Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-14-2018, 07:18 AM   #1
chg

Default Games compatibility

Hi! I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'm hoping I can get an official answer.

As my birthday is crawling upon me, I've decided to get myself a core Munchkin and a few expansions. The question is, can I get the core "regular" munchkin and add an expansion from e.g. the star one? Or can I even join two core games to play together?
I've played the game before belonging to two different friends and they had just the expansions belonging to the same "series" as they seem to think, like me, that they cannot be mixed. I don't know if it's an issue with the translation to Spanish, if we just deduced so 'cause we can or if they really are not compatible with each other. I searched the FAQs and forums but couldn't see this specifically stated more than "expansions need the core game to be played", so it would be nice to be sure before ordering like crazy ^^'

PS. I've also seen the Demented Dungeons and Terrible Tombs packs, which I understand add new rules to the game? Are those also (not) compatible with any core game/expansion?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob stuff!
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Games compatibility

You can mix any base sets you want to. Some blend more seamlessly than others, but all can be mixed. Mixing an expansion from one with the base set from another is more problematic. It can work OK sometimes, but a lot of times it causes issues when the expansion cards reference things from the base set they are associated with, making them much less useful if you aren't using that base set.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I agree with Mister Ed - you really don't want to mix one core game with an expansion for a different game. There are exceptions: for example, Munchkin, Munchkin Legends, Munchkin Magical Mess, Munchkin Shakespeare, and Moop's Monster Mashup are all intercompatible, and mixing a Legends expansion into your base Munchkin game is no problem at all. But I wouldn't add a Cthulhu expansion into that mix by itself.

The Dungeon sets add new rules and generally work better for sets with matching designs: Demented Dungeons and Terrible Tombs work best with fantasy-themed sets such as Munchkin or Munchkin Legends. On the other hand, Munchkin Side Quests also adds new rules and it's intentionally designed to work with any Munchkin set -- at worst, you'll have to leave out a couple of cards here and there.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
chg

That was fast, thank you!

It's a bit sad that they can't be combined, it would be great to mix up things and personalise games in my opinion but I can imagine it being a pain to develop. I'm quite set on getting the regular core game, but there's a couple expansions from other sets I would love to add (or even some other core games). I think I'll take Mister Ed's advise and try with expansions other people have and if they work good enough with my game then I can get them later :)
I'll check on those sets too Andrew, thanks for pointing them out
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
Nobunga

It is perfectly acceptable and rather fun to mix two core sets together, a time-honored Munchkin Tradition called a Mash-up or Blender Game.

If you become a fan of these, be sure to get Munchkin 7: Cheat with Both Hands which was designed to facilitate Blender games.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chg View Post
That was fast, thank you!

It's a bit sad that they can't be combined, it would be great to mix up things and personalise games in my opinion but I can imagine it being a pain to develop. I'm quite set on getting the regular core game, but there's a couple expansions from other sets I would love to add (or even some other core games). I think I'll take Mister Ed's advise and try with expansions other people have and if they work good enough with my game then I can get them later :)
I'll check on those sets too Andrew, thanks for pointing them out
Just to be clear, different base sets absolutely can be combined. My only hesitation was in adding an expansion for one version to the base set for another WITHOUT also adding that other base set. So mixing regular Munchkin and Star Munchkin is fine, but mixing Star Munchkin 2 with regular Munchkin (without also adding base Star Munchkin) is where the potential for issues arise.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
HappyWackers

I would like to call myself a Munchkin collector, and I believe all non TCG Munchkin products can function in a regular game of Munchkin smoothly. In my opinion it matters how many people you have in your playgroup. I have an efficient house rules list that takes only minutes to learn. My playgroup usually plays to level 20, and there are around 6-13 people. Games take between 40mins- 1.5 hours depending on player experience level. We once played a game to level 20 in 33mins!

Munchkin is not really a 2 player game, and should be played with 3-6 people. I have over 70+ products of Munchkin, and it can accommodate way more players. With house rules to balance the game it becomes super fun. The size of my collection was influenced by more and more friends wanting to join in. Also, every single Munchkin product I have is in the Munchkin games we play. None of the products include TCG cards. They are all from core sets, deluxe sets, expansions, gift packs, GA editions, mini expansion packs, and some promo items.

Sadly, I am still missing only a few Munchkin products. One day I will have them all. =(

Take a look at what my setup looks like below. Yes I wish I had sleeves, but they are a lot of money lol.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mDD6i64dN6mGUmaW7

Last edited by HappyWackers; 11-15-2018 at 04:38 PM.
HappyWackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
serleran

There are some "core sets" that simply will not mix.

Munchkin Gloom, for example. It is a shame as there is potential for some interesting combinations.
serleran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

chg, you're getting a firehose of feedback here and it's a lot to take in. You don't have to absorb all of it right now. The biggest thing you should know is that starting with a single game is fine. Adding one expansion to that single game is fine. Adding a second game to the first game, with or without the expansion, is fine. You don't have to jump into the deep end if you don't want to, and if you try something that doesn't work, separate the sets back out and retreat to familiar territory.

And I'll repeat something that I tell gamers sometimes because it blows their minds: if you aren't having fun playing a game, STOP and reassess. Maybe you tried to do too much at once. Maybe it's just not the right game for your group. There's no rule that says "You must finish a game that isn't working for you." There IS a rule, or should be, that says "Playing games is meant to be fun. If you aren't having fun, try something else."

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
HappyWackers

I do not believe Serleran is right about Gloom even being a core set. It is the game Gloom with a Munchkin theme and is not listed underneath the core set section. That is why the cards look super different, and have different mechanics. It is a standalone game just like smash up munchkin. Smash up munchkin also has different looking cards with different mechanics. Loot letter is a two player munchkin standalone game, but loot letter looks very similar to munchkin cards.

I use Munchkin loot letter the stand alone game in my mix since it works absolutely fine. - I had to make up only a couple house rules for the loot letter cards.

Andrew is right though. Start small and if you enjoy it then go and explore with more incrementally. Just always have fun.

Expansions I'd recommend for newcomers are zombies, bites, and pathfinder. =)
HappyWackers is offline   Reply With Quote