Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #11
malloyd

Default Re: [Sorcery] Permanent advantages on self only not using Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
To be clear, character points will still be needed to gain the advantage. I'm just looking for advice on how to handle the mechanics.

I'm aware the Sorcerer would be left with a spell they'd never cast again. So they would need to take that into consideration.
It really does seem like the simplest approach would just be count whatever hours or character points were spent researching/casting the spell toward the cost of the final advantage. So if you spent 1000 hours learning to do this and performing the ritual, you earned 5 points toward paying for the advantage per the usual time use rules. I'd hesitate on using some really complex rule, because introducing a long time requirement and risk of failure introduces a real risk you could end up wasting more time on the ritual that it would cost you to learn the trait naturally - without involving a spell.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
Ninja Monkey

Thanks all for your responses. This is such a great community of support. Thank you.
Ninja Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #13
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Another way is improvising spells. Specifically Hardcore Improvisation (Sorcery p.7)
That reminds me of a rule I use with Sorcery (or my variants more accurately); When you cast a spell, you can right then decide to learn it if you have the points to (as a sort of 'I get it!' moment). You still need to make the roll and spend the FP and still need the points, of course, so for my campaigns just casting a (for instance) ST+ spell on yourself would let you buy it permanently as a spell, either alt or full. And in this situation, doing the same thing but as an affliction the PC could allow the target to buy it permanently.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardcore improvisation, sorcery