Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary traits not removing some equipment?

I'm having an issue with the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary Traits.gdf.

Basically, it's not actually deleting everything it should. For example, some firearms are still there (Blunderbuss, 8G for example), some odd equipment modifiers are still there . . . they're flagged for deletion in the Remove gdf but they don't actually get removed.

Here is the text of the Data Set I use:
files("GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf", "GURPS Magic 4e.gdf", "%sys%\Worldbooks\GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1 - Adventurers.gdf", "%sys%\Worldbooks\GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3 - Next Level.gdf", "%sys%\Worldbooks\GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 4 - Sages.gdf", "%sys%\Worldbooks\GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 5 - Allies.gdf", "%user%\GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 11 - Power-Ups.gdf", "%sys%\worldbooks\GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 12 - Ninja.GDF", "%user%\GURPS LT Weapons for DF.gdf", "%user%\Peter's DF Magic Armor Mods.gdf", "%sys%\worldbooks\GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary Traits.GDF", "%user%\GURPS Dungeon Fantasy - Pyramid 3-60 - Wizardry Redefined.gdf")

The LT Weapons for DF file is custom, but it's just the weapons from Low-Tech. None of the items that should be deleted are added back in there. Same with the magic armor file. And if I take out my custom files, there are still items that sat "Delete" in the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary Traits.gdf that aren't coming out.

I've gone as far as:

- re-running the Data File Update.
- taking out all GDF files except Basic, DF1, and Remove Unnecessary.
- taking out all GDF files except Basic and Remove Unnecessary.

Anyone know what is causing this? It's getting very frustrating having players edit their characters, shop for gear and whatnot, and send me characters with stuff specifically flagged for deletion.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary traits not removing some equipment?

Hi, Peter,

I took one case from your post, "Blunderbuss, 8G", and looked at that.

I am looking at the file from "Description=04/01/2013." but the one from "Description=12/12/2011." appears identical for this case.

In the case of this item, it is not actually being removed because it's not marked for removal under any of the specifications that I can see.

I'm guessing that it's intended to be removed by #DeleteCat EQ, "Firearms - Pistols & SMGs", but the actual category in Basic Set is Basic Set - Firearms - Pistols & SMGs.

I'm gonna guess the Basic Set categories were changed at some point after the Removal file was created, and the Removal file wasn't updated to match.

So, basically, the Removal file needs to be updated with the updated categories. I suspect this may be the issue with the other items you're seeing as well.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Remove Unnecessary traits not removing some equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I'm guessing that it's intended to be removed by #DeleteCat EQ, "Firearms - Pistols & SMGs", but the actual category in Basic Set is Basic Set - Firearms - Pistols & SMGs.
That makes sense. I'll make some changes when I get some spare time today and see if it works. If so, I'll upload a copy of the GDF here so people can check my work.
My S&C Blog
Old 03-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

So I quickly tried changing the deleted category, but it didn't work. After a few iterations I just went and removed the * from the *#DeleteEQ lines for the equipment I don't want around. That worked.

I'll check around for any more obvious errors and then see about how to upload the file to the repository at motoslave.
My S&C Blog
Old 03-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Sorry about the trouble. At least you got something working.

Theoretically we have a data update pending soon*, maybe we can get a fixed file included with that.

Armin

* Eric's pushed for a data update for ages. Roadblock has been me. Hopefully we've cleared that.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
I believe #DeleteCat was only ever intended to removed the category, not the traits within the category. This dated to before GCA cleaned up categories automatically, so if you deleted all the traits in a category you also had to manually delete the category or it would still show up in the drop-down list. So, now, #DeleteCat is basically an obsolete command; the lines of code were never updated because they didn't matter anymore.

To remove the equipment items they must be addressed directly, either by deleting them specifically or using a #DeleteByTag command that catches them (such as those used to delete most of the other higher tech equipment from the lists). I'm guessing that those particular firearms fell through the cracks when I moved from using individual #Delete commands for every piece of equipment to being able to use #DeleteByTag commands to delete most of the equipment by the Tech Level tag, and I just never noticed them for some reason.

I'm guessing that the remaining guns should all be removed. Is there any other anachronistic equipment that needs to be removed?
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 03-01-2016 at 01:44 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Quote:
* Eric's pushed for a data update for ages. Roadblock has been me. Hopefully we've cleared that.
I've already started some more clean-up work on the data files, including fixing this particular issue.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I believe #DeleteCat was only ever intended to removed the category, not the traits within the category. This dated to before GCA cleaned up categories automatically, so if you deleted all the traits in a category you also had to manually delete the category or it would still show up in the drop-down list. So, now, #DeleteCat is basically an obsolete command; the lines of code were never updated because they didn't matter anymore.
Ah! Yes, I think you're right. Thanks. So easy to forget or overlook things when you don't ever work with them.

And, that also explains why changing the cat didn't work for Peter.

Quote:
I've already started some more clean-up work on the data files, including fixing this particular issue.
Thank you.

Armin
Old 03-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
I'm guessing that the remaining guns should all be removed. Is there any other anachronistic equipment that needs to be removed?
It mostly just seems like the guns and their ammo.

The DeleteCat issue might explain why I had trouble knocking off some Alchemy-based techniques for my DF game, too.
My S&C Blog
Old 03-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
The DeleteCat issue might explain why I had trouble knocking off some Alchemy-based techniques for my DF game, too.
Note that you can use the #DeleteByTag command to delete traits by category (or any other tag), it's just not DeleteCat.

#DeleteByTag Skills, Text IgnoreEmpty, cat = Alchemy
Kaboom-baya.