Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 General Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Shipping costs

I looked at the Dungeon Fantasy RPG with the thought of buying it. Knowing that shipping costs can be a bit steep me and a friend have voiced the idea of sharing the shipping costs to get it here.

So, I added two copies of the boxed set to my cart and a short while later I saw the shipping costs. There were three options ranging from $87.06 to $102.90, being curious I looked further into the shipping methods. The slowest of these promised to get the stuff to me in 5 working days.

This all lead to a thought. I can be patient and am very prepared to wait for more that 5 days to get the stuff I order online. Have you guys looked into slower shipping options that might not be as expensive?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
RogerBW

Default Re: Shipping costs

(Not an SJGames employee, not speaking for the company.)

A few years ago, the cheap small-scale options for international post from the USA stopped being available. It's not just Warehouse 23 - nobody seems to have a good option any more. This is part of why so many Kickstarters now offer reshipping from inside the destination country or customs area: doing a bulk shipment that's then broken up for final delivery is simply much cheaper, if there's enough volume to justify it. (Lower thresholds for customs charges are the other part.)

It's a shame Warehouse 23 now offers very poor value to international customers, but I don't think there's much SJGames can do about it.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Your best option is to visit your local game store. Games shipped internationally to distributors go on pallets loaded into containers, greatly reducing the per item expense of shipping.

Overall, shipping costs have increased over the last five to ten years. Shipping from the US to other nations, though, have increased far more dramatically than US address to US address costs. Add to that any local fees, and you are better off finding a local store than ordering online.

We offer international shipping for those who prefer to order direct. We do not control the rates, though, and work within the options we are given that suit our requirements.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Žorkell

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Your best option is to visit your local game store. Games shipped internationally to distributors go on pallets loaded into containers, greatly reducing the per item expense of shipping.
Trust me, the FLGS here is not ordering pallets of stuff. They'll order at most 5-ish copies and I doubt the shipping costs would go down very much in that case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We offer international shipping for those who prefer to order direct. We do not control the rates, though, and work within the options we are given that suit our requirements.
I was aware that you don't control the rates, I just find the options available from DHL/FedEX/USPS odd. You can get the stuff ship fast and expensive or not at all.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Trust me, the FLGS here is not ordering pallets of stuff. They'll order at most 5-ish copies and I doubt the shipping costs would go down very much in that case.
Yeah, but the distributor does order pallets. That's why, in the UK, almost all games shops (including many of the on-line ones) go through the biggest distributor, Esdevium - it's much cheaper than direct importing at low volume.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
Mack_JB

Has anyone ever looked at using the USPS "M Bag" for shipping stuff in larger quantities to such places?

Starts at $46 for 11 pounds, and goes up to 66 pounds.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
serleran

M-Bags have special restrictions on the types of items that are deliverable, and most games do not fall into the categories. It is intended for "media" such as magazines, journals, newspaper, etc. Promotional items are possible, so some Munchkin stuff (and other SJG items) may qualify (bookmarks, specifically) but boxed games... not so much. Unless one wishes to falsify Customs documents (not suggesting it.)

Technically, even thin RPG material, such as the plethora of supplements and accessories for GURPS (and other games) is not supposed to be delivered via M-Bag. Similar to the rules for "media mail."
serleran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
Žorkell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Yeah, but the distributor does order pallets. That's why, in the UK, almost all games shops (including many of the on-line ones) go through the biggest distributor, Esdevium - it's much cheaper than direct importing at low volume.
There is one FLGS in the country. Nearest distributor would likely be Esdevium.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
I just find the options available from DHL/FedEX/USPS odd. You can get the stuff ship fast and expensive or not at all.
Correct. There's no "take forever to ship this cheaply" option for international shipping except when dealing with bulk rates (e.g., with distributors).

Quote:
And shipping from the UK to Iceland is far cheaper than shipping from the USA to Iceland. (According to the Royal Mail site, one can ship a 1 kg game there for as little as 8.60 GBP.) That's why your FLGS no doubt orders from a local* distributor like Esdevium, and why using local* options is going to give you much better shipping options than ordering direct from the USA.

* If not truly local, at least close enough to offer reasonable shipping choices.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:38 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
I suggest investigating personal freight forwarding services.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote