Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #101
Oracle

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Reprint

A huge thanks to T. Bone and Sean! This is just the info I was going for.

I also participated the TFT Kickstarter (fond memories when that system and Melee/Wizard prior came out).

With the announcement that Frog God Games’ Lost Lands will have TFT compatiability I have mulled over discussing with Bill of Frog God (more like beg) consideration for Dungeon Fantasy and by extension GURPS Dungeon Fantasy at some point. Doesn’t hurt that I live very close to their operations.

Thanks again everyone. Next project is to teach my 9yr old son (we have been doing some OSRPG) and some old grognards like myself the joys of TFT and later Dungeon Fantasy.

K. Walker
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #102
Dalin

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Reprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Next project is to teach my 9yr old son (we have been doing some OSRPG) and some old grognards like myself the joys of TFT and later Dungeon Fantasy.
My 9-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter are big fans of DFRPG, along with many of their friends and classmates. I first introduced them to D&D a few years ago, but they started asking questions—like if they could improve particular skills—that made me long for GURPS. I jumped from D&D to GURPS back in the '90s, but after a decade's hiatus, I hadn't fully digested 4e, so I was hesitant at diving back in with the kids. But then, to the sound of a heavenly choir, the first printing of DFRPG came out and I had a glossy box on the dining room table. We've never looked back.

Now my kids play all the time, I have a regular adult group, and I teach middle-school students how to play as part of my day job. DFRPG is a very good thing.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #103
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'm currently between campaigns, but if I decide to jump back in, it will be with the DFRPG as written.
I agree with this sentiment, in fact I doubt I could have stretched DF for as long as I have (almost two years so far) without DFRPG coming out and making it much easier for me.

Except, I still feel the below GURPSish rules should have been included:
  • Committed and defensive attacks
  • Beats and ruses
  • The rules for big creatures from the Pyramid article, slams, parrying etc
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #104
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
My 9-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter are big fans of DFRPG, along with many of their friends and classmates. I first introduced them to D&D a few years ago, but they started asking questions—like if they could improve particular skills—that made me long for GURPS. I jumped from D&D to GURPS back in the '90s, but after a decade's hiatus, I hadn't fully digested 4e, so I was hesitant at diving back in with the kids. But then, to the sound of a heavenly choir, the first printing of DFRPG came out and I had a glossy box on the dining room table. We've never looked back.

Now my kids play all the time, I have a regular adult group, and I teach middle-school students how to play as part of my day job. DFRPG is a very good thing.
Interesting! Thanks for the real life example Dalin. Now I am tempted to buy the PDFs for the current DFRPG instead of waiting for the revised version I already have coming with my DF Monsters commitment. Hate to lose 3-4 months with my son and possibly members of his school program where parents are encourage to help out with specialized group classes spread over the K-8 students in the program. I’ve already helped with a D&D class a friends 8th grader has run 3 times this year.

K. Walker
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #105
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Except, I still feel the below GURPSish rules should have been included:
  • Beats and ruses
  • The rules for big creatures from the Pyramid article, slams, parrying etc
Yours, plus mine:

Extra Effort In Combat, from Basic.
Long Weapons In Close Combat, from Martial Arts.

And I'm aiming to have my next campaign use Divine Favor and Sorcery.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #106
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
  • Beats and ruses
I can think of at least two ways to effectively model a beat using the concepts from Fantastic Dungeon Grappling. One is using a bind, the other a disarm.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #107
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I can think of at least two ways to effectively model a beat using the concepts from Fantastic Dungeon Grappling. One is using a bind, the other a disarm.
Why would I do that when I have perfectly good rules from Martial Arts?
Old 04-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #108
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yours, plus mine:

Extra Effort In Combat, from Basic.
Long Weapons In Close Combat, from Martial Arts.

And I'm aiming to have my next campaign use Divine Favor and Sorcery.

Yes, I've added the latter too, but forgot to mention it.

I'm considering allowing the former too, but I assumed it was left out for a reason that I hadn't considered.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #109
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Why would I do that when I have perfectly good rules from Martial Arts?
I never liked the Beat rules from Martial Arts that much.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #110
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I never liked the Beat rules from Martial Arts that much.
Really? I quite like them as a way of punishing players who think they can shrug off parries and so on.