Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Muse23PT
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portugal
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bampop View Post
Some cards (whether Curses, or Bad Stuff) say "Lose the [Headgear, Footgear, etc.] You Are Wearing." Others do not specify. In those cases, you'd lose all carried Items that fit the description.
Thank you :)
__________________
Own:
Munchkin Zombies + Zombies 2 + Zombie Meat Lockers
Munchkin Deluxe
Munchkin Legends
Muse23PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bampop View Post
Actually, you can sell from your hand. However, trading with another player is an example of something that must be done from cards in play.
sorry, my bad. You are right. I was actually thinking trading in my head when I typed that :-)
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by patlhunter View Post
Thanks everyone that is very helpful.

So in a nutshell ...

Items are something you are wearing.
The correct game term for Items you have in play is carried. All of your Items in play are carried. Some of Items you are carrying may be Items that you are using (i.e., getting a bonus and/or special ability from). Terms like equipped and worn can also be used to refer to the Items that you are using, so I'd avoid saying that all Items are "worn."
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
tremorlaine
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
A related question you may have is: "Why would I deliberately have cards sideways if I know I can't use them?"

The simple answer is cards that are in your hand are not in play. There are things that you can do only with "in play" cards (e.g. trading cards).
The main reason I put down some items I can't use like Elf only and I'm not an Elf are to provide a safety zone for Curses like Lose 1 Small Item. After losing a significant part of my equipment from those I learned to put a couple down just for protection.
__________________
Current wins via Divine Intervention - 3

Future site of Griffon Gaming
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #15
Muse23PT
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portugal
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorlaine View Post
The main reason I put down some items I can't use like Elf only and I'm not an Elf are to provide a safety zone for Curses like Lose 1 Small Item. After losing a significant part of my equipment from those I learned to put a couple down just for protection.
In these cases you get to choose what item to lose? I always assumed you would choose from the ones you have in use...

So if you have let's say 3 small items in use and 1 more carried (on the table but that for some reason you are not using) and a curse to lose one small item is cast on me I can choose the small item I'm not using or do I always have to choose from the small items I'm using?

And if I'm not using any small items but have 1 carried that I can use? Do I lose that one in this case?

Thanks
__________________
Own:
Munchkin Zombies + Zombies 2 + Zombie Meat Lockers
Munchkin Deluxe
Munchkin Legends
Muse23PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

Unless a Curse specifies how an Item is to be chosen, the victim of the curse gets to choose. If a Curse were to say, "Lose 1 Small Item," then it doesn't matter which of the Items you are carrying you choose to discard for the purposes of the Curse, used or unused. Now, if the curse says, "Lose the Footgear you are wearing," well, then it must be Footgear you are using, while a Curse that says "Lose your Footgear" takes all the Footgear you have in play. If the curse says, "The player to your right chooses one of your Items and discards it," then that player gets to choose from all of the Items you have in play, regardless of size, or whether you are using it or not, and discard it.
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
Muse23PT
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portugal
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

Thank you :)
__________________
Own:
Munchkin Zombies + Zombies 2 + Zombie Meat Lockers
Munchkin Deluxe
Munchkin Legends
Muse23PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
anthooony
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

I actually have a question for this topic:

One-shot items are potions and other spells, but if they are not in your hand, does that mean you can still use them during a combat? In the Rules, it states "You may NOT change your used and carried items during a combat or while running away."

Does that mean that I can only play Monsters/One-Shot Items/etc that are in my hand and not "carried" (turned sideways/not in my hand) during combat?

Hope my question makes sense. Sorry in advanced.
anthooony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
Mister Ed
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthooony View Post
I actually have a question for this topic:

One-shot items are potions and other spells, but if they are not in your hand, does that mean you can still use them during a combat? In the Rules, it states "You may NOT change your used and carried items during a combat or while running away."

Does that mean that I can only play Monsters/One-Shot Items/etc that are in my hand and not "carried" (turned sideways/not in my hand) during combat?

Hope my question makes sense. Sorry in advanced.
Well, Monsters aren't Items, so they can only be in your hand before you play them (and can only be played to Look For Trouble, or into existing Combats if allowed by the text on a card).

One-shot Items that you are carrying may be used in a combat. They don't really have to be turned sideways (in fact they probably aren't SUPPOSED to be) when played to the table, though many people do (myself included) just as a reminder that they are not going into effect right then. They are always "used" in the sense of being ready to hand, since they don't take up any slot that might be used by something else.

(I think there might be some that are Race restricted, in which case they probably WOULD have to be turned sideways if you were not currently that Race. Which might mean that those particular ones wouldn't be available if you changed to that Race in the middle of a combat. Not sure about that.)
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
anthooony
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Well, Monsters aren't Items, so they can only be in your hand before you play them (and can only be played to Look For Trouble, or into existing Combats if allowed by the text on a card).

One-shot Items that you are carrying may be used in a combat. They don't really have to be turned sideways (in fact they probably aren't SUPPOSED to be) when played to the table, though many people do (myself included) just as a reminder that they are not going into effect right then. They are always "used" in the sense of being ready to hand, since they don't take up any slot that might be used by something else.

(I think there might be some that are Race restricted, in which case they probably WOULD have to be turned sideways if you were not currently that Race. Which might mean that those particular ones wouldn't be available if you changed to that Race in the middle of a combat. Not sure about that.)

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification Mister Ed!
anthooony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
curse, sideway items

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.