Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
DanHoward

Default New ballistic body armor

Wearing a steel plate that has been perforated with holes seems to make any ballistic armour worn underneath more effective since it only has to resist fragments and not a solid bullet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7811567.stm

I was wondering how to determine GURPS stats for a composite body armour made of perforated bainite over kevlar?
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: New ballistic body armor

The usual purpose of hard/soft body armor layering is to have the hard outer layer degrade the bullet, spreading the force over a larger area where the soft layer absorbs it, so that aspect of the armor is unsurprising. I would be worried about this armor actually worsening the injury from rounds that do penetrate, by driving fragments of metal into the wound (this was apparently a problem with early bulletproof mail armor).

In GURPS, you would implement this stuff as a hard insert plate, just like any other, though it might have reduced DR vs crushing, and like most hard insert plates it's realistically semi-ablative. It also might be more random than normal for armor -- it looks like the hole size may be similar to the size of a bullet, so you could get significant variation depending on exactly how you hit (most likely, hole size is such that a bullet cannot actually fit through a hole, but even so different impact points would generate significantly different stresses on the bullet). Flechette rounds, if they ever come into common use, would have a good chance of shooting right through this armor. Might also be an issue with bullets with a hardened tungsten core, though those will generally shoot through body armor anyway.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward
Wearing a steel plate that has been perforated with holes seems to make any ballistic armour worn underneath more effective since it only has to resist fragments and not a solid bullet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7811567.stm

I was wondering how to determine GURPS stats for a composite body armour made of perforated bainite over kevlar?
I think the best way to represent that would either be to increase DR or provide a Armor Divisor... Divisor.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05
I think the best way to represent that would either be to increase DR or provide a Armor Divisor... Divisor.
That's Hardened. :D
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Given how much they are touting the ductility of the bainite it may be very hard to get the insert to actually make fragments.

I suspect that what they mean by 'becomes a blunt fragment' is that the deflection of the bullet turns it enough that it is trying to go through the vest sideways.

Normally I hate randomizing armor values but this may be a situation where it makes sense.

1) Roll 1d6 to determine how many d6s to roll for additional DR.
If that seems a bit much make it 1d6-1 (...2,3 etc) minimum of 0d6. For those that think the plate may produce fragments a negative roll (ie 1d6-3 and a roll of 1 making a net of -2) is the number of additional a) dice of damage b) points of damage c) fragments with their own damage.

2) Roll 1d6 - 1-3 double DR of the soft component of the vest, 4-5 multiply DR of the vest by 1.5, on a 6 no change.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul
Given how much they are touting the ductility of the bainite it may be very hard to get the insert to actually make fragments.
Did you look at the image in the article? It has a several holes in it.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
bstubby

Umm, unless I missed something the article is talking about vehicle armor, not body armor. The fact that the material will fragment is a moot point; nothing is going to impart enough force to the fragment to pierce the underlying armor without being a catastophic kill anyway.
bstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Did you look at the image in the article? It has a several holes in it.
Yes I did but the article does not mention fragmentation being a problem nor does the picture show that the holes are not made by the purposeful removal of material after the round broke part of the connecting web.

Did you notice that I included an option for fragmentation in the quickie statting that I did? Sub-option c) of option 1.

bstubby- you are right it is slated for vehicles but Dan wanted to know what people's thoughts of using it as a body armor were. At least that is what I got from his post.

Perforated hard steel plate may be a boon to ESA equipped vehicles as that would allow venting of the discharge.

Last edited by Joseph Paul; 01-05-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Joseph Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
DanHoward

Yes I know the article talked about vehicle armour. My question was whether the same combination would make a useful body armour. Perhaps using perforated bainite inserts instead of ceramic ones.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
Hai-Etlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward
Yes I know the article talked about vehicle armour. My question was whether the same combination would make a useful body armour. Perhaps using perforated bainite inserts instead of ceramic ones.
The article didn't provide enough information to determine that. If it were practical for body armour, I would think they would mention it. But even determining reasonable stats for vehicles would be tricky given just a news article.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor