Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #11
Maz

Default Re: GURPS News Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'm still waiting for GURPS Cabaret Chick On Ice....
Oh. Wow. Throwback :D
Old 05-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
aaron819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
This is PK we're talking about. A project large and chaotic enough to stymie him?

We can only be talking about the release of Fifth Edition.
I was thinking TFT. Honestly i hope they don't do a 5th edition a year after i get into the system and spend a bunch of money on 4th.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #13
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron819 View Post
Honestly i hope they don't do a 5th edition a year after i get into the system and spend a bunch of money on 4th.
I'm pretty sure Anaraxes was being sarcastic. Anytime anybody in the know is asked about doing a 5th edition their answer is along the lines of "It's 10 years in the future, and always will be."
Kaboom-baya.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #14
Anaraxes

It was intended as a joke, yes. Also as a compliment to PK, to invent a project suitably gargantuan as to absorb his talents :)

AFAIK, a 5e is nearly as mythical as GURPS Cabaret Chicks on Ice. It was 16 years between 3e and 4e, and we're only 14 years into 4e. SJG certainly is in no hurry to toss out another edition just to collect another round of sales.

I recall Kromm once posting an interesting speculation along the lines of not thinking another edition would be worth doing until they could come up with something truly transformational, publishing the game in electronic form -- not PDFs, which are just machine-readable adaptations of dead-tree formatting, but as a database plus machine-readable and perhaps -executable rules. GCA wouldn't have data files encoding the rules; it would just look directly at the rules. There wouldn't be a debate about adding VTT support, as the mechanics would already be expressed in code. The hard part, in fact, would be turning that source back into some sort of human-readable format like a PDF, full of explanatory English.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #15
Bruno

Having GURPS expressed as a database-driven application with the rules encoded in the database as business logic, like heavy duty business software is designed, means that you can modify the rules and have the results cascade throughout the entire system naturally.

So for example if we had the situation with Offhand Weapon Training, you could errata it (or houserule it) to be a perk instead of the technique, and it would move to the correct part of the rules, of character templates, and character writeups, and characters would all have appropriate points refunded depending on how many they had previously spent.

If I wanted to change the price of Regrowth for my games, every racial template and metatrait encorporating it would have its price corrected.

Traits that are "secretly" a metatrait (of which GURPS has quite a few) being written up as metatraits 'under the hood' would enable this sort of thing to cascade further for more fundemental changes. Change the value of a +1 / -1 to reactions and all the traits that are essentially "+1/-1 to reactions" with enhancements/limitations/0 point features attached would have their values tweaked.

EDIT: But that has nothing to do with the price of tea at the concession stands of the GURPS Caberet Chicks On Ice live performance or PKitty. Good luck Rev. PKitty in all your things, and to you Kromm in yours!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post

Might need amending, sounds like the same thing is causing both of you trouble.
The troubles are many and varied.

My life has been fraught with personal issues I'd rather not spam across an Internet forum. It suffices to say that you won't see me around as much in late May through mid June because I'm moving and restarting my life, at not-inconsiderable personal expense (the missed work being only one small part of that). Hopefully life will be back to normal for me by summer – though if I have the pennies left, I might actually take the vacation my therapist warns me I need. Aside from mandatory time off work every winter (during which I usually do some work), I haven't just up and left work behind in seven years, and before that, for about 26 years . . .

PK's life has also been fraught with personal issues. Those are his to talk about, but they aren't mine – we aren't in the same city or even country, so I doubt my chaos and his are linked in any meaningful way.

PK's project is a whole other issue. It is something I'm aware of and must occasionally weigh in on, but it isn't my project. I'm plugging away at lots of small projects to keep the GURPS line alive, while he has one big project. Nobody here has guessed it correctly, and I'm not leaving clues in my words here . . . it's important, yes, but it isn't a huge development like a new edition or a major film or literary license. He's writing a book, just one that calls for a lot of energy, much as GURPS Mars Attacks did.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
PK's project is a whole other issue. It is something I'm aware of and must occasionally weigh in on, but it isn't my project. I'm plugging away at lots of small projects to keep the GURPS line alive, while he has one big project. Nobody here has guessed it correctly, and I'm not leaving clues in my words here . . . it's important, yes, but it isn't a huge development like a new edition or a major film or literary license. He's writing a book, just one that calls for a lot of energy, much as GURPS Mars Attacks did.
GURPS Modern Earth. A complete and current worldbook for the world we live in... and every time PK get's close to finishing he realizes it's now two months out of date...
Old 05-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #18
Tom H.

Thank you for sharing that Kromm.

Our culture seems to be extraordinarily performance driven; although, its always perspective on how we humans measure things.

Best wishes to you both again.

P.S.

I've always suspected PK was working on some kind of introductory set for Monster Hunters; although, I am not seeking confirmation.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #19
Gollum

Yes. Best wishes to both of you.

We can wait a bit more for your projects. GURPS will go on living thanks to all the amazing work you already did.

So take all the time you need. Then, you will be able to come back again in full shape and with a lot of new ideas and the required time to achieve them. We have no doubt about that.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #20
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
GURPS Modern Earth. A complete and current worldbook for the world we live in... and every time PK get's close to finishing he realizes it's now two months out of date...
We could actually use a Modern Earth sourcebook, or a series of books (I'd like at least an infobox), but if they were actually doing one, they'd have likely selected a cut-off date for it.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Closed Thread