Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
La1cajun

Default Kneepads of Allure

Can kneepads of allure be used on more
Than one person in a combat? My group was
Playing and a player was about to beat a creature after using kneepads on another player of higher level. I wandered in a monster then he used them
On me. Didn't know for sure if that would work. Thanks
La1cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Kneepads of Allure

Nothing about the Kneepads Of Allure changes the rules about how many helpers you can have. Once you have one helper, you're not eligible to get another one and couldn't use the Kneepads Of Allure again in that combat, unless, for some reason, the helper is forced to leave in such a way that you can choose a new helper.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
The Big Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
Only one player can help you, adding his combat strength to yours. Anyone can play cards to affect your combat, however!
No that would not be allowed,
the rules say you can only have 1 person help by adding his combat strength to yours,

The Kneepads force someone to help but does not alter the rule about how many can help you so they can't force a second person to join the fight. The Kneepads also can't force people to use cards and remember whoever if forced to help by adding his combat strength is still not compelled to win so may still play cards to try to lose the combat!

If a player forced to helped does end up in a losing combat that forced player must then also run away from the monsters

I love the kneepads of alure!
The Big Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Flemroid

I couldn't find this anywhere although I'm surprised no one has asked so I probably missed it but....

It says that the the winning level can't be gained if the helper is helping due to the knee pads but it doesn't say that you can't use the knee pads in a fight where the winning level is at stake. So if I'm a level 8 against a 2 level monster can I force a level 9 to help me and then I'd only go up to level 9 if we beat the monster?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Pleh

I'm not sure about this, but I think that you'd have to be first losing the fight before you could use the Kneepads to force someone to help you, so I'm fairly sure it couldn't happen in that situation. However, that may not have been the point of your question....
Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You cannot decide not to take a winning level. Therefore, you cannot use the Kneepads in a fight where the winning level is at stake.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Flemroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You cannot decide not to take a winning level. Therefore, you cannot use the Kneepads in a fight where the winning level is at stake.
So I guess in the same situation where someone has used the knee pads and then a monster is wondered in that would give the winning level the helper is backed out of the fight?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemroid View Post
So I guess in the same situation where someone has used the knee pads and then a monster is wondered in that would give the winning level the helper is backed out of the fight?
Yes, that's how it should be handled.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
MIB2826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
So...
Player A has the Kneepads and is level 8 and is facing the Plutonium Dragon (2 levels). If he forces player B to help, he will win the combat and the game.

If player B plays a GUAL on player A, then player A can't force Player B to help anymore, right?
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Pleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB2826 View Post
So...
Player A has the Kneepads and is level 8 and is facing the Plutonium Dragon (2 levels). If he forces player B to help, he will win the combat and the game.

If player B plays a GUAL on player A, then player A can't force Player B to help anymore, right?
Actually, based on what Andrew said, a level 8 fighting a monster that gives 2 levels CAN'T use the Kneepads to force another player to help them.

However, if Player A were level 7 facing a Plutonium Dragon and uses the Kneepads to force Player B to help, then Player B plays a GUAL on Player A, then Player B would be ejected from the combat because then the winning level was at stake (from being level 8 and about to receive 2 levels, one of which being the winning level).

Quote:
I assumed that the Kneepads' requirements are only valid at the point of where a player is forced to help.
That's what I would have thought as well, but I can see how that would make the Kneepads perhaps a little TOO powerful. There ought to be some tricks to get around it if the winning level is involved. Using a wandering monster or a GUAL is a rather hefty price to pay, strategically speaking. Especially in the late game.