Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Collective_Restraint

Default Quick armor question

I know this probably may sound stupid for a lot of medieval experts out there but I have a quick question about armor. Can someone wear a Mail Coif under a Barrel Helm ? My player is not a munkiny person at all, it's just that in the last session, he received both a nice set of mythril chainmail with an enchanted Barrel Helm and I'm just wondering if he can wear both or does he have to remove the coif to put the helm on ? Thanking you all in advance...
Old 11-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
ed_209a

Default Re: Quick armor question

Seems like it would be really loud...

unless it went skin > padding > chainmail > more padding > helm.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective_Restraint
I know this probably may sound stupid for a lot of medieval experts out there but I have a quick question about armor. Can someone wear a Mail Coif under a Barrel Helm ? My player is not a munkiny person at all, it's just that in the last session, he received both a nice set of mythril chainmail with an enchanted Barrel Helm and I'm just wondering if he can wear both or does he have to remove the coif to put the helm on ? Thanking you all in advance...
That was very common in medieval Europe. The barrel helm is hot, heavy, and restricts sight and hearing, and it was nice to have some protection when it was off.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
SuedodeuS

I personally think the mail coif should have a "concealable under clothing" tag, although it certainly isn't concealable as clothing! Since use of the coif under helmets wasn't unheard of, I think it should be allowed under the Layering Armor rules - just consider the mail coif as concealable.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas
The barrel helm is hot, heavy, and restricts sight and hearing
Part of the nice gift he received was that the magical helm didn't offer him extra protection; it completely cancels out sight penalties. The wearer can clearly see through it as if it was transparent.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_209a
Seems like it would be really loud...

unless it went skin > padding > chainmail > more padding > helm.
Maybe he could simply keep the coif around his neck but remove the hood portion from his head before donning the helm ? Would that sound reasonable ?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective_Restraint
Maybe he could simply keep the coif around his neck but remove the hood portion from his head before donning the helm ? Would that sound reasonable ?
not so much... unless it was created in two pieces and is detatchable, which I have never heard of (though I am certainly not any sort of authority)
having a mass of mail hanging at the back of your neck while trying to fit a helm (which should ALSO be designed to cover the back of the neck) will run into interferance problems. What IS feasible is a camail/aventail which is a chain drape running from the lower edge of the helmet outward in a cone aroung the shoulders and upper chest/back. but that would be a completely different piece, not something you could do with a coif at all easily.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
jacobmuller

B286: wearing an extra layer of armour anywhere but on the head gives -1 to DX...

Yes, he can wear his pot-helm over his mail at no DX penalty; as Polydamus said, it was common to do so.

The stats assume padding under everything so the weight, and DR, is already for padding + chain + padding + helm.

Nice gift - is it invisible or just allows unrestricted vision?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller
Nice gift - is it invisible or just allows unrestricted vision?
It is see-through from the inside of the helm. It is a nice gift. Let's just say he had to overcome quite a few ordeals before receiving his gift :) And he has now an even bigger challenge, face a Balron, Sosaria's equivalent of the Balrog...
Old 11-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72
not so much... unless it was created in two pieces and is detatchable, which I have never heard of (though I am certainly not any sort of authority)
having a mass of mail hanging at the back of your neck while trying to fit a helm (which should ALSO be designed to cover the back of the neck) will run into interferance problems. What IS feasible is a camail/aventail which is a chain drape running from the lower edge of the helmet outward in a cone aroung the shoulders and upper chest/back. but that would be a completely different piece, not something you could do with a coif at all easily.
Oh, I thought the the Mail Coif was indeed detachable ? Something like this.

Tags
armor