Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Bandii

Default 3e Spirit Form to 4e; How to convert?

Have there been any threads dealing with converting 3e Spirit Form to 4th edition?

Thanks.

-Mike
Bandii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Jerander

Default Re: 3e Spirit Form to 4e; How to convert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandii
Have there been any threads dealing with converting 3e Spirit Form to 4th edition?

Thanks.

-Mike
Did you ever find anything?

Jerander
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

There is a Spirit Metatrait on B261. You can likely modify something from that, maybe combining with Alternate Form under Shapeshifting..
Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wrathchild
There is a Spirit Metatrait on B261. You can likely modify something from that, maybe combining with Alternate Form under Shapeshifting..
The 3e Spirit Form adv. was quite a bit more involved than the 4e Spirit Meta-Traits, even with the Fantasy add-ons. I've done the work and am semi-satisfied with the results. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

The one thing I'm still having trouble with is the Probability Altering ability. +/-1 to any success roll per FP spent. How do you model that in 4e?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander
The 3e Spirit Form adv. was quite a bit more involved than the 4e Spirit Meta-Traits, even with the Fantasy add-ons. I've done the work and am semi-satisfied with the results. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

The one thing I'm still having trouble with is the Probability Altering ability. +/-1 to any success roll per FP spent. How do you model that in 4e?
I think you want to start with Visualization. Check out the enhancements from Powers, there's one that lets you give bonuses to other peoples rolls, and another that lets you give penalties to other peoples rolls.

Mix in variable fatigue costs and you're probably most of the way there.

Note that 4e doesn't have open-ended abilities, and Visualization requires a skill check and concentration time so it won't work exactly the same... but I think it has enough of the elements you want.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I think you want to start with Visualization. Check out the enhancements from Powers, there's one that lets you give bonuses to other peoples rolls, and another that lets you give penalties to other peoples rolls.
Perfect. Thanks. Spirit Form 4e posted in a moment.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Jerander

Okay, here's what I have so far. Abilities marked with one or more * indicate place of confusion.

Doesn’t Sleep [20]

Insubstantiality (Affect Substantial, +100%; Usually On, -40%) [128]

Invisibility (Affects Machines, +50%; Extended: EM vision, sonar, magnetic fields, +40%; Substantial Only, -10%; Usually On, +5%) [74]

Telecommunication* (Telesend) (Costs Fatigue, 1 FP/sec, -10%; Speech Only, -20%*) [21]

*Telesend indicates speech or pictures. I guestimated -20% for Speech Only.

Telekinesis (Costs Fatigue, 1 FP/min, -5%; Melee Attack, reach C, 1, -20%) [3.75/level]

Unaging [15]

Mute (Substantial Only, -10%) [-22]
Difficult Speech [21]

Jumper (Spirit) (Costs Fatigue 1, -5%; Limited Access, two worlds, -20%; Warp Jump, +100%) [175]

Empathy (Vision-Based, -20%) [12]
Detect (Supernatural Auras, common) (Precise, +100%, Vision-Based, -20%) [36]
Detect (Ritual Invoking: name or summoning token, rare) (Long-Range, +100%; Precise, +100%; World-Spanning, +100%) [20]

Warp* (Accessibility: “Only to place of occult power or into presence of ritual invocation,” -80%*; Warp Jump, +100%) [120]

*Wasn't sure how to price that accessibility. Here, "place of occult power" is a single, specific location. Like the site of death for a ghost.

Snatcher (Costs Fatigue, 1 FP/min, -5%; Creation, +100%; Specialized: “Items appropriate to spirit,” -25%; Only While Substantial, -10%) [64]

Possession* (Chronic, +20%; Costs Fatigue 1 FP/min, -5%; Maximum Duration*; Spiritual, -20%) [95]

*Yeah, the duration/FP costs for Spirit Form possession are arcane and complex. 5 FP for 3d seconds. 7 FP for 3d minutes. 10 FP for 3d hours. 15 FP for 3d days. I don't know if it's worth the effort to try and recreate it. Any ideas?

FP* (Accessibility: “Only in place of occult power,” -10%; Granted by personal place of occult power, -40%*) [1.5/level]

*Here, "Accessibility: only in place of occult power" indicates any place appropriate for the spirit, not just its "home POP." Example: *any* death site for a ghost. -40% for "granted by POP" is stolen from "granted by familiar" and is based off spirit's single, unique "home POP."

FP* (Granted by worshippers, -40%*) [1.8/level]

*-40% for "granted by worshippers" is stolen from "granted by familiar."

Visualization* (Based On Will, +20%; Blessing +0%; Costs Fatigue 2, -10%; Cursing, +100%; Reduced Time 7, +140%; Selectivity, +10%) [36/level*]

Oh, here's my thought. Visualization normally requires a description of how things will run. Bonus to roll is based on how close the description is to what really happens. Bonus could be zero to more than one. Instead, I thought, ditch the description and just apply a flat +/-1 instead for even points.

I also thought about making it a leveled ability, maybe with a Variable enhancement (is that the correct one?) to supply blessings/curses of different strengths. If the spirit wanted more than one blessing/curse going at the same time, it'd have to buy the advantage again an specify how many levels each has. Thoughts?

Maintenance (1 person, monthly) (Requires Will Roll, -5%) [-2]

Feature (affected by Astral Block, Bind Spirit, Command Spirit, Entrap Spirit, Pentagram, and Repel Spirits spells) [0]

Thanks,
Jerander

Last edited by Jerander; 01-09-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Altering template
Old 01-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Jerander

Default Re: 3e Spirit Invulnerability adv. to 4e

I'd go with:

Unkillable 3 (Only While Substantial, -10%) [135]

Comments?

Thanks,
Jerander.

Last edited by Jerander; 01-09-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Altering template
Old 01-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
carllarson

Does Invisibility (Substantial only) still need the Affects Machines and extended senses enhancements? Considering those are 'substantial'?
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllarson
Does Invisibility (Substantial only) still need the Affects Machines and extended senses enhancements? Considering those are 'substantial'?
That should mean you can only be invisible while you are substantial... so no Invisibility combined with Insubstantial. In that limited set of conditions, if you want the Invis. to extend to machines and other senses you will still need the proper enhancements.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spirit invulnerability