Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Ovo supreme

Default Lamb Relic Help!

So my friends and I were playing and wondering what and what isn't allowed to be played if someone is in another realm. Can monsters be wandered, steal a level from them, etc. Thanks in advance!
Ovo supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Magicpiemel

Default Re: Lamb Relic Help!

Very good question, what did you figure out?
Magicpiemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
ToXikflare

Yo, we are having the same problem. I have emailed Usaopoly about this, hopefully they get back. If they do, I'll post the answer on here.
ToXikflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Jimmy Flower

Man i've got the same problem, we just thought that if the card says " none can help you and you cannot help others " maybe is not that much a winning card, but otherwise it gives you a penality .. ?
Jimmy Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan

This is rather frustrating for me as well. I started just recently with Adventure Time and the expansion, and this card has caused some interesting effects. It would be great if the original creator could convey their intention but since this has been open for a year and a half, that seems unlikely. In that case, I will bend the forum rules of only answering in "definite rulings" and give my interpretation. Don't spank my hams!

My interpretation is that ordinary interactions cannot take place--player-cast curses, monster enhancers, wandering monsters, combat bonus one-shot items, trading, thieving, looting a player corpse, or other items that target the player "inside" the lamb--but things that affect turns can--Prismo's Pickles.

This has led to the frustrating scenario where a player draws this portal card, holds it in their hand until level 9, and then basically puts up a force field that makes them invulnerable to mischief while they win the game, assuming they can kill the monster in combat.

It's an interesting card based on the lore of the set, but it seems either a silly way to die at low levels, or broken at game-winning levels. Nobody else has had a problem with this or encountered an official ruling?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Battle Moon

For Lamb Relic, my friends and I came to the decision that nothing can be done to a person in a separate dimension. people not in the same dimension can't amplify monsters, take away levels, ally with another player, play or receive curses (unless played by self on self), trade, give or receive charity, etc to a player in a different dimension. Until they the defeat a monster and return to the same dimension as the other players are in, they cannot affect or be affected by other players. Our reasoning for this was that if you are in another dimension, how would you affect that character? Unless there is a card that says it can travel through dimensions (which I don't think there is other than the portal cards themselves), you cannot get to that character. They are literally on their own.

The only thing we are struggling with is cards that specifically refer to people sitting next to you. Right now, we are just skipping the person in the other dimension.
Battle Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #7
Manistic

How my group plays it is that while we can't affect the individual - direct monster enhancers are A'ok. One-shots are not.
Our reasoning is simple: you are in another dimension, you can't help or be helped by your friends, because you are in another dimension, but that does not mean you won't run into a monster and their mate, and their child and their mom, etc. Or that you won't run into a friendly version of the monster. Monster enhancers are not one-shot items. They are something that can be argued to be inherent to that particular monster at that particular time and place.
One-shots on the other hand are items that a person physically had to use to enhance either side of combat.
Manistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #8
Magicpiemel

So does anyone have an answer? We faced the exact same problem. In the end we decided the monster can be helped to prevent people from hoarding this card till they are level 9.

We have the same rule with the Lich (adventure time Munchkin). You have to face hime alone so if you hoard him till the end there is nothing anyone can do. This we prohibited as well.

I don't think it's in the spirit of the game for people to start hoarding cards for the last level. There are some combinations ofc. For exemple if you have the pink sweater and a monster that kills you, but these are more rare and there is at least some stuff people can do.
Magicpiemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Nobunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicpiemel View Post

I don't think it's in the spirit of the game for people to start hoarding cards for the last level.
It is ABSOLUTELY in the spirit of the game to hoard cards until the last level.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:35 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

The term "Help" has a specific meaning in Munchkin, and that is where another player joins the fight against the monster, shares in the loot if victorious and must run away if defeated.

Playing one-shots and/or enhancers on either the monster or player currently in combat isn't by Munchkin definition "helping". Thus if you get a card that says "You can not be helped or help others", these actions should be legal as long as the card does not specifically state that other players can not play cards like the Lich does from Adventure Time.

Remember this is by no means official though.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote