Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
chrismalenurse

Default Midas Potion

Just played my first game of Legends with my son. We have a question. Does Midas potion let you auto defeat the monster(no level/just treasure) or does it just turn it in to a statue(can't chase you to give you bad stuff) that you still have to beat? The wording is just a tad unclear to me......Pretty sure it is instant defeat(without getting level) and that the rest is just referring to multiple monsters(you have to beat them to get the treasure), but I would like to be sure.
chrismalenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
LordArach

Default Re: Midas Potion

I would be tempted to say that if you use it on a single monster in combat, you would win thus getting the treasure but not the Level. However, if there is a wandering monster, undead mob, etc. involved, you still have to beat any monsters left in combat for the win to collect the treasure from the statue and treasures and Level(s) from the others.

Praise "Bob"!
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Mister Ed

I was wondering this same thing. It SEEM obvious that turning a monster to a gold statue would eliminate it from combat, but the card text doesn't say that. The card text makes it seem like all the card does is eliminate the level you would gain IF you beat it, but you still have to beat that monster (which is still just as powerful) in order to get the treasure. I wanted to use it to eliminate a monster from a combat that I couldn't beat, but the text doesn't seem to allow that.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Clipper

It's meant to be removed from the combat. It's just a statue now, so why would you need to fight it? And how could it still do Bad Stuff to you if you fail and so on? It seems to behave exactly the same as Pollymorph Potion from Munchkin. There's not much use to the card if all it does is deny the combat-owner a level.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
It's meant to be removed from the combat. It's just a statue now, so why would you need to fight it? And how could it still do Bad Stuff to you if you fail and so on? It seems to behave exactly the same as Pollymorph Potion from Munchkin. There's not much use to the card if all it does is deny the combat-owner a level.
That makes sense. The wording on the card isn't very clear on that, though. Is that something that should be submitted as errata, do you think?
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
leitner

Is there an official ruling on this card? I was fighting two monsters for the game winning fight and turned one to gold. My fellow players insisted it was still fighting while gold.
leitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

It's a statue. It can't fight you. You still have to kill any remaining monsters to claim any rewards.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
leitner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
It's a statue. It can't fight you. You still have to kill any remaining monsters to claim any rewards.
That's what I figured but people start reading rules really strangely when it is level 9 time.
leitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
edge970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Do you claim a reward if it's the only monster in the fight?
edge970 is offline   Reply With Quote