Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Drakyrias

Default 3rd edition and fractions

I've read somewhere on the forums that there is a specific standard to dealing with fractions both in character stat values and point values. But I've never actually read one. Can someone point it out?
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
hal

Default Re: 3rd edition and fractions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
I've read somewhere on the forums that there is a specific standard to dealing with fractions both in character stat values and point values. But I've never actually read one. Can someone point it out?
Not certain what you mean with this question. Can you be a touch more specific? To the best of my knowledge, we don't have fractional Stats, and if there are instances where you multiply an integer by a decimal value, rounding up or down might be involved, but we don't have fractional values in that sense.

Then we have instances where we might have a calculation that has extra decimals for damage dice or damage dice plus adds, where the remainder (the decimal portion) gets converted to maybe +1, +2, or 1d-1, or +1d (one die) etc.

So, this isn't to be a pain - but a desire to help with your question.

:)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
Phantasm

Third edition had half-point levels for skills, but that's about it. That was also one step below the skill level for a single point in the skill.

The nomenclature I used for it was "[0.5]": Skill Name (Specialization) (M/E*) [0.5] - skill_level.

That's about the only time we used fractional points, as even after modifiers became a thing for advantages and disads in 3e we rounded the costs.

*Using Mental/Easy as an example. We had Mental/Easy, Mental/Average, Mental/Hard, Mental/Very Hard, Physical/Easy, Physical/Average, and Physical/Hard, and IIRC there was different pricing between Mental and Physical, and also between Very Hard and everything else. All of them had ratings for half point values, even for spells. The only character I ever put a half-point in a skill had it in Driving (Automobile).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
Colarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
*Using Mental/Easy as an example. We had Mental/Easy, Mental/Average, Mental/Hard, Mental/Very Hard, Physical/Easy, Physical/Average, and Physical/Hard, and IIRC there was different pricing between Mental and Physical, and also between Very Hard and everything else. All of them had ratings for half point values, even for spells. The only character I ever put a half-point in a skill had it in Driving (Automobile).
I seem to remember putting a half point in a lot of mental skills. Because Eidetic Memory gave a huge boost to mental skills to such an extent that all my characters had Eidetic Memory.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Half a character point is half a character point in 3rd edition. You don't round it up or do anything it with it. If you have a point and you spend half a point then you'll have half a point left. . For your basic Speed score once again half a point is half a point. You are faster at 6.5 than you are at 6 but your Move score is always rounded down from your Speed. As for your active defenses if you look at Dai Blackthorn you can see that his Active Defenses are also rounded down.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
Drakyrias

Speed and Move would be the most salient statistic I can think of that requires a rounding, but an image in the book seems to imply that 'round off' means round down.

My more pressing question is for character points though, which if you are dealing with enhancements or limitations which extend beyond half point concerns.

Really I was wondering if there's an actual pg reference that says where to deal with .3 or .7 of a pt or other such concerns.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Speed and Move would be the most salient statistic I can think of that requires a rounding, but an image in the book seems to imply that 'round off' means round down.

My more pressing question is for character points though, which if you are dealing with enhancements or limitations which extend beyond half point concerns.

Really I was wondering if there's an actual pg reference that says where to deal with .3 or .7 of a pt or other such concerns.
Such things aren't possible in 3rd edition as I recall.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
MrTim

You can get fractional point costs with Enhancements and Limitations. As in 4th edition, you round up. This is mentioned somewhat ambiguously (it could be read as only applying to Enhancements) on page 108 of Compendium I.
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTim View Post
You can get fractional point costs with Enhancements and Limitations. As in 4th edition, you round up. This is mentioned somewhat ambiguously (it could be read as only applying to Enhancements) on page 108 of Compendium I.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Move also says round off which mathematically means round up or down, but in the Basic book, a picture of a sample character development seems to imply it always means round down.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Wasn't there something about rounding towards the beginning of the Basic Set (just as there is in 4e) ISTR reading this.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition