Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: pricing breakdown "Psionic" power modifier w/ insubstantiality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If you already can affect at -3 without it, why not just buy Reliable 4 +20% for half the cost and +4 to the roll?
Might not be allowed on a specific power? I don't really know, nor did I write that. I figure its there because Reliable came out in Powers and was not in Basic.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #12
Anaraxes

Reliable benefits a specific ability's activation roll. If you put it on Insubstantial, it doesn't offset the penalty for any other ability you happen to use while Insubstantial. It makes it easier for you to go Insub (assuming you've taken some sort of Requires (Attr) Roll or other activation). Putting Reliable on every other ability you have also only helps those abilities' activation rolls -- and specifically not (for instance) ranged attack rolls (for which you need Accurate).

Last edited by Anaraxes; 02-05-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #13
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Reliable benefits a specific ability's activation roll. If you put it on Insubstantial, it doesn't offset the penalty for any other ability you happen to use while Insubstantial.
I'm talking about buying Reliable on the ability (not insubstantial) instead of the +40% "Affects Insubstantial" you would normally buy for such abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Putting Reliable on every other ability you have also only helps those abilities' activation rolls -- and specifically not (for instance) ranged attack rolls (for which you need Accurate).
Accurate (B102) is just as cheap as Reliable, although Accuracy (B269) is only of benefit if someone takes an Aim maneuver so it's not as beneficial in offsetting this penalty in fast combat.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote