Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Can psis "reprocess" mana?

I was thinking about the differences between psionics and magic. Psionics has psychic energy which is generated from the physical mind which gives the ability to perform powers. Magic instead channels mana to perfom supernatural feats. But both psi and magic would be a form of energy at the ultimate level. Maybe at ther most fundemental level psi and and mana can be interconvertable? This would give mentalists a reason to collect magic items because they might be able to access the energy from said item to power their psionic powers? Or to be able to gate in Elder Things?

This is just a random though because I was thinking why a cult that worships Elder Things would have a stockpile of magic items in their lair. Or on the other extreme why a lich migh have aquired some psionic items. If there was some way that mana and psychic enrgy could be interconverted then their might be some reason as to why their are both kinds of items in a particular dungeon.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: [DF] Can psis "reprocess" mana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
This is just a random though because I was thinking why a cult that worships Elder Things would have a stockpile of magic items in their lair.
Why not? Magic items are handy, and there's nothing keeping a member of such a cult from having magic aptitude.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Why not? Magic items are handy, and there's nothing keeping a member of such a cult from having magic aptitude.

Maybe a wizard that read a book about the true nature of reality?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Quote:
Maybe a wizard that read a book about the true nature of reality?
Sorry, b-dog, I don't know what you're saying. Are you saying that a wizard that read a book on the true nature of reality cannot have magic aptitude?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Jerander

Quote:
I was thinking about the differences between psionics and magic. Psionics has psychic energy which is generated from the physical mind which gives the ability to perform powers. Magic instead channels mana to perfom supernatural feats. But both psi and magic would be a form of energy at the ultimate level. Maybe at ther most fundemental level psi and and mana can be interconvertable? This would give mentalists a reason to collect magic items because they might be able to access the energy from said item to power their psionic powers? Or to be able to gate in Elder Things?
One way to "drain" the magic from an enchanted item to convert the energy to psi power would be Affliction (Accessibility, "Only on enchanted items," -x%; Advantage, Mana Damper, +x%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +300%) + ER (Psi) (Special Recharge, Only by draining magic from enchanted items, -x%).

Quote:
This is just a random though because I was thinking why a cult that worships Elder Things would have a stockpile of magic items in their lair. Or on the other extreme why a lich migh have aquired some psionic items. If there was some way that mana and psychic enrgy could be interconverted then their might be some reason as to why their are both kinds of items in a particular dungeon.
If I were a cult that worships Elder Things, I would stockpile magic items because they are useful. If I were a lich, I would acquire psionic items if they are useful.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

<Idly wondering if I should dig up those old Manakinesis proposals and hash them into a Psionic Powers write-up>
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
<Idly wondering if I should dig up those old Manakinesis proposals and hash them into a Psionic Powers write-up>
I vote for "yes, do."
Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Default [OT] Manakinesis

I dug up the old posts <bless 'em for maintaining the Archives!>... some of 'em are kinda goofy looking now. I'll see if I can clean up a few of the skills and turn them into abilities. It probably won't happen for a few days, and I should put them in a new thread when I get something ready.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
Edman

Yes, I see no reason why Psi couldn't have a branch that deals with magical items - a use magic device powered by psychic energy. Also, magic (both arcane and divine if there is a divide) should likewise be able to manipulate psi items. Seeing as both can do strange things to just about everything else, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to interact with eachother in a plot-relevant way?

- Baron von Münchausen
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Yes, I see no reason why Psi couldn't have a branch that deals with magical items - a use magic device powered by psychic energy. Also, magic (both arcane and divine if there is a divide) should likewise be able to manipulate psi items. Seeing as both can do strange things to just about everything else, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to interact with eachother in a plot-relevant way?
So you could have a "psi school", and give psis a "thaumakinesis" power. Why not? The spells would have to be written up, but aren't crazy. ThK could be built using Psionic Powers.

My default assumption is that mana and psionic energy are unrelated. Both intersect in the practitioner's Fatigue. If you use Energy Reserve, magical ER and psionic ER are two different things that cannot affect one another. I do this not because I'm opposed to them interacting (in some worlds, psi might be a branch of magic), but because the bookkeeping of the interactions adds needless complexity. Advantages like Mental Shield specifically work on both, but MS is also a defense, which limits how you can use it.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote