Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 12-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #41
guymc

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Steve, that is certainly wonderful news! TFT started my professional career as a game designer in earnest, and I was very lucky to have your work to build on when I took over as Line Editor upon your departure from Metagaming. I’ll be very happy to see that wonderful, pioneering work back in the hands of its creator.

Do you think you will again be doing solitaire quests? Your acquisition does not, as I understand it, include the original Microquests. If you are at all interested, is there anything that I could do to get Grailquest back to the new TFT?

Guy McLimore
Old 12-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #42
trag

That's fantastic!

I just bought a set of A. Wizard, A. Melee and TFT on Ebay with the thought of asking SJ to sign them at his 12/16 appearance here in Austin (BC Mall, IIRC), but logistics got in the way and they arrived too late.

Our gaming group played TFT from 1988 to 1991 in a very long intricate campaign. Then we switched GMs and changed to GURPS.

But when I grow weary of the skills and rules proliferation in GURPS I find TFT to be a pleasant relief.

While TFT is less intricate than GURPS, you can do a lot with it and spend a lot less time looking up rules.

I have another related group of friends who had, until last year, a 28 year tradition of a holiday season "geekathon". It started with all night sessions of Spaceward Ho! on networked Macs back in 1988, later switching to Bungie's "Marathon" but the last several years has been one day-long TFT adventure. So until last year, we were still using TFT.

Suggestions:

1) Keep it the way it is. The simplicity is a virtue that is still attractive.
2) If you want provide card stock maps or similar, perhaps just provide printable files. That will keep printing costs down for the books, and card stock can be bought by players and fed through laser printers or color laser printers. Or does no-one have a printer with a fairly straight paper path any more from the front "envelop feeder" to the rear output?
trag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #43
Don Hawthorne

This is GREAT news, and I offer a heartfelt congratulations!

We STILL play TFT, and still love it!

Most important...

What happens if “Remove Thrown Spell” is cast on a character protected by the “Anti-Magic Shield”? 😄
Old 12-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #44
the1weasel

I cannot express how thrilled I am to see this happen. It has been a personal hope of mine since the 80’s. Wait! Will this devalue my original copies of the game including ITL that Steve signed in August at GenCon?!?!?!?!! Hah! Not to me it won’t!!! Many heartfelt congrats on this accomplishment. https://photos.app.goo.gl/sp03kQAxjJl9UzEA2
the1weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #45
Falstaffe1965

Yay! The Fantasy Trip was one of the first AND best RPGs that I played. Would love to see this back in the public eye, although I would prefer it to remain as is (more or less) and not get to GURPS-level in crunch.
Falstaffe1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #46
Ronald

Congratulations, Steve!

ITL, AM, and AW were my introduction to RPGs sometime around 1981/82.
I still have those copies and am looking forward to getting new ones, as well as my first copies of Melee, Wizard, DT, DT2, and Tollenkar's Lair.

Thank you for your wonderful games!
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #47
efindel

I'd seen a rumor a few weeks ago regarding the filing, and it's great to see it confirmed! I got Advanced Melee around 1986 from a friend who was going into the military, and pored through it. I adopted a lot of the concepts into D&D, but didn't feel I could run a campaign with just it. In 1988, after going to college, I found Wizard and In the Labyrinth at a flea market, and then started a TFT campaign with those three books, which I ran for most of a year.

My first homebrew RPG was essentially a genericized version of TFT. When D&D 3e came out, I immediately recognized the movement rules as essentially bringing the movement rules of AM into D&D.

Years later, after the advent of eBay, I was finally able to get Melee and Advanced Wizard. I've run TFT a few times since then and had a great time every time. I was quite happy to get my compies of AM, AW, and ITL signed by Steve three years ago at GenCon.

Looking forward to seeing whatever releases happen!
efindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #48
martimer

Congratulations.

I spent a lot of time with TFT, I look forward to the future.
martimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #49
Cjannise

I was introduced to The Fantasy Trip at the age of 10. Just as Howard Thompson pulled it into the abyss with his company. It was a terrible conundrum for a 10 year at old boy to love a game that he could no longer get his hands on. D&D just would not cut it. My game master went out of state to attend college and all I could do was to recreate the game from memory. I had my mother help me to convention hop in Houston to try, unsuccessfully, to find an out of print copy. Not an easy task for a poor 10 year old. I have grown up longing for this day. Never thought I would see it. It is my childhood fantasy come true. THANK YOU STEVE
Cjannise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #50
flynnkd

I hope you do something like they have done with RQ2, rewrite it but keep the essential look and feel. This is an awesome quick to play, easy to learn game for new people to rpgs, and sufficiently deep enough for old timers. I am looking forward to what happens. Especially after your persistence...
flynnkd is offline   Reply With Quote