off, you guys inspired me to invest 47 buckaroos into some Car Wars PDFs at Warehouse 23! :D
It's great to see your enthusiasm.

Just in case you missed this thread from September 2018, it may be relevant to a lot of topics you brought up.
CW as a roleplaying game

~~~

Another great Car Wars experience that was not on your list of purchases was autoduelling through the streets of the town Midville.

Your timing is great because you will be able to get the printed, fold-out maps when they bring back Crash City via the Kickstarter on Jan. 30 (see https://pocketbox.games/products/car-wars/).

Midville provides detailed city terrain for your vehicle to interact with. I recall cutting across lawns to avoid the hazards of tight turns and then hoping my bend was the right angle to thread my car between the upcoming corner of a building and a light post.

Midville also provided the initial stage for using all those extra pedestrian weapons and building damage rules that you may have come across in your Car Wars Classic rules. With enough breaches, buildings can actually collapse and spread debris modifying the environment you're duelling in.

Crash City also provided a lot of quasi-roleplaying setting. Buildings had descriptions and purposes. There was background for conflicts between resident pedestrians and autoduellists, raiding cycle gangs, and the iconic MONDOs (the neighborhood defense organization).

What is the extent of Midville?

As far as I know:

1. From the early 1980s, Crash City (originally sold as Sunday Drivers) provided the initial two maps (each 21" x 32") with the streets, parks, and businesses of Midville.

2. Expansion Set 3: East Midville provided two more (21" x 32") adjoining maps. You can get a total urban spread greater than 5 feet by 3 feet. Moving in fractions of a second, it's almost too big for a day's worth of gaming.

3. It appears that all this was collected and updated in the late 1980s for the product Midville.

~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
I'm planning on playing Convoy tonight . . .
That's great fun when playing with friends. Let us know sometime how your experience went.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #34
owenmp

Tom H.,

Very good suggestion on the use of Midville. Sunday Drivers and Crash City had several sections not printed elsewhere discussing pedestrian tactics and improvised weapons. The article "Anti-Cyclist Tactics" Breaking the Bikers in Car Wars" by Aaron Allston, printed in ADQ Vol. 1, No. 4 and The Best of ADQ Volume 1, is also useful for Midville scenarios.

A total of six maps have been published for Midville, Ohio: Two of Core or West Midville, two of East Midville, and two of North Midville.

The two core maps of Midville were published in Sunday Drivers, Crash City, and Car Wars Deluxe Edition.

The two maps of East Midville were published in Car Wars Expansion #3: East Midville and in the Midville Car Wars Adventure Pack. A counter sheet was included in Car Wars Expansion #3: East Midville that was only reprinted in Car Wars Expansion #10: Deluxe Wheelie.

The two maps of North Midville were only published in the Midville Car Wars Adventure Pack.

The Truck Stop maps can also be added to Midville. The last page of the instruction book in Sunday Drivers and Crash City has an expanded map, at reduced scale, showing where the Truck Stop maps are placed in relation to the town.

Based on the information I wrote above, the Midville Car Wars Adventure Pack contains the two East Midville maps and the two North Midville maps. You need Sunday Drivers, Crash City, or Car Wars Deluxe Edition to acquire the two West/Core Midville maps.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat

Last edited by owenmp; 01-30-2019 at 12:18 PM.
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #35
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
A total of six maps have been published for Midville, Ohio
Excellent, timely update. I knew I could be missing something.

So to summarize:
What is the extent of Midville?
It looks as if there are 4 interlocking products:
1. Midville proper.
2. East Midville.
3. North Midville.
4. Truck Stop.

Does anyone want to provide anecdotes on how much map they were actually able to reasonably play on in the past?

Last edited by Tom H.; 01-23-2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Fun
Old 01-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #36
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Does anyone want to provide anecdotes on how much map they were actually able to reasonably play on in the past?
Back-when, we ran "the Midville Grand Prix", a street course using *all six* Midville maps.

It took a while to complete a lap.... :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #37
Blue Ghost

Wow, I did not know there were six maps for Midville. I thought there were the original two maps from Sunday Drivers, then two expansion maps, and that was it. Where did the other two maps come from?
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #38
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Wow, I did not know there were six maps for Midville. I thought there were the original two maps from Sunday Drivers, then two expansion maps, and that was it. Where did the other two maps come from?
I know, right? It's hard to stay an expert, but it appears Michael Owen has. Check out his post a few above for the answers.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 PM   #39
owenmp

Tom H.: Thanks for the compliment. Here is a summary of my post for Blue Ghost and other combat drivers.

The Space Gamer Vol. 1, No. 50: Sunday Drivers - 2 maps of West Midville presented in reduced scale, requiring two Car Wars Blank Map Sheets to use with 1X Car Wars scale playing materials.

Pocket Box Sunday Drivers/Crash City - 2 maps of West Midville

Car Wars Deluxe Edition Box Set - 2 maps of West Midville

Car Wars Expansion #3: East Midville - 2 maps of East Midville

Midville Car Wars Adventure Pack - total of 4 maps: 2 maps of East Midville and 2 maps of North Midville

The two maps of North Midville were only published as ready-to-play maps in the Midville Car Wars Adventure Pack.

Pocket Box Sunday Drivers/Crash City has a reduced scale map of the entire town of Midville on the last page of the rulebook.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:10 AM   #40
owenmp

Car Wars City Blocks 1 and Car Wars City Blocks 2 are alternatives to Midville maps, permitting a modular urban area. If you have a lot of room, combine Midville maps with City Blocks 1 and City Blocks 2 sections.