Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Icelander

Default [Loadout] Delta Operator on an intelligence op

I'm starting a game where three PCs will be taking on the role of military police or intelligence experts ostensibly working as contractors in the private sector in the Dhi Qar province of Iraq in 2011.*

The PCs receive office space in an Iraqi Police Service building, some form of furnished apartment / house that makes sense for contractors who live there for 4-8 weeks and two cars, a Toyota Hilux 2004 and a newish SUV of some sort bought from a security contractor. Also, ToughBook laptops, sat phones and cell phones.

The rest of their gear they buy themselves, with a budget of $20,000 per person.

One player, portraying a Delta operator, asked if he could manage to creatively acquire his kit from the intelligence operations he was working on before this. He's an Arab-American and was working undercover for Delta in locations where any Westerner would be too conspicious.

I imagine he was using a bike of some sort and wearing local clothing, with a covert tactical radio and maybe some concealable sensors or surveillance gear. He would have a satchel of I-Hope-I-Don't-Need-This stuff that he could carry around on the bike, in case he got identified as hostile and had to bug out to an extraction point while pursued by a horde of distinctly unfriendly locals.

Does anyone have a good idea what might be found in such a Bug-Out Kit?

Edit: Here's an idea for his loadout.

He's also got access to some more goodies at his home base.

If anyone has specific knowledge of modern (well, end of 2011) laser mikes and shotgun mikes that are no more than 0.5 lbs. and can be easily concealed, while still being good enough to use for surveillance, please advise. Also, anyone familiar with ultra-compact binoculars, by all means tell me what brands are good and what modifiers to Perception and Observation, as well as other stats, the smallest binoculars ought to give.

*But really funded and empowered by the soon-to-be-leaving United States Forces - Iraq command, in order to investigate strange coincidences surrounding a series of local corruption investigations, in that witnesses and suspects keep committing suicide, dying in accidents, getting murdered in random acts of violence or disappearing. A lot of people are starting to suspect that someone is fiddling with the records. Either someone in the local police is killing them to cover up corruption and reporting it falsely or someone is changing an awful lot of police reports.

Last edited by Icelander; 09-06-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Loadout] Delta Operator on an intelligence op

Motorcycles are uncommon in Iraq. Scooters are much more prevalent but mostly people drive cars, bongo trucks, and pickups.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Motorcycles are uncommon in Iraq. Scooters are much more prevalent.
Ah.

I meant the bicycle kind of bike. Are those uncommon?

The PC in question is slight and can pass for late teens / early twenties despite actually being 28. I imagined he'd try to pass as a teen without the means for any sort of mechanised transport.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Ah.

I meant the bicycle kind of bike. Are those uncommon?
I don't recall a single bicycle. Traffic is crazy (like people driving on the wrong side of the freeway crazy) it always was at least 90 degrees out (even at night it was over 70) in the summer and there is a lot of crime and violence.

On the other hand I did see the occasional donkey.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't recall a single bicycle. Traffic is crazy (like people driving on the wrong side of the freeway crazy) it always was at least 90 degrees out (even at night it was over 70) in the summer and there is a lot of crime and violence.

On the other hand I did see the occasional donkey.
Up until the last part it sounded like DC. :)

So he's better off with a scooter. That uses Driving (Motorcycle) skill in GURPS, right?
Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Actually, now that I think about it, I remember one bicycle. Some old dude got ran over on a dirt road in a neighborhood while riding his bike. The body was left there for days...
Old 08-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Icelander

What small and concealable bits of surveillance gear would be worthwhile enough to burden yourself with and risk ruining your local disguise?

NVGs? What kind would Delta use?

Binoculars?

How small and high-tech are cell phone interceptors that are available to Delta these days?

Can something that fits in a fairly unremarkable tablet exterior actually be a sophisticated surveillance tool worth carrying around?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

If he's driving a scooter, it might be possible to make a small hidden compartment in it, for some of his bug-out-kit.

Could he have some kind of machine pistol or PDW-like thingie in his satchel? Even if he could, would he want to?

A smoke grenade or two might be useful in the right kind of situation.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

You do realize that I was USMC Infantry and about as far from Delta force budgets as you can get and still be in NATO, right?

Even if I saw SOCOM guys in Iraq, I couldn't tell you anything about them, legally anyway.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The AN/PVS-14 was pretty ubiquitous in US service at that time, but I think SO guys had better stuff, at least according to what I have read in public sources.

Tags
equipment, high-tech, loadouts, modern firepower, special ops