Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
thondar

Default Price of fantasy/medieval weapons & Armours

Do you think the ufficial price are realistic?
Anyone know something better?
thondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Price of fantasy/medieval weapons & Armours

We are holding our breaths for Low-Tech. Although, not literally, because it won't come out until sometime next year.

Edit: On a side-note, even having fixed prices is unrealistic. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a rigid system of price control in the Middle Ages (well... maybe China.)
Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thondar View Post
Do you think the ufficial price are realistic?
Anyone know something better?
The official prices are in Gurps $ not any historical unit of currency. The first thing you'll need to do is convert $ into your historical unit of choice and if you don't like the results how can you be sure that your conversion is good?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

In the case of swords, I think it's more realistic than almost any other fantasy RPG out there. FRPGs tend to price swords low, because "swords are cool" and they want everyone to have one, but realistically, it takes a fair amount of skill and material to make one in the first place.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
In the case of swords, I think it's more realistic than almost any other fantasy RPG out there. FRPGs tend to price swords low, because "swords are cool" and they want everyone to have one, but realistically, it takes a fair amount of skill and material to make one in the first place.
Which is why in my GURPS games I have lots characters equipped with axes, knives, spears and pole arms. One of my friends thought I was crazy when I suggested he take an axe instead of a sword, until I explained it to him ($50 vs $500 for a poor charaster).

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Polydamas

GURPS prices armour too cheaply, and swords may be a bit too expensive relative to guns and armour. I have a database of historical prices which I add to as I find more stuff. Most of it is from England between 1300 and 1650.

The problem is that prices varied widely depending on how developed the local economy was. If iron is produced on a large scale, and there are towns with hundreds of people who each specialize in making a different piece of armour (or in one step in making armour) then metal armour will be cheap compared to a society where iron is made a few hundredweight at a time by the same people who make swords, armour, and metal grilles for the king's house. In a low-tech game where realistic economics are important, you basically have to throw out the official price list and write your own. But in most games, economics aren't!

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 10-18-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
nanoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
Which is why in my GURPS games I have lots characters equipped with axes, knives, spears and pole arms. One of my friends thought I was crazy when I suggested he take an axe instead of a sword, until I explained it to him ($50 vs $500 for a poor charaster).
Plus, it's easier to make an effective and easy to use character who uses an axe. Axe and shield are really good for characters wanting to deal a lot of damage and keep some protection, all on a budget. If you want to shell it out, you can get a fine axe, too, for about the price of sword. Then, you're really hurting people.

That said, a good player can use the sword to his advantage. Being able to thrust as well as cut can be very, very handy. Thrusts to the vitals are nice for sure.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I like there are room in the system for these things happening. If not, everybody starts and ends carrying the same weapon (sword!) just because gamey reasons. A good sword never is justly appreciated: furthermore, they want the next improved magical sword, because the "mundane" one soon becomes very insignificant, etc. Things like the examples you've put above help to break the homogeneity between characters.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Nymdok

Agreed.

In D&D 1e for example, eveyone carried a longsword because it was 1d8 vs the mace 1d6 or the axe 1d6.

So what you essentially had were entire classes of weapons that never got used. Fortunately, we were MUCH younger then so it didnt strike us as odd that even the lowliest of peasants carried nice shiny longswords :)

Nymdok

Full on proponent of the axe/halberd! SWING DAMAGE IS NO JOKE!
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Dwarf99

yeah and when you add RPK's rules for making things bigger... OH GOD HELP US ALL! (ftw!)
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, middle ages