Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #21
Apache
On Notice

Default Re: [Star Trek] Klingon Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Regarding their lifespans, I'm going with what I believe to be cannon--not Prime Directive.
PD got it from FASATrek....specifically, the FASA Klingons module, co-written by John M. Ford.....and written to be completely compatible with his then-canon book, The Final Reflection.

So it is simply which version of 'canon' you want to use.

FASA Romulans was pretty awesome too, come to think of it. Much better than the crap you saw later in TNG...
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #22
Faolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I do.

In the second season TOS episode Journey to Babel it is said that Spock's father, Sarek was 102 standard years and it was unusual that he had retired in what was early middle age for a Vulcan.

In the fourth season of Next Generation when Sarek appeared looking quite venerable. he was said to be 204 years old.

Thus I take it that there are roughly 100 years from the 1st season of TOS to the first season of TNG.

The three senior citizen Klingons in DS9 were explictly named as Kang, Kor and Koloth and were definitely the same characters who appeared in TOS.

Extended Lifespan x2 plus Longevity are about right for Vulcans with just the EL2 for Klingons.

McCoy would have been over 140 during his brief appearance on the first EP of TNG but he appeared far less physically fit than any of the Klingons and it could be explained by Longevity (natural or artificallly granted) plus excellant medical care.
Also, in "Trials and Tribble-ations," the klingon spy from the TOS Tribbles ep was still alive and didn't look *that* old; now, that could just be the augments, or it could be klingons as a whole.
Faolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #23
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

I just now found this thread.

You guys have perked my attention.

Unfortunately, I am at work for the next three hours , then I have an all day get together with my old GURPS group that might go to midnight.

As to "FASA" version of Klingons? - pretty much non-canon and out of date now.

For new players its much better to go with the version of things that they are most familiar with - that means the televised/on available DVDs/ recent movie versions of the STAR TREK universe.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html

Last edited by Qoltar; 08-11-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #24
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

...and again I re-discover this thread.
Whats it been six to seven months?

In my current campaign the crew of the Cochise have been 'loaned' 18 Klingon Warriors to help out the ranks of their MACOs and Security forces.
Those templates will help quite a bit.

By-the-way, anyone have a suggestion for a negative reaction roll number for Klingons when they meet or bump into an average Federation citizen?

Keep in mind, my campaign is set right before the classic show era and about 11 months after the events of the 2009 movie.

- Ed C.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #25
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
...suggestion for a negative reaction roll number for Klingons when they meet or bump into an average Federation citizen?
How about a -3 and call it [-10 pts] Intolerance (nonWarriors)? You think this is ubiquitous enough to add it to the Klingon Warrior Lens?
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
How about a -3 and call it [-10 pts] Intolerance (nonWarriors)? You think this is ubiquitous enough to add it to the Klingon Warrior Lens?
Really not sure.

Your template is the closest I've seen to a mostly canon Klingon template - and thats the kind of game that I'm running - 'mostly canon' - but up to a point.

That point is the year 2258 -the year the recent was set. After that point in the timeline everything is now a CLEAN SLATE in the timeline.

In many ways its very liberating to run Star Trek this way.

- Ed C.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #27
Proteus

So, Captain, does this mean you're going to start asking your "voice acting" cast to deliver lines in Klingonese?

(The Captain and I used to play in the same face-to-face group before he moved a few thousand miles away... but he occasionally gets the old gang to cobble together log entries for his new players, by recording and emailing sound files.)

-- Proteus, of former Virgilius fame
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #28
Captain Joy

Quote:
Quote:
Really not sure.
Name me one Klingon warrior that didn't look down on any non Warrior of any race and didn't consider the warrior calling the very flower of Klingon existence.

Quote:
Your template is the closest I've seen to a mostly canon Klingon template - and thats the kind of game that I'm running - 'mostly canon' - but up to a point.
I made it by reading the Memory Alpha entry and GURPSifying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
So, Captain, does this mean you're going to start asking your "voice acting" cast to deliver lines in Klingonese?
Would you if I asked?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
(The Captain and I used to play in the same face-to-face group before he moved a few thousand miles away... but he occasionally gets the old gang to cobble together log entries for his new players, by recording and emailing sound files.)
And, I must say, they are awesome. Current adventure designers should really consider adding audio and/or multimedia "hand-outs" as a matter of course.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #29
jason taylor

Quote:
Name me one Klingon warrior that didn't look down on any non Warrior of any race and didn't consider the warrior calling the very flower of Klingon existence.
Worf didn't look down on every single non warrior of any race. He did however consider the warrior calling the very flower of Klingon existence.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #30
borithan

Worf if a very special case, and truthfully I wouldn't consider him a Klingon Warrior. He is a Starfleet officer who considers himself a Klingon Warrior (and has a very idealised view of what that is). Many Klingons viewed him as an outsider. Much of his Code of Honour and respect of a broader class of people comes from his human upbringing and Starfleet training, rather than his Klingon heritage.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
klingon, racial template, racial templates, star trek