Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
majikfreak

Default When In Combat Question...

When you are in combat and you can beat the monster, when some one pumps the monster, then you de-pump the monster, then they re-pump the monster... ect...ect... how long can this go on? playing cards in combat? is there a timing thing?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: When In Combat Question...

It goes on until everyone agrees they're done.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
majikfreak

thank you! we are playing right now and had a slight conflict... ty again...
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
d-vils_wingman

I have noticed in the rules that come with the few Munchkin games I have that other players do have a time limit. To quote from the rules in my copy of Munchkin Bites!: "But note: someone may play a hostile card on you, or use a special power, just as you think you have won. When you kill a monster, you must wait a reasonable time, defined as about 2.6 seconds, for anyone else to speak up". So, by the rules of this edition, there is a time limit. On that note, I'd like to take this chance (my first posting) to ask if there will be a special Munchkin timer item, or if there is one, like a 2.6-second-hourglass or a buzzer that goes off after 2.6 seconds if nobody clicks it as they play a card. What is generally used to this end during tournaments?
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

At the risk of being slapped down by Andrew or Erik, I'm going to point out that the "reasonable time" of "2.6" seconds is probably a joke (just like the "argue over the meaning of this sentence" verbiage). Obviously "2.6" is a) a ridiculously precise number and b) not generally a reasonable amount of time for most people (especially if they are learning to play the game). I find that everyone has a lot more fun when a "reasonable time" is defined as "when everybody says they are done interfering in the combat, and the player(s) involved have either won or picked up the dice to run away".
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

I can't count the number of times that Andrew or I have pointed out that 2.6 seconds is a joke, and not a reasonable amount of time. The point is that you need to give people a chance to stop you, not to say, "Hey, I'm winning," wait 2.6 seconds and then declare victory. It's about saying, "Hey, I'm winning. Does anyone plan to stop me?" wait a bit, then say, "No?" wait a bit, then declare victory. It's about fair play, and that means giving people time to work out what cards they have, and what they can do. It might require the other players to confer across the table, which will definitely take more than 10 seconds, let alone 2.6, and you have to let them do that.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
aeronaut

What we've taken to doing in our games is to say "OK. I'm at 17, and the monster is at 12, so I'm winning. I'm going to kill it now (pause.) Going once (tap table, pause.) Going twice (tap table, pause.) And it's dead (tap table.) If anyone says "hold on," "wait," or anything like that, the count stops, and that player (and everyone else) has an opportunity to interfere, bargain, trade, etc. After they are satisfied, the count starts again, unless I'm now losing, in which case I (or anyone) can do something, or I declare that I'm running away.

My feeling is that the MINIMUM time the countdown has to last is 2.6 seconds, more reasonable that each stage is 2.6 seconds, unless it's obvious that no one wants to interfere.

And yes, the 2.6 seconds is definitely a joke, per our esteemed munchkin czar. I suspect the authors regret putting it in the rules, given the amount of trouble it has caused.

Regards,
aeronaut
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
majikfreak

I have a new formula for timing in my games. I announce that I'm killing this monster with ease... and then I count down from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and it's dead! Most of the time we don't have an issue unless it's the game winning kill... then I make sure to announce it's the game winning kill... and do the same...

Most of the time I try to stay right at level 7 with enough items to sell and get my level 9 before I kick down the door... I just wait for everyone to play all their pump on other people before my make my move... My group knows this too, and it still works for me...
Old 01-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
It might require the other players to confer across the table, which will definitely take more than 10 seconds, let alone 2.6, and you have to let them do that.
Interesting. I never do this, I suppose I simply assumed that table talk isn't legal, and that you must communicate with cards.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
snarky

We're implementing new rules in our group because of one person, who always takes FOREVER to decide whether to do something. I like the "I'm winning...tap tap tap...still winning...tap tap tap...WON" idea.

We're hoping the addition of Kill-o-Meters will help a bit, so we're not constantly re-adding our combat strength and such...it will at least solve the "How strong are you? You? You?" questions before combat.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, kill-o-meter