Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2019, 06:35 AM   #1
Ottriman

Default What would the stats for this silly weapon be?

Hey everyone, I ran into a video of a very strange looking (and amusing) shotgun concept. The video is very short and is found on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzuqS1D2Lc

I am fine both with realistic/semi-realistic stats based on how well it would actually work and highly cinematic or silly stats that sound appropriate. Just specify which it is you're talking about in your reply.

I'd love to see what you folk can come up with.

Cheers.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: What would the stats for this silly weapon be?

Well, that's a challenge...

Realistically, I think either the barrel will explode from the size of the powder charge or you will just have lots of shot come out at nerf-gun speed.

Your shotgun barrel is at least 18 inches long. 3 inches is a decent average length for your typical 12-gauge shell. So if you wanted to embrace the ridiculousness, just multiply the ROF second number on the shotgun by 6, for ROF 54, and a +6 to hit. It keeps recoil 1, and does either 1d or 1d+1 per hit with the default buckshot.

I am not sure how to stat the kick on the gun, but it should be equally ridiculous.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
Black Leviathan

The problem with the idea is that shotgun shells and other amalgam ammunition works by virtue of proportion of explosive and ejecta. You could scale a shotgun shell up larger or smaller but lengthening the shell means your projectiles would knock against one another more in the barrel, reducing velocity and increasing the chance of a barrel obstruction. Like @ericthered said the ROF would scale up proportionately with the shell. However, I'd argue that either your full damage range would decrease a little from the increased amount of ejecta in the shot, your recoil would increase from the larger powder charge of the shell, or both.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

A few more notes about the project:

Barrel length effects projectile speeds, even in shotguns. Because you have a shell taking up much of the length of the barrel, the stuff at the front has much less time to accelerate than the stuff in the back. This probably decreases over all damage, even before you consider that this might increase knocking (with faster projectiles hitting slower ones from behind).

Recoil as a gurps stat refers to the tightness of a pattern of shots. In many sequentially firing guns, this stat and the guns actual recoil are correlated. In this gun, they are not. The recoil statistic is 1, while the actual recoil would be enough that I want to make the gun deal 1d-3 cr dbl knock back to its wielder or something like that.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
Ottriman

If we assume 6 times the power and shots fired as before, the recoil could make the minST shoot up enough so that BL is x6 what it was before. That would mean that the normal person using it would tkae a large penalty to skill and probably critically fail often.

That could model it decently, that and reduced malf.

Now one wonders how much damage shotgun pellets would actually do at nerf gun speeds? Not sure on that.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
khorboth

That's clearly a single-use barrel-shrinker. It's a barrel & shell integrated to allow all the disadvantages of both 12-guage and 20-guage shotguns simultaniously. The pre-loaded 20-gauge setup which fits into a 12-guage shotgun. It fires like the 20-guage in terms of damage and recoil, but like the 12-guage in terms of accuracy.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
Anthony

Well, there's nothing in that video indicating the actual amount of powder in the case (and it's really not going to work right if there's a lot), so this can be viewed as being a disposable barrel lining. Enough powder to actually fill that case will probably cause the barrel to explode, and if it doesn't, will result in most of the powder being shoved out of the barrel before it explodes, resulting in a large fireball in front of the gun.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
will result in most of the powder being shoved out of the barrel before it explodes, resulting in a large fireball in front of the gun.
Now there's an idea. make a Dragon Breath shell for that, You can light up a whole army of vampires with one shot.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Now there's an idea. make a Dragon Breath shell for that, You can light up a whole army of vampires with one shot.
Eh, if you aren't interested in the blast effects you might as well just use a roman candle (this is a problem with ordinary dragon's breath rounds as well).