Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
gmjasongurps

Default [DF] Magic Bolt and magic defenses

How does Magic Bolt (DF11 p37) interact with magical defenses such as Missile Shield, Deflect Missile and such. Normally these spells will deflect or reflect any missile attack coming at the target. Any exceptions are listed in spell descriptions such as Sun Bolt is NOT affected by Missile Shield or Reverse Missiles (though Deflect and Return Missile spells seem to not be included here.)
The description of Magic Bolt says the only defense is dodging or being immune to magic. Does this imply that none of the above missile defense spells work against a Magic Bolt?
I realize that the final call for my campaign is mine, I was just wondering what others thought, or maybe what Kromm was thinking when he wrote it.
Thanks!
Old 11-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [DF] Magic Bolt and magic defenses

Two things:

1 - It outright states there are only two defenses, Dodging and being Immune to Magic. This isn't a physical missile (which missile spells kind of are) this is pure, raw mana being tossed around.

2 - It's built with Cosmic Irresistible Attack 300%, so normally that's "No Defenses At All". The two defenses are spelled out in the description are the only exception to this.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
weby

Default Re: [DF] Magic Bolt and magic defenses

As evileeyore says in DF context only those two things help.

In wider Gurps context it is possible to buy Cosmic DR that helps.