Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 AM   #31
Rupert

Default Re: Designing new armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Cunnington
200 square centimetres for the perineum? 32 sq. in.? That's hella big. I hesitate to ask how big your groin is....
That's not a lot bigger than the area covered by my hand. The version of the 'rule of 9%' I remember said "groin 1%", and if they really meant the entire pubic region I could be a triangle 20cm long with a 15cm base.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #32
DanHoward

Couple of things I forgot to comment on earlier.

"Studded leather" and "boiled leather" are misnomers.

The only time studs (rivets actually) were ever used on armour was to attach reinforcing metal plates such as in brigandines. The plates are underneathe the foundation so only the rivets are visible on the surface. Adding studs by themselves does nothing to improve the DR of a material unless they are so close together as to be almost touching. "Studded Leather" never existed as an historical armour type. Studded garments were certainly worn. But they were a fashionable way of imitating brigandines without the burden of the metal plates. This is clothing, not armour. I call it "faux brigandine".

Cuirbouilli was never "boiled" it was certainly heat treated either in an oven or in hot water but the water never reaches temperatures anywhere near boiling. Just call it "hardened leather".
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #33
feydras

Gef - i prefer your theoretical approach of supplementing the existing tables in stead of rewriting them but on closer examination of your tables i found some oddities.

Under DR 3/2 you've got 12# boots, 8# pants (groin + legs) but 16# leggings (legs only)! Also, when i compared several of your armors to the book values they differ considerably. I thought you tried to stay close to the books.

Guess i'm still left looking for a table that adds in the missing armor pieces without changing book values. May have to just go with Bruno's excellent work and replace all the official stuff afterall.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #34
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward
"Ring harness" is probably a more literal English translation. Though the term "harness" was adapted from the German "harnasch" anyway (though often reserved for plate armour). Hauberk (haubert) is French.
FWIW the French had a similar term harnois. Don't know from where the common root is derived.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor