Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Onkl

Default Two explosive fireballs, dodge and drop... and then?

Hi guys

I'm very sorry to ask this question as I am sure it has already been answered but my search-fu is weak and I did not find an answer to the question I have.

Let's assume there is a battle going on, on one side there are two shamen, on the other there are 2 warriors, running towards the shamen.

Both of the shamen load up and fire an explosive fireball right between the two warriors on the ground. There is no cover what so ever.

After the first Fireball hits, both warriors would probably dodge and drop, but what will they do after the second fireball hits? I thought you always had the chance to an active defense as long as you are concious and see the attack coming. But on B414 it says that you can try a dodge and drop... and not a word about a "normal" dodge.
So would they just roll at -3 (for lying on the ground - plus any additional applicable modifiers) against dodge?
Or would they not have any defense against the second explosive fireball/grenade/generic explosion?

Thanks!

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Dinadon

Default Re: Two explosive fireballs, dodge and drop... and then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Hi guys

I'm very sorry to ask this question as I am sure it has already been answered but my search-fu is weak and I did not find an answer to the question I have.

Let's assume there is a battle going on, on one side there are two shamen, on the other there are 2 warriors, running towards the shamen.

Both of the shamen load up and fire an explosive fireball right between the two warriors on the ground. There is no cover what so ever.

After the first Fireball hits, both warriors would probably dodge and drop, but what will they do after the second fireball hits? I thought you always had the chance to an active defense as long as you are concious and see the attack coming. But on B414 it says that you can try a dodge and drop... and not a word about a "normal" dodge.
So would they just roll at -3 (for lying on the ground - plus any additional applicable modifiers) against dodge?
Or would they not have any defense against the second explosive fireball/grenade/generic explosion?

Thanks!

Onkl
Err, dodge and drop is a form of dodge. That's why you get a modifier to your dodge roll. See pg.B377, the page it references. So yes, they can try to dodge.

However, as it's an area effect (an explosion in this case) you can only avoid damage by not being in the area affected. Since they've already done a dodge and drop (well, they should have a done a dive for cover the first time as that will get you a step further away from the blast's epicentre) they can't move any further, so it's moot as they will take damage regardless.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Err, dodge and drop is a form of dodge. That's why you get a modifier to your dodge roll. See pg.B377, the page it references. So yes, they can try to dodge.

However, as it's an area effect (an explosion in this case) you can only avoid damage by not being in the area affected. Since they've already done a dodge and drop (well, they should have a done a dive for cover the first time as that will get you a step further away from the blast's epicentre) they can't move any further, so it's moot as they will take damage regardless.
Thanks! That makes a whole lot of sense!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Onkl

I got a follow up question as I now think I missunderstood the whole concept of explosions:

My only hope of avoiding damage from an explosion would be to dodge & drop behind cover OR out of range of the explosion.

If I succeed on my dodge & drop roll to get one hex away from the explosion epicenter, but still am in the area of effect, I will still take damage?

EDIT: Actually, forget the follow up question. You can't be much clearer than what is written on B377.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Onkl; 12-21-2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Clearing things up...
Old 12-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Bruno

Basically, the only thing worse than one grenade at your feet, is diving away from the first grenade to find a second grenade at your nose.

Multiple explosions is a great way to get blown up :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
The Bearded One

On the gripping hand, Explosive Fireball is a great spell for burning up your FP very quickly. There is no FP savings for high skill level, so a 2d Fireball costs 4FP no matter how skilled you are. If you get lucky on the damage and do 10 points to your immediate target, the enemy standing 1m away only takes 3 (a good chance that'll be absorbed by DR), and enemies standing 2-3m away all take 1 point of damage, which again is unlikely to penetrate DR.

Unless your explosive-fireball caster has a lot of Energy Reserve, a large Powerstone, or a handfull of assistants with Lend/Share Energy, Explosive Fireball may not be a great choice as an offensive weapon.

-- The Bearded One
Player - G4e Sex Crossbows (Dungeon Fantasy)
Player - Deadlands
The Bearded One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bearded One View Post
On the gripping hand, Explosive Fireball is a great spell for burning up your FP very quickly. There is no FP savings for high skill level, so a 2d Fireball costs 4FP no matter how skilled you are. If you get lucky on the damage and do 10 points to your immediate target, the enemy standing 1m away only takes 3 (a good chance that'll be absorbed by DR), and enemies standing 2-3m away all take 1 point of damage, which again is unlikely to penetrate DR.

Unless your explosive-fireball caster has a lot of Energy Reserve, a large Powerstone, or a handfull of assistants with Lend/Share Energy, Explosive Fireball may not be a great choice as an offensive weapon.

-- The Bearded One
There's no TIME reduction for missile spells at high skill, they still get energy reductions. Its Blocking spells that get no energy reduction.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
The Bearded One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
There's no TIME reduction for missile spells at high skill, they still get energy reductions. Its Blocking spells that get no energy reduction.
My word, Dinadon, you are right. I misremembered, perhaps from 3rd edition--

Nope, I just checked. It seems I've been adjudicating missile spells incorrectly for almost 20 years. Shame on me, and thank you for pointing out my error.

Humbled,
-- The Bearded One
Player - G4e Sex Crossbows (Dungeon Fantasy)
Player - Deadlands
The Bearded One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bearded One View Post
My word, Dinadon, you are right. I misremembered, perhaps from 3rd edition--

Nope, I just checked. It seems I've been adjudicating missile spells incorrectly for almost 20 years. Shame on me, and thank you for pointing out my error.

Humbled,
-- The Bearded One
I would like the extra FP returned...with compound interest!

Tags
combat