Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #2321
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Which Pyramid has the Dungeon Fantasy article with the Mystic Knight?
From Pyramid #3/13: Thaumatology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Interesting but I could not follow all the math. In particular the converting base ability with the Obscure example.
It's just rejiggered Abilities at Default.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #2322
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
It's just rejiggered Abilities at Default.
Obscure is 2/level and Defining Display is Imbue 1 for 10 points.
As an AA that would be 5 levels of Obscure for 2 points.
Abilities at Default is just a skill penalty.Lets say your looking at 3 levels of Obscure (7 damage halved as levels of Obscure) for 6 points. Thats 60% of 10 which would normally require a roll at -6 (75%).
Somewhere your getting a 28% number which you round to 30%.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #2323
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Obscure is 2/level and Defining Display is Imbue 1 for 10 points.
As an AA that would be 5 levels of Obscure for 2 points.
Abilities at Default is just a skill penalty.Lets say your looking at 3 levels of Obscure (7 damage halved as levels of Obscure) for 6 points. Thats 60% of 10 which would normally require a roll at -6 (75%).
Somewhere your getting a 28% number which you round to 30%.
I suppose I should have been more specific - you only need a single level.

So Deafening Display is Obscure Hearing 1 [2] compared to the "average" cost of damage of 7. So 2/7 = 0.28... or around 30%
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #2324
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I suppose I should have been more specific - you only need a single level.

So Deafening Display is Obscure Hearing 1 [2] compared to the "average" cost of damage of 7. So 2/7 = 0.28... or around 30%
Ok, now I get what you meant. I pointed at this article in my latest one which I wrote because I took another stab at trying to figure Imbuements out and it sort of coalesced into a larger look at power frameworks.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #2325
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Boil and Bubble: Tips and Tricks for Ritual Path Magic

Today's post is about toying around with Ritual Path Magic and some things I've picked up along the way.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:37 PM   #2326
evileeyore
Banned
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Boil and Bubble: Tips and Tricks for Ritual Path Magic

Today's post is about toying around with Ritual Path Magic and some things I've picked up along the way.
Nice. At some point I'm going have to run a search on your site and compile all these into my notes...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:34 PM   #2327
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Nice. At some point I'm going have to run a search on your site and compile all these into my notes...
I have a few more coming up. :-)
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #2328
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA (Portland Metro)
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Going through your archives (the "convert G:DF Necromancer to RPM" article), there was a link to a closed (or otherwise unavailable) page, and I got to thinking.

Is there some way to allow Patreons to have access to a limited number of old/closed pages per month? I get that the problem with allowing Patreons to have access to ALL old content is the likelihood of "dine and dash" (i.e., they join for a month, they copy all the pages they want, they leave the next month).

But there's some GOOD stuff on there that I would like to read, and a lot of it's locked. Not even behind a paywall...

I don't know if Patreon or your web provider can track all that, so don't know if it's possible.

****************************

Either way, enjoyed both this article and the Diablo RPM article! :-)
__________________
I'm a collector, not a gamer. =)
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #2329
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA (Portland Metro)
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Also, a suggestion for an article.

"RPM On the Go."

Fast-cast rituals (the 15+ spells you can carry around for insta-cast) are set up in town, using the time and facilities available there.

What about halfway through the adventure, when it's time to replace the fire-and-forget spells used?

At best, there's the backpack ritual space (so a penalty on the casting), and a limited time to prepare. So what's a caster in the middle of an adventure supposed to do to get maximum bonuses on their fast-cast rituals?
__________________
I'm a collector, not a gamer. =)
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #2330
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Going through your archives (the "convert G:DF Necromancer to RPM" article), there was a link to a closed (or otherwise unavailable) page, and I got to thinking.
So that's a known problem - when I switched from Blogger to my own hosted blog links broke. I have a file for what's broken but I haven't been able to fix anything. Please be patient and use the switch function on my blog until I can find the time to fix them.

(Note: That particular post is here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Is there some way to allow Patreons to have access to a limited number of old/closed pages per month? I get that the problem with allowing Patreons to have access to ALL old content is the likelihood of "dine and dash" (i.e., they join for a month, they copy all the pages they want, they leave the next month).
Yes, it's on the main page. Because, donate to the blog and I'll pull files up from the past. Email me or contact me on Patreon for more information.

Quote:
Real Talk: If youíre wondering, ďwhy not just keep them available?Ē I have done that in the past and the result is that some (not all) patrons do a ďdine and dash.Ē They grab everything from the previous months, cancel their patronage, and Iím left hanging in the wind. Thatís soured me a bit. I like to think thatís a rarity and that if youíre patronizing me itís because you want to see me succeed, but this is the way itís got to me be. I will be allowing patrons (only) to access past specials, if they desire, by paying for them separately (via Paypal). Email me if you're interested in doing this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
But there's some GOOD stuff on there that I would like to read, and a lot of it's locked. Not even behind a paywall...
Again, I'm working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I don't know if Patreon or your web provider can track all that, so don't know if it's possible.
Not currently.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Either way, enjoyed both this article and the Diablo RPM article! :-)
Thanks! Glad you liked it. I need to go back and do it again for the new D3 stuff that's come out.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Monster Hunters Power Ups 1
Latest TFT Book: Crown of Eternity

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blogs

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.