Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #21
Anders

Default Re: Useful Abilities [Powers]

That's not how I read the rules. I agree that Signature Gear should not be created like that - it steps on Snatcher too much.

I do think that Modular Abilities should be able to give Social Advantages, but I think they should be specialized for that. Like this (Social Networking).
Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #22
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I do think that Modular Abilities should be able to give Social Advantages, but I think they should be specialized for that. Like this (Social Networking).
I'll also note that this appeared in GURPS Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1 because it was SO GOOD. I've been using it in my games for years. Perfect really and even better if you're using the rules for Social Engineering: Keeping in Contact.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #23
AlexanderHowl

Another useful ability would be Universal Charm

Universal Charm: Visualization (Blessing, +100%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [25]. By visualizing for a minute, you can give yourself or another entity within sight a bonus equal to your margin of success on an IQ+10 roll to a specific roll. Halve the bonus (rounded up) if the circumstances are not aligned with your visualization (minor details are different) and divide the bonus by three (rounded down) if the circumstances are significantly different than your visualization (major details are different).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #24
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Fair enough, your game, your rules. It is, however, a legal build by RAW.
Not really. It's a combination that a) wouldn't normally be allowed and b) doesn't make sense in relation to the advantage. Signature Gear is a social trait that expressly allows you to have gear that if it is both uniquely yours and will be protected from incidental adversity (plot protection). You're trying to have an allied transforming gadget without paying for the advantages of what it can become.

Furthermore, even it it was allowed, it would only allow you to acquire and plot protect equipment that you develop a bond with. It still wouldn't be "conjured" since signature gear has a backstory as to where it came from and how it relates to you.

Saying it's RAW is saying "GM says what goes, so if he allows Warp as a perk, it's RAW".

Last edited by naloth; 09-12-2019 at 01:04 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #25
naloth

Quote:
Another useful ability would be Universal Charm

Universal Charm: Visualization (Blessing, +100%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [25]. By visualizing for a minute, you can give yourself or another entity within sight a bonus equal to your margin of success on an IQ+10 roll to a specific roll. Halve the bonus (rounded up) if the circumstances are not aligned with your visualization (minor details are different) and divide the bonus by three (rounded down) if the circumstances are significantly different than your visualization (major details are different).
You could apply the bonus to a skill to generate a reaction bonus, but it shouldn't directly apply to a reaction check. Reaction checks aren't made by the character and aren't affected by skill modifiers.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #26
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
You could apply the bonus to a skill to generate a reaction bonus, but it shouldn't directly apply to a reaction check. Reaction checks aren't made by the character and aren't affected by skill modifiers.
I think the word "charm" is meant in the general "good fortune" sense, not the one which involves reactions.
I had a character (Nike) with an improved version of this (reduced time, multiple targets). She would choose victors. Any contest tended to go the way she said it would. It was kind of OP, but we were mythic beings.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #27
AlexanderHowl

Hm, I am not sure if you can technically use Visualization on multiple targets without multiple purchases linked together.

Anyway, here is another utility power:

Animal Companion: Modular Abilities 10 (Cosmic Powers; Social, +0%; Focus-Limited, Animals, -10%; Takes Extra Time, 4×, -20%; Trait-Limited, Only Allies with Minion and Summonable, -50%) [20]
Old 09-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #28
naloth

Quote:
Hm, I am not sure if you can technically use Visualization on multiple targets without multiple purchases linked together.
Adding up to +10 to the skill in a close contest would usually be enough to decide the winner, so I can see where you would only be using it on who you want to win.

Quote:
Anyway, here is another utility power:

Animal Companion: Modular Abilities 10 (Cosmic Powers; Social, +0%; Focus-Limited, Animals, -10%; Takes Extra Time, 4×, -20%; Trait-Limited, Only Allies with Minion and Summonable, -50%) [20]
The focus is probably worth more and the "only allies with minion" is perhaps worth -10%. Animals are limited in what they can reasonably do. Minions can be anything, so that's not really limiting. Summonable adds to the cost but it also gives you the ability to produce them on demand.

In either case, Modular Abilities shouldn't allow you to game the "per day" limitation of Ally. You should get an ally per day if you manage your appearance roll. After use, it would need to "recharge".
Old 09-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #29
AlexanderHowl

No, Allies with Minion and Summonable is -50%, it says so in Powers, p. 64.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #30
naloth

Quote:
No, Allies with Minion and Summonable is -50%, it says so in Powers, p. 64.
So it does. Seems overly broad considering what an Ally can be relative just a crushing innate attack.