Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Mathyoo

Default Curse! Malign Mirror and "Items"

Hi,
We played a lot of Munchkin in the past week and encountered a lot of cases where we could not agree on what is legal.

After consulting FAQ and searching online for answers, these questions persist:

7) Curse! Malign Mirror
It states that in the next fight, only armour provides bonuses. Does this mean player can only fight a monster with his level and armour (not other equipped items), but can use one shot modifiers and doppleganger, or can he do nothing to buff himself except ask for a helper?

8) Items
Lastly, are one shot treasures "items"? I believe they are, as they have value on them, but at the same time it "feels" wrong. Does this mean they can casualy be "carried" (Displayed on board sideways) like other equipment?

We played it as if this is so, which lead to people hoarding spells, so I am guessing we did this wrong? If they are not items, what exactly does count as an item that can be put on board - only armour and weapons?

I apologise for bombarding you with questions, alas at least it shows we gave the game a good run! Thank you for your patience, time and help in advance and I wish you all best in 2018!

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 12-31-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Mathyoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:45 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Curse! Malign Mirror and "Items"

Hi, Mathyoo. I'm splitting your LONG post into several shorter ones, with more detailed subject lines, to make it easier for other people to find the answers to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathyoo View Post
Hi,
We played a lot of Munchkin in the past week and encountered a lot of cases where we could not agree on what is legal.

After consulting FAQ and searching online for answers, these questions persist:

7) Curse! Malign Mirror
It states that in the next fight, only armour provides bonuses. Does this mean player can only fight a monster with his level and armour (not other equipped items), but can use one shot modifiers and doppleganger, or can he do nothing to buff himself except ask for a helper?
You cannot use any Items other than Armor. Other bonuses are still legal to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathyoo View Post
8) Items
Lastly, are one shot treasures "items"? I believe they are, as they have value on them, but at the same time it "feels" wrong. Does this mean they can casualy be "carried" (Displayed on board sideways) like other equipment?

We played it as if this is so, which lead to people hoarding spells, so I am guessing we did this wrong? If they are not items, what exactly does count as an item that can be put on board - only armour and weapons?

I apologise for bombarding you with questions, alas at least it shows we gave the game a good run! Thank you for your patience, time and help in advance and I wish you all best in 2018!
Items are cards with a Gold Piece value (including the exact phrase "No Value," which is the same as zero Gold Pieces). Some Items are one-shot Treasures, and these may be played to the table, ready for use. The rules even say that one-shots may be played from your hand or from the table.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote