Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Life mirrors gurps

Be it watching an action movie, some youtube vid, or a random daily situation, i often see myself gurpsfing everything and seeing everything in gurps rules lol.

A friend once told me that life mirrors gurps and now I understand him...

anyone got this point already ?
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Fwibos

Default Re: Life mirrors gurps

Most Definitely. Not that I believe that we can boil life down to a GURPS game, but I will sometimes watch a movie and realize maybe 20 minutes in that I am stat-ing it in GURPS.

It usually cause me to utter a long suffering sigh and feel a bit of shame.

However, I only played one GURPS game where we played ourselves. That was a horrendous mistake. I believe a recent poster explained a similar experience where some one tried to convince me hey could "do magic", and didn't want to take it as a delusion. (It was a realistic special ops type game).

I digress. Like many role-players I have the quirk "Goes on about anecdotal roleplaying experiences without much prompting."

I just hope it's not an OPH.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
lexington

To the great annoyance of my little brother I occasionally define the character traits of people in TV shows or movies in GURPS terms.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
Mailanka

I've managed to not talk about the virtues of GURPS's approach to Fast-Draw every time I watch Justified. My wife appreciates it.

I also spent all of the A-Team movie wondering what Hannibal and B.A. would be in GURPS Action. Clearly, Murdoch is the Wheelman, and Face is the Face. B.A. might be a Big Guy (from Furious Fists), but I simply can't guess what Hannibal would be. He seems to be "the guy with the plan." I'd design him as a leader-type with lots of Leadership and Tactics, but none of the templates seem to focus on that.

Perhaps there's room for a pyramid article on that...
Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
simulatoralive

I do this all the time, but never really considered voicing any of it.

I don't have all that many people around me that play role-playing games, so I guess there isn't much point to actually saying anything.

I remember a little of it and use it on similar characters, but most of it I forget about within five minutes.

Islands of War is my fantasy campaign setting for GURPS. It includes Adventures.

Have trouble drawing dungeon maps? Try Inkscape and my Dungeon Template.

I'm building a video game.
simulatoralive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #6
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I've managed to not talk about the virtues of GURPS's approach to Fast-Draw every time I watch Justified. My wife appreciates it.

I also spent all of the A-Team movie wondering what Hannibal and B.A. would be in GURPS Action. Clearly, Murdoch is the Wheelman, and Face is the Face. B.A. might be a Big Guy (from Furious Fists), but I simply can't guess what Hannibal would be. He seems to be "the guy with the plan." I'd design him as a leader-type with lots of Leadership and Tactics, but none of the templates seem to focus on that.

Perhaps there's room for a pyramid article on that...
Actually, My roommate and I discussed a similar issue with Leverage concerning Nate. He doesn't do anything as well as anybody else. He'd obviously be a Pointman in the SPYCRAFT game, who essentially hands out bonuses to other team mates. But Aside from fairly good social skills, he is hard to stat in GURPS. THe best I can think of is afflictions that give bonuses, advantages and disadvantages with the special effect "based on his ability to plan."

Other possibilities include: Serendipity, Super Luck, Intuition, Common Sense, Empathy.

A character like that certainly needs a GM who is not adversarial.

Oh, god! quick1 someone else admit to stat-ing people so as not to derail the thread!
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
laguna

I got into an argument recently with a friend who had taken a knife-fighting class in the past.

he had been taught the "20 foot rule" that if a good knife fighter was within 20 feet, a gunman would not be able to draw and fire before the knife-fighter could get to him.

my counter-argument, a knife fighter vs a schmuck with gun, this might be true. but any GUNFIGHTER worth his salt is gonna have a decent quickdraw.

my friend was kinda like X( at my logic.
laguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguna View Post
I got into an argument recently with a friend who had taken a knife-fighting class in the past.

he had been taught the "20 foot rule" that if a good knife fighter was within 20 feet, a gunman would not be able to draw and fire before the knife-fighter could get to him.

my counter-argument, a knife fighter vs a schmuck with gun, this might be true. but any GUNFIGHTER worth his salt is gonna have a decent quickdraw.

my friend was kinda like X( at my logic.
I have no idea about real life (though my gut agrees with you), but in GURPS, it simply wouldn't fly. 20 feet is between 6 to 7 yards, which is at least one move action. Therefore, in the best of circumstances, it'll take two seconds to close and attack (unless you're making a Move and Attack, and those odds suck, unless you're using heroic charge).

Meanwhile, a gunman with Fast-Draw can have that gun out and fire it in one second. Even if he doesn't have Fast-Draw, he can back-pedal, and once he's got his gun out, he can fire while back-pedaling. This might sound twinky, but I think it's what I would do in real life: start retreating as soon as the guy with the knife came after me, fumbling to get my gun out and then firing like crazy at him.

I don't think the ideal situation for a knife fighter is charging someone. It's a very close-ranged weapon. A sword, maybe, a shield certainly, but not a knife. The ideal place for a knife is starting the fight is very close, preferably from behind. In the dark. Grinning.

EDIT: Fell for the trap >.<

Last edited by Mailanka; 07-19-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
PseudoFenton

My girlfriend and I were watching Ninja Assassin last night and spent about half the film discussing how the main character was stated out and could afford all of their abilities. In fairness its probably what made the film highly memorable and worth watching! So I'd say doing this is more of a quirk than a full social disadvantage. ;)
PseudoFenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
laguna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
My girlfriend and I were watching Ninja Assassin last night and spent about half the film discussing how the main character was stated out and could afford all of their abilities. In fairness its probably what made the film highly memorable and worth watching! So I'd say doing this is more of a quirk than a full social disadvantage. ;)
Obligatory: I want to kill you and steal your girlfriend.
laguna is offline   Reply With Quote