Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #21
hal

Default Re: [MH] Ten bore Colt 'pistol'

If you can get the stats on the bullet: bullet weight in grains, velocity at the muzzle, I can approximate the diameter of the bullet as a perfect sphere and get a decent damage value. If you know how much black powder is used in a charge, I can give it a shot at estimating muzzle velocity. I’ll see what I can dig up, if anything, via the net.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #22
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Yes, that's what I meant! When I said I didn't know a lot about guns, I didn't mean that I thought parts could simply be swapped... 😉
Eh, maybe you were basing things off of Fallout 4 (where a simple change to the receiver can take you from .308 to .50).

Quote:
2d-1 pi for pellets and 6d+1 pi+ (just pi+ for 10G, right?) for slugs sounds awesome to me!
Pi++ certainly - note the video states it’s a .75 caliber weapon. That’s a big honkin’ bullet. As for damage, I strongly suggest taking a close look at how HT handles it - I think it’s usually x(per shot RoF)/2, round down, for slug damage when starting from pellet damage, but can’t currently check. With RoF 11 per shot, that’s going to be a multiplier of x5 for 30 average damage (9d-1). It being a) black powder and b) an older revolver, damage may be lower than more modern 10G shotguns, however.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #23
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Eh, maybe you were basing things off of Fallout 4 (where a simple change to the receiver can take you from .308 to .50).r.
Oh, of course! Just like how I can glue a nib onto a ballpoint pen to make it a fountain pen. 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Pi++ certainly - note the video states it’s a .75 caliber weapon. That’s a big honkin’ bullet. As for damage, I strongly suggest taking a close look at how HT handles it - I think it’s usually x(per shot RoF)/2, round down, for slug damage when starting from pellet damage, but can’t currently check. With RoF 11 per shot, that’s going to be a multiplier of x5 for 30 average damage (9d-1). It being a) black powder and b) an older revolver, damage may be lower than more modern 10G shotguns, however.
Ah, you're right. I misread the Rifled Slug rules. Well, the other TL 5 10G shotguns in Adventure Guns do 2d-1 pi, so, multiplying that by 4 per the Rifled Slug rules, 6d+3 pi++. For RoF, it just says to drop any multiplier, which is where I got RoF 1 (or 2 in HT). Though, with Rcl 8, I suspect that most people aren't going for a second shot. For fun's sake, though, I think I'd stick with HT's stats, which would give me a final Acc 2, RoF 2, and Shots 5(10i), instead of AG's stats, which would give me a final Acc 3, RoF 1, and Shots 5(20i). Either way, that's a nice hand cannon!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #24
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Ah, as long as you're sure. I was mostly basing my guess on some old gun writers calling 240 grains "half an ounce". That would have been a Troy ounce.
I am as sure as Wikipedia is... It would be interesting to see if both systems were used at one time. Pretty sure that wire and sheet for precious metals isn't gauged with Troy pounds but there are a lot of historical gauge systems.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:20 AM   #25
hal

This is an excerpt from THIS webpage...

"The term “dram equivalent” is a holdover from the days when shotshells were loaded with blackpowder. Blackpowder is (or at least was) measured in “drams.” This is a weight measure, where 16 drams equal one ounce. At that measurement, 256 drams of blackpowder weigh one pound. (Trivia bonus! A pound of blackpowder is actually known as an “avoirdupois pound.”) All of that’s fine and good if you’re shooting a blackpowder shotgun — and that’s not likely. The shotshells you find on your retailer’s shelves today are, of course, loaded with modern smokeless propellents. These gunpowders are much lighter than blackpowder in the same volume, thus, loading a shell with smokeless powder using a black powder weight chart would be akin to shoving a small stick of dynamite in the barrel."

There being 7000 grains to a pound, a dram equals 27.34375 grains.

A square load is such that the same weight of the shot is equaled by the weight of the blackpowder involved. A 10 guage shotgun fires shot equal to 1/10th of a pound, or 700 grains total. If there are 9 pellets per shotgun shell, then each pellet would weigh about 77.8 grains.

I'm still trying to discover where I misplaced my Cartridges of the World reference book. Once I find it, I should be able to get more specifics on the shell itself, and then try to translate it directly to GURPS stats.

Until then, I'll simply keep an eye open for the book, and ask a few friends if I lent it to them or not.

:)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #26
MarcellRaba

So this thing is a revolver that shoots a ball roughly 19 mm in diameter, that weighs 700 grains and is black powder.

Black Powder has a typical chamber pressure of ~20k psi, but since this is a revolver we should expect somewhat lower, ~18k psi.

The barrel length is 12" or rougly 305 mm.

With all this data I'd give it a damage of 3d+1 or 3d+2 pi++ (just a reminder, the Brown Bess musket/cavalry carbine that shoots the same ball out of a much longer, 46 inch barrel, is 4d+2 pi++) with a RoF of 1 or even 1/2 considering how clunky it is to use. But definitely not 6d+3 pi++ or what the other suggestions were.
A Rcl of 7 to 10, but at this point its not like it matters.
A ST requirement of 12-13 (I'm leaning on 13) or even 14, weight is 6.5 lbs unloaded.
Acc of 1. Reload times as standard for caplock revolvers so 30i.
Range of 85/950-ish.

Edit: it's 19.7 mm ball, so 3d+2 pi++ is more in my zone of confidence for this, for the Rcl values I'd pick 7 personally. Afterall this much lead is usually fired from 10+ lbs guns and not 6.5 lbs ones and even the Brown Bess has an Rcl of 4 for this.

Last edited by MarcellRaba; 10-23-2019 at 02:15 PM.
MarcellRaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #27
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcellRaba View Post
So this thing is a revolver that shoots a ball roughly 19 mm in diameter, that weighs 700 grains and is black powder.
This thing started as a full size shotgun, it was turned into a pistol.

This is probably a nicer version of what they started with.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...-gauge-shotgun

Here is a video of from Forgotten Weapons of a full size one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbKDkOAi6Mo

Last edited by adm; 10-23-2019 at 03:16 PM.
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #28
MarcellRaba

Yeah but you have to account for the much shorter barrel length, you will never get 6d+x out of this unless you pour like 25 drams of powder in one cylinder and apply a barrel extension.
MarcellRaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #29
adm

Being a revolver, the cylinder pressure will not change.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #30
dcarson

One other advantage is the ammo is big enough that you can build the interesting custom stuff that monster hunters and such need.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote