Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-01-2022, 06:48 PM   #151
Shostak

Default Re: Show me the magic!

Nice. How about combining Fireball with Fire, 3-hex Fire, and 7-fex Fire?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #152
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Unable to determine if you were speaking in jest or not so here is a first attempt.
IQ 13
Flame Strike (M) Cost to cast is 1 ST plus 1 to 3 for the damage of the missile spell when it strikes. Shoots a fireball at one hex. The roll to hit uses missile spell DX adjustments. On the turn it is fired, the hex targeted ignites as if hit by the appropriate level of Fireball doing 1D6-1 damage per ST used. on turn 2, it drops down to normal fire damage and remains at that level until the fire expires or is extinguished.
IQ 15
3 Hex Flame Strike (M) Cost to cast is 2 ST plus 1 to 3 for the damage of the missile spell when it strikes. Shoots a fireball targeting the closest of three connected hexes in a line. The roll to hit uses missile spell DX adjustments. The wizard sets the 3 hexes to be targeted. On the turn it is fired, the hexes targeted ignite as if hit by the appropriate level of Fireball doing 1D6-1 damage per ST used. on turn 2, the fire drops down to normal damage and remains at that level until the fire expires or is extinguished.
IQ 17
7 Hex Flame Strike (M) Cost to cast is 4 ST plus 1 to 3 for the damage of the missile spell when it strikes. Shoots a fireball at the closest of seven connected hexes in a line. The roll to hit uses missile spell DX adjustments. The wizard sets the 7 hexes to be targeted in the line. On the turn it is fired, the hexes targeted ignite as if hit by the appropriate level of Fireball doing 1D6-1 damage per ST used. on turn 2, the fire drops down to normal damage and remains at that level until the fire expires or is extinguished.

Last edited by warhorse11h; 12-02-2022 at 06:09 AM.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #153
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
One of the old magazines that put out new spells for Classic TFT had a megahex version of Fireball and Wizards Wrath.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:39 AM   #154
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
Unable to determine if you were speaking in jest or not so here is a first attempt.
Not at all in test. My take on igniting fire from a distance here.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:50 AM   #155
tomc

I like them!

It can be fun to have NPC Wizards with spells that aren't known/available to everyone. It helps maintain the feeling that you're facing the unknown.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:05 PM   #156
warhorse11h

Quote:
Not at all in test. My take on igniting fire from a distance here.
Slight differences between your version and mine, but I think either one would work well enough. I really like the immolation spell. I have tried to do one for that very purpose, but mine was clunky. May I appropriate yours?

I've also reworked my Flame Strike spells to reduce the damage or at least spread it out more.

Flame Strike (M) Fire and Fireball are prerequisites to learn this spell. Cost to cast is 2 ST. Shoots a fireball at a hex selected by the mage prior to casting. The roll to hit uses missile spell DX adjustments. If it hits this hex, it detonates in the hex doing 1D6+1 damage to anyone in that hex and 2 points fire damage to anyone in the adjacent hexes. After the first turn, the hex is a normal fire hex, doing normal fire damage to anyone in it or passing through it or stopping in it. It cannot be renewed, but could be recast.

IQ 15
3 Hex Flame Strike (M) Fire and Fireball are prerequisites to learn this spell. Cost to cast is 3 ST. Shoots a fireball at a line of three connected hexes selected by the mage prior to casting. The roll to hit uses missile spell DX adjustments from the mage to the center hex of the targeted area. If it hits this hex, it detonates in the three hexes doing 1D6+1 damage per hex and 2 points fire damage to anyone in hexes adjacent to the affected hexes. After the first turn, the affected hexes are normal fire hexes, doing normal fire damage to anyone in it or passing through it or stopping in it. It cannot be renewed, but could be recast.

IQ 17
7 Hex Flame Strike (M) Fire and Fireball are prerequisites to learn this spell. Cost to cast is 5 ST. Shoots a fireball at a line of seven connected hexes selected by the mage prior to casting. The roll to hit uses missile spell DX adjustments from the mage to the center hex of the targeted area. If it hits this hex, it detonates in the seven hexes doing 1D6+1 damage in each hex and 2 points fire damage to anyone in hexes adjacent to the affected hexes. After the first turn, the affected hexes are normal fire hexes, doing normal fire damage to anyone in it or passing through it or stopping in it. It cannot be renewed, but could be recast.

In this way, the spells are less likely to kill but are likely to injure multiple enemies while leaving the blast and missile combinations to be more like artillery.

Last edited by warhorse11h; 12-03-2022 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:47 PM   #157
Shostak

Quote:
I really like the immolation spell. I have tried to do one for that very purpose, but mine was clunky. May I appropriate yours?
Of course! I'd be pleased to hear some after-action reports of the mayhem that might ensue from using it!

Quote:
I've also reworked my Flame Strike spells to reduce the damage or at least spread it out more.
I like these. If a character knows Flame Strike and raises IQ to meet the next spell in the series, do you let them learn it automatically, or do you treat it as a separate spell?
Old 12-04-2022, 05:16 AM   #158
warhorse11h

Quote:
Of course! I'd be pleased to hear some after-action reports of the mayhem that might ensue from using it!

I like these. If a character knows Flame Strike and raises IQ to meet the next spell in the series, do you let them learn it automatically, or do you treat it as a separate spell?
I would probably follow the path of automatic learning.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #159
warhorse11h

An alternative slate of summoning spells for those interested.

IQ 9
Summon Giant Snake (C): Brings a giant snake (ST 12, DX 12, IQ 4, MA 6, bite does 1D6+1 damage) to follow wizard’s orders. See Summoned Creatures. Costs 2 ST to cast, plus 1 each turn the giant snake remains.

IQ 10
Summon Fanged Bounder (C): Brings a Fanged Bounder (ST 12, DX 11, IQ 5, MA 14, claws do 1D6+1/2D6-1 HTH damage, fur stops 1 hits) to follow wizard’s orders. See Summoned Creatures. Costs 2 ST to cast, plus 1 each turn the Fanged Bounder remains.

IQ 11
Summon Lion (C): Brings a Lion (ST 24, DX 14, IQ 6, MA 12, bite does 2D6/2D6+1 HTH damage, fur stops 1 hits) to follow wizard’s orders. (See Summoned Creatures.) Costs 3 ST, plus 1 each turn the Lion remains.

IQ 12
Summon Sabertooth (C) Brings a Sabertooth ST 30, DX 14, IQ 6, MA 12 damage 2D6+1 fist 3D6 HTH, fur stops 1 hit. Sabertooth cost 4 ST to summon plus 1 per turn to maintain.

IQ 13
Summon Cave Bear (C): Brings a Cave Bear (ST 40, DX 10, IQ 5, MA 8 Claws do 3D6-1 damage, Claw/Bite 3D6 in HTH. Fur stops 2 hits. ) to serve wizard. (See Summoned Creatures.) Costs 4 ST, plus 1 each turn the Cave Bear stays.

IQ 14
Summon Hippogriff (C): Brings a Hippogriff (ST 24, DX 13, IQ 6, MA 18/24, 2D6 2D6+1 HTH, Fur stops 1 hit. -2 DX to hit one because of high maneuverability) to follow wizard’s orders. (See Summoned Creatures.) Costs 5 ST, plus l for each turn the Hippogriff stays.

IQ 15
Summon Small Hydra (C): Brings a small (4-hex) Hydra (ST 30, DX 12, IQ 8, MA 8; Each head can bite for 1D6+1 plus venom (if any) to follow wizard’s orders. Costs 5 ST, plus 1 each turn the small Hydra stays.

IQ 16
Summon 7 Hex Dragonodon (C): Brings a 7-hex dragonodon (ST 50, DX 13, IQ 22, MA 10 on ground, 30 in air; breath 3D6+1, cost of breath 3 ST. Claws 3D6 damage, stomp 3D6+1, armor stops 5 hits) to serve wizard. Costs 5 ST, plus 2 each turn the dragonodon stays.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #160
hcobb

Quote:
An alternative slate of summoning spells for those interested.

IQ 9
Summon Giant Snake (C): Brings a giant snake (ST 12, DX 12, IQ 4, MA 6, bite does 1D6+1 damage) to follow wizard’s orders. See Summoned Creatures. Costs 2 ST to cast, plus 1 each turn the giant snake remains.
Why not match the Staff to Snake stats?