Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 12-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #71
AOTA

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
If there was some way to "upvote" AOTA, I certainly would!

Even skipping the "GURPS" part, I'd love to see a splat book on Cidri!
The fun thing about Cidri is that it could have multiple splat books since it is so huge. You could fit all the published GURPS Fantasy worlds on it and no even make a dent it the amount of space used. I think that original intent was to allow everyone to make a continent or world on Cidri.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #72
serleran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
You know that Flying Buffalo has returned the original edition to print, right? http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/mm.htm
I do now.

Thanks.
serleran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #73
Thorcon

Such great news, Steve, congratulations!

Back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, a friend of mine called to tell me Metagaming was going out of business, and we shot out of the house and bought up extra copies of ITL, AW, and AM. I still have both my original "working" copies and the pristine "backups" after all these decades and more than 30 moves around the country, as well as my original "Wizard" microgame with all the counters, all hoarded against the slim possibility of this day.

Looking forward to the Kickstarter!
Thorcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #74
GlennDoren

Quote:
A fair question, because the Dark City situation doesn't really have a precedent in the hobby AFAIK. It would not have been right to talk ABOUT Dark City until I had talked TO them, but I just finished a very pleasant call with George Dew. So the executive summary is, we are talking :) In my perfect Year 2019 or 2020, there would be no "clone rules" on the market, but there would be a wide variety of "new" fan-written adventures available under the TFT banner. I should not say "fan," because if these guys sell me a dozen adventures, they are pros.
George is a great guy--really glad to hear there may be some collaboration in the future.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #75
Shostak

TFT was my go-to game for many years. Loved it. Would love to see it back in print, preferably hardbound. Congratulations on regaining rights to it, Steve!
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #76
Cjannise

I would like to see more vintage style Thorze adventures, and the boxed set that Howard shot down, including Tollenkars Lair. A Rubydelve sourcebook. A TFT monster manual. All the things that should have been.

Last edited by Cjannise; 12-27-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Cjannise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #77
robertsconley

First congrats on recovering your rights!

Quote:
A fair question, because the Dark City situation doesn't really have a precedent in the hobby AFAIK. It would not have been right to talk ABOUT Dark City until I had talked TO them, but I just finished a very pleasant call with George Dew. So the executive summary is, we are talking :) In my perfect Year 2019 or 2020, there would be no "clone rules" on the market, but there would be a wide variety of "new" fan-written adventures available under the TFT banner. I should not say "fan," because if these guys sell me a dozen adventures, they are pros.
You might consider talking to CR Brandon who made Heroes and Other Worlds.

http://heroworlds.blogspot.com

I worked with him briefly when he asked me for permission to rework my Blackmarsh setting for H&OW* and he seems to be a stand up guy and was easy to work with.

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/rs-co...-20631252.html

*He didn't really need to ask permission as I released the map and text under the OGL but did so anyway.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #78
larsdangly

This game is so fundamentally strong, and died on the vine so young, that it has a lot of potential for an 'OSR'-style revival. There are quite a few players who have gravitated to the OSR publications aimed at variants of D+D. That community is producing tons of very creative material, and the customers tend to come back to the well so long as it is producing fresh ideas. Most of them don't have much experience with TFT, but they would figure it out pretty quickly if you put a good product in front of them.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #79
Skarg

I'm really glad Steve finally has the rights to The Fantasy Trip back! And I'm looking forward to whatever new stuff gets produced, especially if it includes affordable intro products so when I recommend TFT to new RPG players and old RPG players looking for a good fast-to-learn interesting/dangerous tactical system that mostly makes sense, I can point them to an actual easily-bought new product.

Nice new maps and especially counters would be great, especially if they're in a form that's handy for representing figures lying down, since miniatures and the old cardboard heroes aren't great for that (the new GURPS-DF counters at least you can remove the stands to lie them down, but they're too big to show kneeling in one hex or TFT bodies-in-one-hex). I still prefer the original TFT-style counters, though if they had an identifier letter/number and a generic body silhouette on back, that'd be even better.

My friends and I played TFT heavily from 1980-1986, and it spoiled all other RPGs for us until we started to want/need more advanced rules, at which point GURPS Man To Man was right on time to stop give us exactly what we needed/wanted at that point.

It seems to me that expert TFT players do eventually run into a few specific issues which can & have been addressed by house rules, which could make a nice Optional rules expansion, and/or just some subtle adjustments for a new version. I'll write up some notes in email in case it's helpful.

If Neil can get the rights to Grail Quest that'd be nice. I actually played it through last year and quite enjoyed it, and yeah it's a classic and a good example of a programmed campaign that can be played solo.

One of my favorite things about TFT is the consistent thread of logic, consequences, and things making sense and being more or less based on how things actually work, and on laying out a situation and then playing out what happens. In The Labyrinth is lovely that way, and if you really study and read it and think about it (which can take several read-throughs) so is Tollenkar's Lair. (It's subtle but importantly different from what most other RPGs seem to assume is going on, in terms of thinking of games as pre-planned stories.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #80
larsdangly

I'm a fan of Heroes and Other Worlds and think the work Brandon did on the monster and spell volumes is pretty remarkable. That said, it has to be pointed out that he chose to change the core rules pretty substantially, and the NPC's in published HoW modules are quite different from those in old TFT materials or newer Dark City adventures. A new stat was added, sort of similar to Health points in GURPS, but only PC's and a few monsters get them; everyone else just as ST. Also, for some reason NPC's tend to get really low stat scores. The end result is that even a starting character in HoW will walk all over most NPC's, whereas the same PC would have his head handed to him by common encounters in TFT. On the other hand, Brandon's ideas for parry rules in a TFT-like game are quite good.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote