Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Ghost_Nappa

Default Adding Monsters to Combat Against Yourself

The specific situation was with Munchkin Apocalpyse. A Player was in combat with 6 seals open. We were trying to get him killed since he had the most amount of items and an Undead Monster was added to the combat.

I feel like this is an obvious question in retrospect but I wanted to confirm it anyway.

He had a Undead blob snot monster (I did not catch the name of the monster or manage to read the card, several players were anxious to leave as they had other places to be) that opens a seal. Is he allowed to play that monster against himself to open the seventh seal while he is already in combat?
Ghost_Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Blazinjsin

Default Re: Adding Monsters to Combat Against Yourself

Absolutely, assuming he has an undead monster to add or a wondering monster. It's actually a pretty good strategy if it will get you the win like that. The rules for undead and sharks say that when one comes into the fight, any player may add more of the same type. This includes the active player. The same goes for Wondering Monster cards.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Ghost_Nappa

That answers half of my question. I can't find a picture of the individual monster or it's effect. I don't know if his effect is supposed to activate before combat - in which case he cheated because of this:

Q. One of my opponents adding a Wandering Monster that has a "before combat" effect (e.g., the Tongue Demon makes you discard an Item before combat). Since I'm already in combat, do I still have to do it?
A. No. You lucked out this time. (We reeeeeeally wanted to say yes, because we're munchkins, too, but that leads to timing issues.)

I've been trying to find a picture of the monster (Toxic Mold? Abomination?) but I can't find anything helpful.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Blazinjsin

There are only 2 monsters I saw that open a seal before combat, Destroying Angel and Great Cthulhu. The angel only opens one before combat if there isn't one already open, so I'll assume the monster in question is The Great Cthulhu. Since he says to open a seal before combat, the seal opening would not trigger if he was added to the combat, based on the ruling you just quoted.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Gardensnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Nappa View Post
I've been trying to find a picture of the monster (Toxic Mold? Abomination?) but I can't find anything helpful.
FYI, I'm not a mod or even affiliated with SJ Games but I can let you know that posting a pic of a card is bad. I would not recommend it.

William
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Ghost_Nappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazinjsin View Post
There are only 2 monsters I saw that open a seal before combat, Destroying Angel and Great Cthulhu. The angel only opens one before combat if there isn't one already open, so I'll assume the monster in question is The Great Cthulhu. Since he says to open a seal before combat, the seal opening would not trigger if he was added to the combat, based on the ruling you just quoted.
It is was neither of those. It was some kind of Snot Monster. The closest comparison I can think of is this: http://users2.ml.mindenkilapja.hu/us...Sloppy_Moe.jpg
My roommate thinks it was "The Abomination" because he gave it to this player by Charity. But again, I can't find anything on the card and I don't own the set myself to look at it.
Again, I'm CERTAIN, the monster was Undead. The Great Cthulu is not Undead, I doubt the Destroying Angel is. Is there somewhere I could read the effects and powers of individual monsters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardensnake View Post
FYI, I'm not a mod or even affiliated with SJ Games but I can let you know that posting a pic of a card is bad. I would not recommend it.

William
I am not suggesting posting pictures of cards, nor do I plan to do so. I am trying to find an image of the card that already exists to identify it. If there was somewhere where I could read the individual descriptions of cards sans the art that would be fine as well.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Clipper

I'm not sure about the art as I don't have my cards with me, but I do have my personal database of card text and can confirm that Abomination is an Undead monster that makes you choose whether or not to open a Seal before combat. This is probably the right monster.

Thus, as it is a before combat effect, this is not a valid strategy for the win. He would need to Look for Trouble with the monster to win that way, which would mean he'd need to wait at least until his next turn (as he is already in a fight this turn).
Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
If there was somewhere where I could read the individual descriptions of cards sans the art that would be fine as well.
That's not going to happen, either. If you don't have the card, you'll just have to rely on one of us moderators to figure it out on our own time and get back to you. As it stands, I don't have access to my computer with the production database on it, so I can't comment, currently, on the specific wording of the card.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Ghost_Nappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I'm not sure about the art as I don't have my cards with me, but I do have my personal database of card text and can confirm that Abomination is an Undead monster that makes you choose whether or not to open a Seal before combat. This is probably the right monster.

Thus, as it is a before combat effect, this is not a valid strategy for the win. He would need to Look for Trouble with the monster to win that way, which would mean he'd need to wait at least until his next turn (as he is already in a fight this turn).
I feel pretty confident then. Any advice for playing against someone who cheated in a previous game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
That's not going to happen, either.
I was just reading that thread! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
If you don't have the card, you'll just have to rely on one of us moderators to figure it out on our own time and get back to you. As it stands, I don't have access to my computer with the production database on it, so I can't comment, currently, on the specific wording of the card.
I'm more than willing to wait! This is probably the fastest semi-official to official (Clipper and yourself respectively) helpful support I've EVER received. I'm more than willing to wait for a definite yay or nay given the circumstances.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
I'm more than willing to wait! This is probably the fastest semi-official to official (Clipper and yourself respectively) helpful support I've EVER received. I'm more than willing to wait for a definite yay or nay given the circumstances.
I need to make something extremely clear, since there seems to be some confusion: Clipper is not semi-official, so please recognize that being a frequent poster does not elevate one's status on these forums in some recognizable way. Clipper is an avid fan with a knack for searching the forums and finding official postings. If he's not citing a source, assume that he's posting his opinion, and that's nowhere near official.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote