Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
talpion16

Default Help on a Space Marine

I was wondering if anyone wanted to help me on this, no need if no one wants to because it could take some time, im playing a space opera campaign and wanted to be a space marine type, kinda similar to john 117 from halo but, well better. we are 535 points 110 disadvantages, So yeah dont expect anyone to respond but doesnt hurt to ask :]
talpion16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Agramer

Default Re: Help on a Space Marine

What is setting your Space Opera is in?
What is standard TL for PCs?
Is there Higher TL stuff available?

Is he ex-marine OR member of Armed forces?
Is he Veteran or Rookie? (From Description assume veteran)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Phantasm

For Space Marines, I'd expect decent ST, DX, and HT (at least 12 across the board, and maybe higher ST and/or HT, depending on setting's eugenics/bioengineering), and an IQ of 11 (they shouldn't be dumb, popular opinion aside), with Fit (and likely Very Fit).

Skills would include Free Fall, Soldier, and whatever Beam Weapons and Guns specialties are common in the setting (Rifle for either at a minimum). Also Vacc Suit or Battlesuit, again depending on setting. Unarmed combat would be Brawling and/or Wrestling; Karate and/or Judo are also possible.

For disads: Duty, Code of Honor (Soldier's), and Sense of Duty (unit) are all plausible. Overconfidence and On The Edge are popular in fiction, but lead to short careers.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Agramer

You might want to check this thread.
Imperial marines from another setting
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
talpion16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
What is setting your Space Opera is in?
What is standard TL for PCs?
Is there Higher TL stuff available?

Is he ex-marine OR member of Armed forces?
Is he Veteran or Rookie? (From Description assume veteran)
the TL is 10 higher isnt available hes is a member of the military right now
and its a made up setting.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
talpion16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
For Space Marines, I'd expect decent ST, DX, and HT (at least 12 across the board, and maybe higher ST and/or HT, depending on setting's eugenics/bioengineering), and an IQ of 11 (they shouldn't be dumb, popular opinion aside), with Fit (and likely Very Fit).

Skills would include Free Fall, Soldier, and whatever Beam Weapons and Guns specialties are common in the setting (Rifle for either at a minimum). Also Vacc Suit or Battlesuit, again depending on setting. Unarmed combat would be Brawling and/or Wrestling; Karate and/or Judo are also possible.

For disads: Duty, Code of Honor (Soldier's), and Sense of Duty (unit) are all plausible. Overconfidence and On The Edge are popular in fiction, but lead to short careers.
Yeah on the character i was playing around with i have most those things, i have 16 str 16 dx 12 iq and 12 ht, 34 str in my battle suit.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Mailanka

Fastest, simplest way might be to combine the Elite Soldier template from Space with the Orion or Spartan racial templates from Biotech, and then toss them in power armor and give them an ETC Storm Carbine, a Gauss HMG, or a Gyroc LSW. That should imitate super-soldier space marines like the Master Chief or 40k's Space Marines well enough, if you're too pressed for time to come up with anything more specific.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Langy

Quote:
give them an ETC Storm Carbine
At TL10 and in a battlesuit I'd give him an ETK Storm Chaingun instead of an ETC Carbine. The chaingun's a little over twice the weight but in a battlesuit that's really not an issue. Hell, it's not even an issue when out of the battlesuit with a ST of 16.

I'd consider going with an ETK Heavy Chaingun or ETK Minigun as well, but he wouldn't be able to use them if he was out of his battlesuit very well. The Minigun, maybe, as he has a default ST of 16 already, but the Heavy Chaingun really is heavy. Mind, if you go with the Heavy Chaingun you wind up doing up to 38d+2 pi++ damage (probably round it to 6dx6+9 pi++) with a 12 ROF, a 75 shot clip, and an Acc of 7. I'm assuming the pi+ designation is in error for a 15mm projectile, since the Heavy Chaingun is basically a TL9, amped-up version of the M2 machine gun. Give your Heavy Chaingun a scope and you're golden for sniper duty, too.

A shoulder-mounted ETK Storm Chaingun and a hand-mounted ETK Heavy Chaingun would probably work best so he can get out of the battlesuit and still use the Storm Chaingun, with a 40mm shaped charge grenade launcher somewhere to deal with people in heavy armor than 135 damage with at least a (2) armor divisor can't beat.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
nick012000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Fastest, simplest way might be to combine the Elite Soldier template from Space with the Orion or Spartan racial templates from Biotech, and then toss them in power armor and give them an ETC Storm Carbine, a Gauss HMG, or a Gyroc LSW. That should imitate super-soldier space marines like the Master Chief or 40k's Space Marines well enough, if you're too pressed for time to come up with anything more specific.
Even with that, though, he still only comes out to about 350-odd points, and that's with all the relevant Lenses added in. He'd still have about 200 points to spend on things like extra advantages, skills, and martial arts. Gunfighter is likely to be highly desirable, along with multiple Guns and Beam Weapons skills and the Cross-Trained perk to let him go for the whole "weild-any-weapon-he gets-his-hands-on FPS hero" feel. Maybe a few points in Broadsword and Axe/Mace for futuristic melee weapons.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
At TL10 and in a battlesuit I'd give him an ETK Storm Chaingun instead of an ETC Carbine. The chaingun's a little over twice the weight but in a battlesuit that's really not an issue. Hell, it's not even an issue when out of the battlesuit with a ST of 16.
Quite. I wasn't thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
Even with that, though, he still only comes out to about 350-odd points, and that's with all the relevant Lenses added in. He'd still have about 200 points to spend on things like extra advantages, skills, and martial arts. Gunfighter is likely to be highly desirable, along with multiple Guns and Beam Weapons skills and the Cross-Trained perk to let him go for the whole "weild-any-weapon-he gets-his-hands-on FPS hero" feel. Maybe a few points in Broadsword and Axe/Mace for futuristic melee weapons.
Seriously pumping stats and taking a few levels of luck is really handy too.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supersoldiers