Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #1
Bathawk

Default Indestructible Shields

I know of page 78 of Supers it advises to simply take a base shield, add in the DB bonus, and then give it gadget modifiers. but what if I'm ok with a shields base DB? (in this case a small shield which is normaly DR;5 HP: 20 and a DB of 1)

but what if I'm ok with a DB of 1? how do I still make the shield indestrucible? (so I have something reliable to use with precognitive parry?)

On a related note, why does a shield have a DB? it seems comparable to 3rd editions "passive defense", but I don't see how a shield can give you a bonus to your dodge roll for eample
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: Indestructible Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
I know of page 78 of Supers it advises to simply take a base shield, add in the DB bonus, and then give it gadget modifiers. but what if I'm ok with a shields base DB? (in this case a small shield which is normaly DR;5 HP: 20 and a DB of 1)

but what if I'm ok with a DB of 1? how do I still make the shield indestrucible? (so I have something reliable to use with precognitive parry?)
Depends on the campaign. But RAW supers answer is in the same box on p78, that is buy it as a unbreakable gadget.

Other campaigns can buy such as rules exception(ignore optional shield breakage rules) or in other ways.

Quote:

On a related note, why does a shield have a DB? it seems comparable to 3rd editions "passive defense", but I don't see how a shield can give you a bonus to your dodge roll for eample
The DB presents the fact that attackers have to hit/shoot past the shield so have a smaller area target and when doing things like dodging you can dodge some blows behind your shield and thus can move a shorter distance. It should be remembered that the default rules treat shields as unbreakable and breakage is an optional rule.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
Refplace

GMs call as to what you need for an indestructible shield. Some might allow it with just a perk. Depends on the setting.

The DB is like partial cover and rather than give a skill penalty to hit it grants a bonus to Active Defense. Even if your trying to Dodge rather than block something that makes it harder to see your full body should provide a benefit.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Bathawk

well i guess the question applies to any indestuctible item, not just shields

For example, what if I had an indestructible sword, it dosen't o any more damage than it's normal swing +2 cut....but can't be destroyed or lose it's edge

Or a certain characters indestructble rope...it dosne't give any bonuses to bind (that depends on the the characters tying skill, or strength if actively managing a lasso/noose
Old 12-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
well i guess the question applies to any indestuctible item, not just shields

For example, what if I had an indestructible sword, it dosen't o any more damage than it's normal swing +2 cut....but can't be destroyed or lose it's edge
Personally, I'd build this by using Signature Gear with a Cosmic enhancement: +50% if the item can be lost or taken from you as normal (but will still tend to find its way back as per normal Signature Gear), and +100% if it's not only indestructible but will always find its way back shortly, even in "impossible" circumstances.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Shields would need, at most, a Rules Exemption Perk to ignore shield damage rules. Swords can be done either via Orichalcum material quality or ST-Based Innate Attack (with a Gadget modifier).
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Boge

I don't understand when to use shield DR and "cover DR" with a shield. When does the shield bearer take damage through an attack that is defended with the shield? Also, does that only come into play when the DB of the shield determines the defensive success?
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Shields suffer damage when used to block or when a dodge or parry succeeds by the DB bonus or less. Shield bearers only suffer damage in excess of the shield's effective cover DR.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
Bathawk

Another option might be to do "reverse limitations"

like my light shield has a DR:5, DB 1....that would normaly cost 55 points. breakability for a DR: 5 item is normaly -15%, saving me 8.25...or 8 points

so an indestructible light shield would be 8 points (of course it wouldn't protect me from a 15d minigun....just helps the shields survivability

then again not sure how that would apply to a lasso or "bulletproof laptop"
Old 12-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Or a certain characters indestructble rope...it dosne't give any bonuses to bind (that depends on the the characters tying skill, or strength if actively managing a lasso/noose
The Lasso of Hera is probably best as a Gadget (since it's principally Binding and Mind Probe, not "has an indestructible rope") and Gadgets are indestructible by default.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote