Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-31-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
hal

Default Telegraphed Blow variant

Hi All,
Has anyone ever played with Telegraphed blow in such a way that the telegraphing is a variable value instead of set at +4 attack with the defender of said attack getting a +2 defense?

Wouldn't it be useful to have a telegraphed blow that grants a +2 bonus to hit, and the defender only gains a +1 bonus to defense?

Just a thought.

Hal

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:10 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Telegraphed Blow variant

Yeah, I have no issues with a "half-telegraphed" attack, at +2 to hit for +1 to defend. Honestly, I think of the default attack at full skill to be partially-telegraphed; a -2/-1 Deceptive Attack can simply be described as an attack that isn't telegraphed, and it's not until you get to -4/-2 that you need to be particularly fast and/or deceptive (although a -2/-1 attack could be a partially-telegraphed-but-fast attack, or one that is purposefully telegraphed wrong, etc).

So, yeah - as long as you don't exceed +4 to hit, you should be able to adjust your skill up or down more-or-less freely, with the target taking half the modifier to their defense.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:28 PM   #3
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yeah, I have no issues with a "half-telegraphed" attack, at +2 to hit for +1 to defend. Honestly, I think of the default attack at full skill to be partially-telegraphed; a -2/-1 Deceptive Attack can simply be described as an attack that isn't telegraphed, and it's not until you get to -4/-2 that you need to be particularly fast and/or deceptive (although a -2/-1 attack could be a partially-telegraphed-but-fast attack, or one that is purposefully telegraphed wrong, etc).

So, yeah - as long as you don't exceed +4 to hit, you should be able to adjust your skill up or down more-or-less freely, with the target taking half the modifier to their defense.
So - to put this more succinctly...

Attacks should be modifiable by plus and minus values, modifying their target's defense rolls by 1/2 the value they took for their attack. Lowest you can modify your skill is no lower than 12, and the highest you can modify your skill is +4.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:18 PM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
So - to put this more succinctly...

Attacks should be modifiable by plus and minus values, modifying their target's defense rolls by 1/2 the value they took for their attack. Lowest you can modify your skill is no lower than 12, and the highest you can modify your skill is +4.
I'd be alright with that, yeah. I think the RAW allows you to go as low as 10 with Deceptive Attack, but boosting this minimum to 12 wouldn't be an overreach (in fact, IIRC, mathematically speaking adjusting your skill to 12 or 13 gives you the best overall chance of landing an attack; dropping it lower is a bit of a trap, while having it higher gives a better chance of add-on effects, like forcing the target to "waste" a defense or getting one of the special effects associated with a Critical Hit, in exchange for having a bit lower overall chance of getting past the target's defense).
Old 01-31-2023, 07:58 PM   #5
hal

Part of the reason why I'm considering making it something around 12 is due to the fact that a raw neophyte in fencing just doesn't have the capabilities to pull off a convincing feint, let alone develop the speed for a deceptive attack.

What has me thinking about all of this is a random NPC generator that will eventually (Possibly!) become the basis of an NPC combat emulator. Options such as a targeted attack as done by an NPC emulator means in theory, that the GM's bias about never going for an aimed attack won't interfere with the combat they may be running. If an NPC is a timid fighter, you won't expect them to use much of anything save perhaps defensive attacks, while an aggressive fighter may use a more offensive approach. Varying the target area such as an attack to the leg, then an attack to the head might well do the trick as far as bringing a fight to a close. How often the NPC will have "Combination" attacks would also be something I should try and factor in somehow. Maybe one combination attack per skill level above 12 or something like that.

Just musing.