Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
cyberpuppy2015

Default Equipping fantasy "Movie Star"

I'm looking to equip a "movie star" type character ["Rita 'Hayworth' Dayton]; she has $6,000 to spend - at TL 3. "Fantasy" type millieu.
cyberpuppy2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Purple Haze

Default Re: Equipping fantasy "Movie Star"

I am having trouble picturing the media infrastructure necessary for a TL3 "movie star" even in a fantasy world. How are "movies" made? Distributed? Marketed? What are the tabloid equivalent? The gossip columns?

In the real world there were a few rich and famous TL2 professional athletes. But performing artists....
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Also, equipment for what? Nothing stated so far points to any needs beyond clothing befitting their (unspecified) status and basic personal items.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
I am having trouble picturing the media infrastructure necessary for a TL3 "movie star" even in a fantasy world. How are "movies" made? Distributed? Marketed? What are the tabloid equivalent? The gossip columns?

In the real world there were a few rich and famous TL2 professional athletes. But performing artists....
There is no reason there cannot be actresses. Theodora of Byzantium was an actress-or an "actress"-depending on which version you believe. There can also be female bards. Or any other type of entertainer. And these can be iterant.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
jason taylor

Court Dress-whatever design and material is suitable for attending a palace.

For work, she would have the clothes appropriate to her character role.

She could be given fencing, by the way. Not because it is needed but because having her be a dualist as well as an entertainer is an interesting twist.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
Purple Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
There is no reason there cannot be actresses. Theodora of Byzantium was an actress-or an "actress"-depending on which version you believe. There can also be female bards. Or any other type of entertainer. And these can be iterant.
No, Theodora was a lady's maid to an actress/prostitute. Had she been provably a prostitute herself there is no way Justinian would have been able to marry her. She was also retired, a Christian convert, and married before Justinian met her. She certainly was not known for her acting nor her beauty. She was a complete unknown before she became empress.

I can think of very few performers of any sort that became really famous before motion pictures. Perhaps Mozart, Liszt, Paganini, and Chopin.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
jason taylor

Quote:
No, Theodora was a lady's maid to an actress/prostitute. Had she been provably a prostitute herself there is no way Justinian would have been able to marry her. She was also retired, a Christian convert, and married before Justinian met her. She certainly was not known for her acting nor her beauty. She was a complete unknown before she became empress.

I can think of very few performers of any sort that became really famous before motion pictures. Perhaps Mozart, Liszt, Paganini, and Chopin.
Perhaps but those examples are enough to jiggle past suspension of disbelief.

Don't forget the guy who invented The Turk, what was his name?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Richard Burbage
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #9
Daigoro

Quote:
Mata Hari and Houdini were famous without being movie stars. I'm sure there were famous vaudeville stars too. Opera and ballet would've been the equivalent to movies in earlier times.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
I can think of very few performers of any sort that became really famous before motion pictures.
Jenny Lind, opera singer touring worldwide.

The medium seems less important to "fame" than mass communications and travel technology.

There were quite a lot of troubadours famous in the Middle Ages. Not household names today, no doubt -- but then, I doubt anyone's going to remember Tom Cruise or Scarlett Johansson six hundred years from now, either.

Culture also matters. If performing arts aren't respected and valued, then performers aren't likely to be famous enough to survive in written records, much less oral traditions of their legend. Then there's our modern bias when looking back. It's a lot easier to display works of medieval and Renaissance visual artists in a museum than it is to "display" a performing art from when there was no recording technology, or even a way to write down music or dance.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thespian