Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #21
Rupert

Default Re: Drinking During An RP Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't use coffee either, but for different reasons. Alcohol terrifies me (the older generation of my family were mostly alcoholic), but coffee just tastes unspeakably vile. I get my caffeine from Diet Dr. Pepper, now that Coke Zero has gone off the market. . . .
You can still get it here in NZ, along with diet Coke, Coke No Sugar, and that low sugar Coke. It's like they just send the tail-end of all their new lines down here.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
Bruno

Coke Zero and Died Coke are still going strong in Canada too. Not much of the low sugar stuff around that I can find, though.

As a general rule, I don't drink - I very much like the taste of alcoholic beverages, but I don't like feeling it at all. These days I'm even more cautious because of my medications.

When gaming face to face, our group often has some craft beers floating around. The drinkers know their limits and don't get more than tiddly (and our group is short on drivers).

Since our face to face group often games sitting in armchairs or couches, gaming products are kept naturally separated from the beverages (alcoholic or not).

Our online RP groups have at least some drinking, but I generally don't know until someone mentions it. Except. That one time the guy from Australia logged on and was typing in pure drunklish, and I learned that not only is he a classically trained touch typist, but that as a classically trained touch typist myself, I can read touchtyped drunklish.

Drunklish, for the uninformed, is when you're so drunk you put your hands on the wrong part of the keyboard and can't figure out why the letters are cinung iyt wribg (or are so drunk you don't know they are). It's basically a cipher formed by offsetting the letters from one (or both) hands by one key (sideways, vertically, or both), and it seems I can read it without going through the effort of deciphering it. Who knew?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Coffee is apparently a really good choice, but those of us who game in the evening tend to avoid it for practical reasons. Though I've found that in daytime games where coffee is less of an issue for one's sleep, it's a far worse influence than alcohol on the quality of gaming. Caffeine-buzzed gamers are irritable and impatient.
Without stimulants I'm distracible and impatient, but then my brain doesn't do dopamine uptake right.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #24
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

There was a time when I didn't do it and didn't allow it. Typically we only had one or two people that wanted to and since the GM asked them not to, they refrained.

Now I don't have such an issue with it other than, as is consistent here, to excess.

The exception to the exception is, I'm part of my third or fourth gathering of gamers that spend the weekend eating, drinking, and gaming. As a result, I've run a Dungeon Fantasy game with a table full of drunks. I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. They were completely obnoxious, it was hell keeping them focused, and everyone had a good time.
Not something I'd like to make a habit of, but an experience I don't regret.

The current group(s) might have a drink or two and, if it's at my home, I might have a drink or two, but again with a respectful level of control.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #25
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I game largely through online methods, and I don't drink. I've had one or two players who drunk during the game, but they did so in moderation and it didn't really effect the game. They were never excellent players, but I think that was just happen stance.

I would never game face to face with someone drinking, but that's possibly because I find the smell of alcohol detestable.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #26
johndallman
Night Watchman

At a regular games convention I attend, there is a bar, and some people will have a few pints of beer over a 12-15 hour day of gaming. It doesn't seem to affect them.

A drinking-and-gaming incident I was GM for ended up with an "Everybody has been resurrected now, but we could use a really good lawyer" situation, but it was also great fun.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #27
Icelander

I'm as likely to drink during gaming sessions as any other social activity with the same people.

During college, this means that if we gamed on a weekend, we'd always drink. Once or twice, we gamed, and drank, pretty much steadily from Friday night to Sunday.

One memorable Sunday morning, we'd long since polished off all booze in the apartment, even the weird Mitteleuropean liqeur, so we declared the day the official 'Call Your Dad' holiday. Two out of three of us were able to convince their fathers to make flying visits and donate to us any spare inebriants they had lying around. It enabled us to tack on another ten hours or so of well-lubricated ludi.

On that occasion, we were playing a fast-paced action adventure fantasy game, where the two PCs were young cousins, one a tall, strong swordsman from a highland clan and the other a roguish confidence man and thief from a big city. Very Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. The cousins swiftly found themselves part of a privateer crew, pirate-hunting in waters where corsairs and buccaneers sailed in massive fleets (assuming they could ever agree on anything) and could easily threaten most city states.

The first sessions were mostly marathon stretches of furious boarding actions, interspersed with stern chases, storms, shipboard romance and the occasional venture into the seedy underbellies of various port cities. We had one rather unusual rule. Whenever an NPC was slain, we had to take a drink. Well, as I recall, the players had to drink when their characters slew a foe. As GM, all fatalities required a drink for me.

Given the casualty rate inflicted by heroic adventurers fighting murderous boarding actions, all parties at the playing table (more often just the sofa) were usually rollicking in true piratical fashion. Fortunately, there were no firearms or cannon and the NPC party spellcaster was an illusionist, not a fireball-flinging evoker.

Even so, I think we edited the rules so that only significant foes, like enemy officers, champions or clearly memorable scoundrels, merited a full shot of strong drink. Faceless goons were quickly relegated to just a healthy swallow of beer or a mixed beverage.

I'm pretty sure the alcohol contributed to foolhardy tactics and an almost suicidal approach by both PCs to every battle, as the cousins, each in their own way, vied to out-do one another in reckless feats of courage. 'Brash' Mickey, the Weapon Master swordsman, always managed to cut down a greater number of opposing crewmen, but Murlak Solsice, his cunning compatriot, as often as not managed to swing his way over the crowded decks to stick a hidden knife in a spellcaster's kidney or defeat the enemy captain saber to saber.

Some thirteen years and several children (none mine) later, we are still playing the same characters in the same campaign. 'Brash' Mickey is Sir Michael Carragher and about to marry into the nobility while Murlak Solstice has many names and commands a healthy respect in any gathering of cutthroat-financiers... as well among the better informed cutthroats of many portal cities. Instead of crewing a privateer vessel, they own and command fleets of merchant ships and a mercenary army and navy, with powers equivalent to the East India Company.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:53 AM   #28
patchwork

My current host is clear about no alcohol on site. Which doesn't thrill me, but her place, her rules. That said, we tend to dine separately right before game, and I normally had a drink with dinner and finished it just before I walked in.

I've only seen drinking during a game at conventions. At private social gatherings, in my experience, gamers simply don't drink. That said, when you're playing with strangers, everybody having a stiff drink is an excellent way to avoid plot constipation and overcaution. If you like surreal horror games, it's especially entertaining to keep everyone's glass full, including the GMs's.
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #29
trooper6

I think one of the reasons I tend to keep dry is because I don't think of gaming as a social activity like a dinner party where we might all drink...but instead like a professional hobby like doing community theater...and I'd never drink while doing a play. Afterwards? Sure. But not during.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #30
JMason

Gaming is a major outlet for me to destress, and while I don't drink most of the time, there was a period where I would have a beer or hard cider or two during the game. And honestly it helped me relax, forget about work or whatever, and enjoy the game more.