Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 03-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Antonucci23

Default Illuminati Reboot?

Is a reboot of Illuminati (original non-CCG edition) in the works?

It seems topical and easy, at least conceptually. It's a Nixonian game in a New Nixonian super-conspiracy era.

Would be delighted to do game redesign and/or cooperate with artist if that would facilitate.

Thanks!
Antonucci23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
HunterS
Marketing Director

Default Re: Illuminati Reboot?

It is not. A new printing of Illuminati is on the way in 2017, but it's just a new printing, cards have not changed.
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
Oldpreach

So, there will be some reprints I take it ? I need the Y2K expansion that came out after the boxed deluxe edition in the late 90's. Its getting hard to find, and when you do, most of the time it comes at a premium. Nice !
Oldpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:51 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpreach View Post
So, there will be some reprints I take it ? I need the Y2K expansion that came out after the boxed deluxe edition in the late 90's. Its getting hard to find, and when you do, most of the time it comes at a premium. Nice !
We have no plans to reprint Y2K.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
HunterS
Marketing Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpreach View Post
To expand on Phil's comment, the new printing is just Illuminati, not the expansions. It's just a regularly scheduled printing to make sure we keep it in stock for stores and the warehouse.
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
Ganybyte

In this age of renewed conspiracy and "fake news" how is a true reboot or even small expansion not in the works?

Sure Munchkin sells ridiculously, but it also gets so much support. Just some card replacements or additions to Illuminati would do wonders for getting it out to a new audience. Or go one better and tighten up the rules and get the true playtime to 90 minutes; with some marketing and just basic updates Illuminati really could get much closer to Munchkin numbers. I'd love to get a new version to my table.
Ganybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganybyte View Post
In this age of renewed conspiracy and "fake news" how is a true reboot or even small expansion not in the works?
We have limited resources and are focused on completing a few major projects before opening up another monsterload of work.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
Buzzardo

I know you have a zillion things to do and a small staff to do them. I also know that you have to spend your efforts on the things that make the mostest money, with not much money or time left over for pet projects.

All that said, though, I'd love to see a Fake News expansion for Illuminati that would add groups relevant to the current situation. Thanks for listening. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The problem with topical references is that in a very short time, they aren't topical anymore. If we were more able to refresh our games, swapping out older, less au courant jokes for fresher ones, that would be ideal. However, we're typically doing well just to get things reprinted on the right schedule - actually changing the games might cause the Flow to collapse.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The problem with topical references is that in a very short time, they aren't topical anymore. If we were more able to refresh our games, swapping out older, less au courant jokes for fresher ones, that would be ideal. However, we're typically doing well just to get things reprinted on the right schedule - actually changing the games might cause the Flow to collapse.
Y2K was topical, but I get your point. And I know what you've been reading. So have I. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote