Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
SCAR

Default Combat Pilot Flight Suit (TL10)

(From Ultra Tech) what would be the best option for the flight suit of a TL10 military pilot.
The pilots in question will be flying different types of spaceships (fighters, drop ships, search and rescue, possibly bigger ships), and I want them to have a suitable standard flight suit.

My first thoughts are either: Smart Vacc Suit [UT179] possibly with Morph Wear option [UT189]; or if they're might end up in person combat, Nanoweave Vacc Suit [UT179].

Are these too heavy for general use? Is a Skinsuit [UT178] a better general option? (it would be for civilian pilots, but military pilots ?)
Can a Skinsuit be worn under a full Vacc Suit, or other sealed suit/armour options?

I know I don't want to allow the Space Biosuit as the culture they work for does don't have good Biotech.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Darekun

Default Re: Combat Pilot Flight Suit (TL10)

There's a division based on the effectiveness of vehicular weapons/armor.
  • Rarely used in RPGs, for obvious reasons, vehicular weapons may have so bypassed vehicular armor that ejection and personal armor are useless. In this case, the skinsuit may be optimal; the main concern is other EVA, since the description says it's not used for that. Do they normally use Star-Trek-style shuttlebays and such, or is EVA a normal activity? In the latter case, the smart vacc suit would be better.
  • If protection is moderate compared to weapons, such that a pilot can expect to eject but might face spalling or anti-crew warheads(or cinematic explosive consoles), "flak" protection would be needed; the nanoweave vacc suit may be optimal.
  • Protection may be good enough that a pilot won't face damage until they eject, whether due to armor being that much tougher than engines and such, or the cockpit being buried deep inside. The smart vacc suit may be optimal, unless they'll need "flak" protection once ejected.

In addition, without superscience inertial compensation, getting knocked around inside a cockpit may be a concern. If so, the +9* DR of the nanoweave vacc suit would be important.

The weight of these suits is not negligible; winter clothing is listed on B266 as being 4pd, and that's the same weight as a skinsuit without air tanks or helmet. A smart vacc suit and visored space helmet wouldn't encumber a ST:10 individual, but a nanoweave vacc suit and space combat helmet would need ST: 14 to avoid Light encumbrance. With helmets and LSPs stored near their vehicles, the remainder of a nanoweave vacc suit probably wouldn't encumber a ST:11 individual.

However, "stereotypical flyboy" is not an athletic position, and the heaviest of these loads is significantly lighter than what modern infantry carry.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
SCAR

I haven't made detailed decisions on all the spaceships and tech issues, which I guess I should probably do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekun View Post
There's a division based on the effectiveness of vehicular weapons/armor.
  • Rarely used in RPGs, for obvious reasons, vehicular weapons may have so bypassed vehicular armor that ejection and personal armor are useless. In this case, the skinsuit may be optimal; the main concern is other EVA, since the description says it's not used for that. Do they normally use Star-Trek-style shuttlebays and such, or is EVA a normal activity? In the latter case, the smart vacc suit would be better.
  • If protection is moderate compared to weapons, such that a pilot can expect to eject but might face spalling or anti-crew warheads(or cinematic explosive consoles), "flak" protection would be needed; the nanoweave vacc suit may be optimal.
  • Protection may be good enough that a pilot won't face damage until they eject, whether due to armor being that much tougher than engines and such, or the cockpit being buried deep inside. The smart vacc suit may be optimal, unless they'll need "flak" protection once ejected.

In addition, without superscience inertial compensation, getting knocked around inside a cockpit may be a concern. If so, the +9* DR of the nanoweave vacc suit would be important.
Based on how I want it to play out, option 3 would be right - the characters should (largely) be safe inside the spaceship and Gravity Compensators (which is what Spaceships calls that Tech) are going to be required.
I don't think I want EVA to be a normal/expected activity - so perhaps Skinsuit would be 'sufficient', with a Smart Vacc Suit as a safe compromise.

Quote:
The weight of these suits is not negligible; winter clothing is listed on B266 as being 4pd, and that's the same weight as a skinsuit without air tanks or helmet. A smart vacc suit and visored space helmet wouldn't encumber a ST:10 individual, but a nanoweave vacc suit and space combat helmet would need ST: 14 to avoid Light encumbrance. With helmets and LSPs stored near their vehicles, the remainder of a nanoweave vacc suit probably wouldn't encumber a ST:11 individual.
I really don't want to push required ST too high, and I know the players won't want to be over-encumbered.

Quote:
However, "stereotypical flyboy" is not an athletic position, and the heaviest of these loads is significantly lighter than what modern infantry carry.
I'm probably thinking on the level of 'stereotypical flyboy', but if I know my players, they're going to be athletic and are going to want infantry levels of armour and weapons 'just in case' !
Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
I'm probably thinking on the level of 'stereotypical flyboy', but if I know my players, they're going to be athletic and are going to want infantry levels of armour and weapons 'just in case' !
If they want to be athletic, pack infantry combat capability, and not have too much ST, sell them Commando Battlesuits. It's ridiculous overkill for a flight suit, of course, and you need Battlesuit skill at least as high as Piloting...but it's about the only thing that'll support that spec.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Langy

A standard civilian cybersuit would be a much better fit than a commando battlesuit. Not *too* much armor or enhancements, it works great as a vacc suit, you don't need Battlesuit skill if you don't use the ST enhancement, etc., etc. Only problem is it's TL11, but as the GM you can always say 'hey, they came up with that a TL early'.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
A standard civilian cybersuit would be a much better fit than a commando battlesuit. Not *too* much armor or enhancements, it works great as a vacc suit, you don't need Battlesuit skill if you don't use the ST enhancement, etc., etc. Only problem is it's TL11, but as the GM you can always say 'hey, they came up with that a TL early'.
Does it have vacuum support? I was just looking at the entry and didn't see that listed.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Does it have vacuum support? I was just looking at the entry and didn't see that listed.
Second last paragraphy UT184, after tactical ESM, "It is sealed and provides vacuum support."

The Cybersuit was cool in 3e, and is still cool. Not sure I want to allow them something like that from the start (although a move to new cutting edge tech is a possible path they can follow!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
If they want to be athletic, pack infantry combat capability, and not have too much ST, sell them Commando Battlesuits. It's ridiculous overkill for a flight suit, of course, and you need Battlesuit skill at least as high as Piloting...but it's about the only thing that'll support that spec.
Just because they want it (like they will always want a few more points for skills, etc), doesn't mean I will let them - "This is the Imperial Navy, you get what you're given sonny."