Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Sectumsempra Spell help

I have an issue, I need advice please. I am trying to craft a spell [Gurps basic magic as skills] for my fantasy game and it is as seen in Harry Potter, Sectumsempra. “A rather dangerous curse, when the incantation is uttered its effect is the equivalent of an invisible sword; it is used to slash the victim from a distance, causing rather deep wounds. The slash follows the user's wand movements. Due to the depths of the cut, the victims run the risk of dying from blood loss if treatment is not applied in time, if the wounds are not instantly fatal.”

My question is since it can’t be seen and has a range, and the cuts simply appear, is this a regular spell and you cannot dodge, and its resisted by HEALTH at -1 per hex away, or is this a Missile spell and DR applies? It appears as the spell simply slashes the skin, and can even cut a rope. But its a missile spell then how can you dodge a spell you can’t see coming at you? But if it’s not a dodge, then its right to health, and DR would not apply correct? And if so, 1d6 per 2 FP seems extreme damage for bypassing DR.

Thoughts? Help?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Sectumsempra Spell help

Start with Distant Blow and than add damage, probably 1pt per die.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
arnej

Default Re: Sectumsempra Spell help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
I have an issue, I need advice please. I am trying to craft a spell [Gurps basic magic as skills] for my fantasy game and it is as seen in Harry Potter, Sectumsempra. “A rather dangerous curse, when the incantation is uttered its effect is the equivalent of an invisible sword; it is used to slash the victim from a distance, causing rather deep wounds. The slash follows the user's wand movements. Due to the depths of the cut, the victims run the risk of dying from blood loss if treatment is not applied in time, if the wounds are not instantly fatal.”

My question is since it can’t be seen and has a range, and the cuts simply appear, is this a regular spell and you cannot dodge, and its resisted by HEALTH at -1 per hex away, or is this a Missile spell and DR applies? It appears as the spell simply slashes the skin, and can even cut a rope. But its a missile spell then how can you dodge a spell you can’t see coming at you? But if it’s not a dodge, then its right to health, and DR would not apply correct? And if so, 1d6 per 2 FP seems extreme damage for bypassing DR.

Thoughts? Help?
I would go look at the Distant Blow spell in the Movement College. (M144)
  • It has the ranged and invisible attack attributes.
  • There is no resistance roll, but can be defended against as against an invisible opponent.
  • It leverages an actual melee weapon rather than the wand.
  • It is a Regular spell, so range penalties add up.

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote