Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #21
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Pyramid #3/110: Deep Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
But that is why space is the final frontier - without omniscience, you can spend the rest of forever exploring it. :) :p
Unless if we go far enough we find ourselves back where we started...which could still be the case.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:06 AM   #22
Derrick_rp

I loved Aytheric Space, but have a quick question for the author, or anyone else who knows Ritual Path Magic well.

One of the first ideas I had for this setting was that conventional ships in the null zone should be powered by antimatter created through magic in the ayether ring. What path, or combinations of paths, would you use to make antimatter?
Derrick_rp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:23 AM   #23
Winged Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Yikes! The sample spaceships for the "Expanse" setting use awfully expensive fuel. Or is this intended to be one of those settings where antimatter is cheap?
It is. One of the bits that was cut for space detailed that, and the political implications thereof. (Dyson-swarm-like satellites in close orbit to stars, using the energy to generate antimatter fuel, is part of how the Pact stays in business. Not that they try to stop anyone else from setting up such a factory, just that their economies of scale let them undercut such operations, so few people bother.) I have a full book's worth of material for the Expanse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_rp View Post
One of the first ideas I had for this setting was that conventional ships in the null zone should be powered by antimatter created through magic in the ayether ring. What path, or combinations of paths, would you use to make antimatter?
Path of Matter. Creating fuel is explicitly one of the applications of Create Matter. But remember: like food in a refrigerator, conjured fuel will eventually expire.
Winged Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:50 AM   #24
Derrick_rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Cat View Post
I have a full book's worth of material for the Expanse.
May we see it?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #25
Winged Cat

Quote:
May we see it?
I tried to convince SJG to publish it, but I don't think that's happening.

I've contacted Aethyric Space's authors about possibly combining the Expanse with their setting, since the two seem to mesh well and they have a bunch of extra material as well. I'll see what they say.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #26
Derrick_rp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Cat View Post
I tried to convince SJG to publish it, but I don't think that's happening.
Can you self publish, or does publishing in Pyramid means SJ games owns it? I’d be willing to PayPal you some money right now for access to what you’ve written.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:28 PM   #27
PK

Quote:
Can you self publish, or does publishing in Pyramid means SJ games owns it? I’d be willing to PayPal you some money right now for access to what you’ve written.
Any text that's been published in Pyramid is owned by SJG. The concepts aren't. An author expanding on their own article is really no different from Person A reading Author B's article and being inspired to write some additional stuff for it.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #28
Winged Cat

Quote:
It's a little more complicated than that. Money isn't the issue.

Expanding on PK's comment: the full book has some text (notably the Angler and Super 49er) that is in the Pyramid article; any independent publication would at a minimum revise that text so it's not an exact copy (and probably remove those two ships - though if SJG were to publish it, I could go on about the other Angler variants: in addition to the H-Angler in the article, there's B-Angler/G-Angler/M-Angler versions with spinal-mounted laser/gun/missile mounts respectively, the T-Angler with more arms, the default version being termed D-Angler, and so on). Removing these is feasible, but the Angler is the intended primary PC ship. I may come up with a new one if the Aethyric Expanse setting merger goes ahead.

(Also see Pyramid #3/55: the wormhole ships in that issue were inspired by this setting - a brigade consisting of 3 Overworlds, fully loaded, and a space superiority ship carrying an atmospheric fighter wing is the Pact's idea of a significant military force - and my first attempt to carve off content for Pyramid. I have another such bit, intended for Pyramid's next After the End issue, for which I've sent in a pitch. In short, "After the End: On the Moon".)

I tried sending a PM with more info, but it looks like you have PMs disabled. Send me an email (address here) and I'll follow up, including a copy of the book-length treatment of the Expanse.

Last edited by Winged Cat; 12-31-2017 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Couldn't send PM