Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
laguna

Default Re: new campaign, need input

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I wouldn't divide by 6, those are "alternate abilities" and as such should be given that. pay for the most expensive and pay 1/5 for the rest, even given them the "accessibility: only on a roll of X" <-- that part you would have to decide for yourself how much it would be. so when he wants to use them he would roll, what ever the roll is is the one he gets. best way I can think of making a "roulette" ability.
upon using that calculation, the skill would be priced at 177pts minus however much for the accessibility limitation. I donno, I think alternate ability is more for similar abilities that can be switched between, whereas in this case, move 1 is a ranged attack, move 2 is an AoE paralysis, and the super mode is a +6 to DX and basic move. they're three very different abilities.

my rational for dividing by 6 was along the lines of the "day/night only" limitation you can put on an ability. it says to take 50% off of the price if an ability is usable only at night or day, since logically at any given time the power is needed, it'll have a 50% chance of being available.

applied in this situation, I just had to make sure that the three abilities that I created at least had in common that they would remain useful for the DURATION of a combat. (although I'd let the player make a roulette roll if he wanted a chance to use the ability for problem solving out of combat)
laguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Working only day/night is a -20% limitation, not -50%. If it works 1/6 of the time, it's a -35% limitation.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
laguna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Working only day/night is a -20% limitation, not -50%. If it works 1/6 of the time, it's a -35% limitation.
WHOOPS! ok, I flubbed that attempt at rule-quoting, but I DO remember reading some limitation that halved the point value of a disadvantage when it was only on half the time.

I think the reason a day/night limitation is only worth 20% is because when the PCs take OFFENSIVE action, they can choose the time of it in many cases, so the player can PLAN to have the ability available. it's only on a DEFENSIVE action that can happen ANY time that a PC might be caught without his ability.

that being said, a diceroll per combat ability would be COMPLETELY uncontrollable (no rerolls for any reason) and therefore be worth much more than -20%

and yes, I am tying myself up in knots trying to keep my ruling (the two characters seem to be evenly matched)
laguna is offline   Reply With Quote