Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
kosbour

Default Automatic monsters

The rules state that When all the rooms have been explored, I may draw a Monster card (if I want to) if I enter a room with no monsters during my turn.

Does this apply even if I enter a room after running away from combat?
And is it mandatory to draw a Monster card (assuming this is my choice) as soon as I enter room or I can buy a level or two, arrange as good as I can my items in play and then fight the monster?
kosbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Automatic monsters

You can only choose to draw the monster when you enter the room. It has been officially ruled in the past that you can do this immediately after Running Away (provided you survive) as that is entering a room during your turn.

You cannot wait and do other things before drawing the monster. You have to make the choice immediately.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Do you have a link to that ruling? I'm pretty sure the intent of the rule was to take the place of exploring a room, which would mean you can't draw a monster when you Run Away into an empty room, just when you make a move that you could use to explore if you had room tiles left. (Recall that you cannot explore by Running Away.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Clipper

Here's one of the threads. I think I remember it being ruled in a few other threads too.

Personally, I dislike the rule and house rule against it by saying the Automatic Monster ability only counts if you use a Move action to perform it, thus excluding all other effects that allow you to enter a room. That way makes the end-game a lot better as you need to normally make at least three moves (i.e., one to face an Automatic monster to get back to Level 10, one to get back to a room adjacent to the Entrance (if there are no Portals) and a third to enter the Entrance) before you would be able to fight a Boss again, rather than being able to fight them with every single Move, fighting an Automatic Monster immediately upon Running Away each time, then moving straight back into the Entrance.

Thus, if you are considering reversing the previous rulings, I certainly wouldn't argue...

Last edited by Clipper; 11-20-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

The rules do say, "[I]f you enter a room with no monsters during your turn..." I will admit I was probably taking a liberal view of what "entering a room" entailed, and I don't think I missed the notion that it was after Running Away from the Boss Monster. I'm still unsure of how I feel about it, given the wording.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote